S-Tec GPSS Switch ST-901 $700

On 4/21/2018 at 1:01 PM, teejayevans said:

If you look at the last picture, on the side you see what it will work with, something Collins.....OP should take a picture of side so it’s clear.

It says "This unit modified for use with: King KCS 55A." 

On 4/21/2018 at 3:40 PM, Drumstick said:

Is this compatible with any STEC 30 or does it require a specific HSI etc?

It is compatible with most any Stec 30 however it must have a couple of resistors changed in both the ST 901 and the Stec panel unit. This is necessary to set the gain for the equipment currently installed ie HSI make and model or DG make and model. The resistors are not common and must be purchased and installed thru an Stec dealer. Once done it is the single best upgrade you can do to an autopilot like the Stec 30 as it now will intercept and track course including holds. About the only thing it will not do is track the GS. It turns the Stec 30 into  a much more robust system.

6 hours ago, Cris said:

It is compatible with most any Stec 30 however it must have a couple of resistors changed in both the ST 901 and the Stec panel unit. This is necessary to set the gain for the equipment currently installed ie HSI make and model or DG make and model. The resistors are not common and must be purchased and installed thru an Stec dealer. Once done it is the single best upgrade you can do to an autopilot like the Stec 30 as it now will intercept and track course including holds. About the only thing it will not do is track the GS. It turns the Stec 30 into  a much more robust system.

Chris, do you know anything about resistors in the Stec 50 with the Garmin G5 HSI and heading mode? I've heard I need to remove some to make the aircraft track the heading bug. Right now, it just turns through the course and hunts flying left and right about the heading.

11 hours ago, OSUAV8TER said:

Chris, do you know anything about resistors in the Stec 50 with the Garmin G5 HSI and heading mode? I've heard I need to remove some to make the aircraft track the heading bug. Right now, it just turns through the course and hunts flying left and right about the heading.

Yes It is the same issue as I described for the Stec 30. The resistor needs to be changed to match the new HSI. You can verify this if you call Stec support at Genysis. Any Stec dealer can change the resistor. It is a simple process but the resistors must be gotten thru Stec which will only sell to a dealer. 

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:30 PM, Cris said:

Anyone here every done this work and have an estimated cost?

Mine is in the shop right now to have this done with some other work so I’ll let you know. Hope to have it back next week. I was quoted $200  verbally by NexAir in Ma. & $500 if I sent it to Genysis. My local shop said the resistor kit was $100 so the Nexair quote might have been for just the labor. I suspect the installation and resistor change would be $1000 or less. 

Edited by Cris