Sun N Fun Learnings

I am starting this thread to share some learnings for those of you who couldn’t attend.

Spoke to the TruTrak guys on their autopilot. I like the unit but was a bit surprised that indicated airspeed climbs will not be available with the unit’s release later this summer. They said it would be introduced “within 2 years”.

Spoke with the Dynon folks. Really liked the display and the unit’s capabilities. Asked about Mooneys and they said that their priorities are set by interest shown by potential buyers. Suggested if you want them to “do Mooneys next”, go tot their website and request it.

Checked out the new Aspen E5. The display is sharper and brighter than the Aspen PFD that was next to it.

PS Engineering introduced the 450B. It has the ability to handle 2 Bluetooth inputs at the same time. So this means you can have your cell phone connected for music and an iPad for the alerts from ForeFlight. Unit also has the ability to provide several warnings through the headset and even user programmed ones.

Stopped by a booth where they are working on a HUD display. Told me they have been working closely with Aspen. If you have an Aspen, this will drive the HUD. I will be watching this one.

fb24fb607aedddf96ed4b74dce859dc2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Chris - does the GRT booth have their Hudly setup?  Seems like a cheap and possibly easily adapted HUD solution.  I’m thinking the wired version with screen mirroring of your favorite EFB may be a good situational awareness tool. 

Chris - does the GRT booth have their Hudly setup?  Seems like a cheap and possibly easily adapted HUD solution.  I’m thinking the wired version with screen mirroring of your favorite EFB may be a good situational awareness tool. 

I’m not familiar with the GRT people. These are the folks I spoke with.

3eecbac6bc87737db66e50d1ba7eed22.jpg

I'm surprised ... here's the Grand Rapids Technology (GRT) version that runs with an off the shelf car HUD unit and is driven by their own app from the PFD/MFD.  Seems cheap / easy / not a permanent installation...

http://grtavionics.com/home/efis-systems/heads-up-display/

I'd think that it would be fun to take the same Hudly setup and screen mirror foreflight / GP synth vision / map. 

Really anything to remind you to keep your head up and outside ... especially if you fly a Cirrus  ;-p

Garmin and Aspen could have a field day with this type of stuff.  FS-510 bluetooth'ed air data from your G500-Txi / G5  etc to your Garmin Pilot and create a half-day for a coder basic monochrome PFD to beam to one of these devices.  I bet they'd sell pretty well.  Pop some traffic / terrain / airspace alerts on there.  Flirting with augmented reality in the GA cockpit then....

Wouldn't it be cool

Large collimator that spans across the cockpit dash.  A few ceiling mounted mini projectors in various directions augmenting the world outside for SA.  Kind of approaching that F35 Helmet HUD... 

• Like 2

Not the least bit interested in a, "tablet app HUD."
I'm probably a little biased because I use a HUD at work, I like the fact that I can shoot approaches to zero zero and never see the runway. Not saying that will happen with the Huds in our price range, but the idea is the same.
In my opinion, simply reproducing a foreflight screen on a HUD is a useless thing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

HUDs are cool, but some of the GA implementations are real head-scratchers to me.  It's as if in pursuit of the HUD concept, developers forget you actually still need to look out the window to see "real" reality.

Look at this thing I saw pop up on AvWeb today: https://epicoptix.com/blog/2017/07/video-head-up-display-for-light-ga-epic-optix-hud/  It's a gargantuan monstrosity.  In the video on that page, the guy flying the demo not only has the HUD unit, but also two GoPros, a Garmin portable, some sort of antenna, and some other gizmo, all on the glareshield or windshield.  I'm surprised he could taxi to the runway without hitting anything...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For GA, the most interesting possibility would be if it would display ADS-B traffic.  That is, look through the diamond or arrow to spot the traffic.  The other thing that might be nice would be a velocity vector.  That's the one that shows where you will impact if you maintain your current flightpath.  VV clears the hills?  You'll clear them.  VV clears the clouds, so will you.  VV on the numbers?  You're looking good.  And maybe an AOA with selectable indicators for final approach, best glide, best rate, max range, and 95% of max range on the fast side of max.

Review of what we would need for the HUD...

• up where we can see it...
  • Not in the way of everything else that can be seen....
  • Data being displayed is actual air data...  I would be using it in the traffic pattern and to land... actual Airspeed, Vertical Velocity, and AOA....
  • HSI data? Not so needed for the HUD?  Complete Aspen Display data moved to the HUD?
  • Include Any engine monitor warnings...
  • weather info, lightning strikes as if I were seeing them out front...
  • traffic info... (this will be interesting...) traffic as if I were to see it out front...

I was trying to capture as many of the MS ideas as I could...

Best rgeards,

-a-

On 4/13/2018 at 4:11 PM, Marauder said:

I’m not familiar with the GRT people. These are the folks I spoke with.

3eecbac6bc87737db66e50d1ba7eed22.jpg

Sounds really great, but at 10k to expensive for me. I was looking at the EPIC OPTIX one at 2,000 looks more affordable. I was wondering if you saw it in S&F.

Oscar

Sounds really great, but at 10k to expensive for me. I was looking at the EPIC OPTIX one at 2,000 looks more affordable. I was wondering if you saw it in S&F.

Oscar

I’m not sure where you got the $10k from. If you look in the upper left box, it says they haven’t set prices yet. This is consistent with what the sales guys said to me.

I didn’t see the EPIC OPTIX unit. Wasn’t really looking for heads up displays. Just came upon these guys.

The 10k figure is mentioned in their video.

I didn’t see the video. If the price ends up at $10k, they won’t get many takers from this population of Cheap Bast$&ds.

17 hours ago, Bravoman said:

And the King folks coming out with the slide in digital retrofit for the control heads for the legacy autopilots in most of our planes by the end of this year. Will be about 10 AMUs

Considering the 2015 announced KI-300 still isn't shipping yet, I'm not going to be holding my breath. And really, I'd rather have the Garmin full replacement, but we'll see when that hits Mooneyland.

Off the top of my head download:

-TBM 930 at the show with a unique seating arrangement 4 facing forward with a toilet in the back. Not sure I’d like to give up the extra two seats. 

-Lancair mako has sold 10 planes so far with 90 percent of them being turbo models and 90 percent Lycoming. A fully decked out unit professionally built is touching 500k. They still have two legacy kits available and are considering a version 2.0 if enough interest is shown. 

-Cessna and Beechcraft had a couple planes each on display. Have to admit I’m a huge fan of the A36.  

-TruTrak said they are currently working on aspen software integration that will allow ILS coupled approaches, electric trim, TAS climbs, etc. Limitations will be hopefully removed and options added in the next year or two. Electric trim will plug in to the main system with a separate module. 

-Aspen said the E5 cannot be combined with other aspen screens. Also the failure mode is gps assisted so will not go to the red X if ps system is lost. 

-ForeFlight would not comment on future gel 50 and 52 compatibility but could sense it was an idea they were considering. 

-Garmin would not specify GFC600 vs 500 for the longbody aircraft. 

"TBM 930 at the show with a unique seating arrangement 4 facing forward with a toilet in the back. Not sure I’d like to give up the extra two seats."

The more people you have in a plane the greater the chances someone needs to go. That's why they have four or more toilets on the airliners.

I would rather have a pilot relief tube than an extra door. And some form of retractable window shades like those on the airliners.

José

Edited by Piloto

13 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Mooney had a nice showing at Sun and Fun. Every salesperson was professional and engaging to everyone that walked in. 

The ultra on display had noticeably higher finish quality vs the model on display last Oshkosh.  Keep up the good work. F81F2953-8764-47D3-95BA-F5E266853115.thumb.jpeg.ebef10e779f76ccf4b95911d1c75d711.jpeg

Finally their are learning... Let's see what they do in Oshkosh this year.Marketing is as important as the product you are selling. If you can not communicate what a first class product you are selling you are not going to succeed. 

1 hour ago, Oscar Avalle said:

Finally their are learning... Let's see what they do in Oshkosh this year.Marketing is as important as the product you are selling. If you can not communicate what a first class product you are selling you are not going to succeed. 

Oscar, they intend to have the same display at AirVenture. 

• Like 1

I talked to Aspen about the E5 and he said that you can legally fly an ILS approach with the dots shown on the top part of the PFD screen.  There is not CDI presentation at the bottom.  Didn't ask if you still need an external CDI.  No $ value to upgrade the E5 to the Pro 1000 by software but is is an option.

Just now, 1964-M20E said:

I talked to Aspen about the E5 and he said that you can legally fly an ILS approach with the dots shown on the top part of the PFD screen.  There is not CDI presentation at the bottom.  Didn't ask if you still need an external CDI.  No $ value to upgrade the E5 to the Pro 1000 by software but is is an option.

Now from a hardware perspective what is the difference?