Stec 30 alt hold problem

After getting my electric trim switch replaced, my altitude hold quit working. I don’t know if I blew a fuse or what. I have gone through all the wires and made sure nothing is shorted.

My avionics guy won’t be able to look at it before May 21st. Stec has not been forth coming with info and Auto pilots have not replied to my emails or messages.

The Blue Alt light does not come on when I turn on the ap and pressing the button on the yoke to activate it does nothing now.

Any ideas or expertise on it I would love to hear it. Maybe I can do some trouble shooting before May.

c688ae20cbc79c0ec96e4c6129484c96.jpg

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trim and alt both have buttons on the yoke right? If yes, then my guess is one if the wires to alt hold button is disconnected, broken.

I thought that, so I checked all wires. The trim switch is on the left horn and the alt hold switch is on the right horn of the yoke. And I wouldn’t think that would keep the light from coming on at the head unit on the panel.

After getting my electric trim switch replaced, my altitude hold quit working. I don’t know if I blew a fuse or what. I have gone through all the wires and made sure nothing is shorted.

My avionics guy won’t be able to look at it before May 21st. Stec has not been forth coming with info and Auto pilots have not replied to my emails or messages.

The Blue Alt light does not come on when I turn on the ap and pressing the button on the yoke to activate it does nothing now.

Any ideas or expertise on it I would love to hear it. Maybe I can do some trouble shooting before May.
c688ae20cbc79c0ec96e4c6129484c96.jpg
Thank you

The altitude hold is a gizmo under the panel attached to the pitot static system (mine is blue). I would check to make sure of the wiring on it. Not positive, but I think your pitch computer would be in the avionics bay. Check that as well.

ef143e9828e52da67f52e45af69bb5fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

All I know is every time I have work done on my plane, something electrical breaks, 40 year old wiring is fragile. I have a squawk right now I’m waiting to get fixed.

True story!!! I wish I could sell my 201, house, cars, first born child and a lot of blood to be able to buy an Acclaim ultra on days like this. Thanks for the suggestion and I’ll double check the wires today.

The altitude hold is a gizmo under the panel attached to the pitot static system (mine is blue). I would check to make sure of the wiring on it. Not positive, but I think your pitch computer would be in the avionics bay. Check that as well.

ef143e9828e52da67f52e45af69bb5fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My gizmo is behind the panel too. It’s a gold color, about like the gpss. I believe it has two small wires to it. But I’m guessing it’s just a diagram or whatever is used to sense pressure change. If it didn’t work would that mean the Blue alt hold would not come on?

I’ll check to see if I have any power to the servo in the avionics bay and hope the computer isn’t bad.

Thank you

C,

If it makes sense,  ask your mechanic if a 14v transformer would work for your situation...

I think a few instrument panels have had this done for various electronic devices.

One MSer recently had two different volt meters... one on the 24v ship’s gauge and another reading the stepped down 12v device...

It might make sense if the proper version is hard or expensive to obtain...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
C,
If it makes sense,  ask your mechanic if a 14v transformer would work for your situation...
I think a few instrument panels have had this done for various electronic devices.
One MSer recently had two different volt meters... one on the 24v ship’s gauge and another reading the stepped down 12v device...
It might make sense if the proper version is hard or expensive to obtain...
PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.
Best regards,
-a-

Forgot to post, but it was a loose connection. Easy peasy

• Like 1