convair B-38

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

If I had to pin down my favorite experimental military plane it would be the XB-70 Valkyrie.  It was the Steve McQueen of the skies and just reeked cool even when standing still.

I'm glad they didn't all die in the touch n' go.

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

If I had to pin down my favorite experimental military plane it would be the XB-70 Valkyrie.  It was the Steve McQueen of the skies and just reeked cool even when standing still.

Oh dear...he did a touch n go at 4:30...I'm sure he advanced his throttles slowly and stayed at full power until TOC keeping the fuel in his wet wing tanks (no bladders) safe...all while remaining ROP

44 minutes ago, Kris_Adams said:

Oh dear...he did a touch n go at 4:30...I'm sure he advanced his throttles slowly and stayed at full power until TOC keeping the fuel in his wet wing tanks (no bladders) safe...all while remaining ROP

Judging from the belching of black smoke, I assume he was not leaning it out.

• Like 1

The one remaining Valkyrie is on display at the Air Force Museum in Dayton to this day.  It is quite a sight.  That said, with full fuel (which is would need badly) the Valkyrie couldn't carry missiles, bombs, or much more than a peanut butter sandwich.

20 minutes ago, steingar said:

The one remaining Valkyrie is on display at the Air Force Museum in Dayton to this day.  It is quite a sight.  That said, with full fuel (which is would need badly) the Valkyrie couldn't carry missiles, bombs, or much more than a peanut butter sandwich.

But it sure looked good doing it.

• Like 1

Back to SAC movie....Happy Pilot Jimmy Stewart with winey wife June Allison frets and whines every time poor Jimmy goes up.He develops sympathetic medical syndrome and is fired by Base commander boss.No going away ceremony,nothing,nada ,just see you later sucker.Wife June Allison now happy Husband Jimmy is insurance salesman from Smalltown Illinois.I cried throughout entire movie.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2018 at 3:12 PM, kerry said:

I wonder if I could get field approval for a couple of RC jet engines to put on my Mooney wing tips.  Might help to get me to cruising altitude.

make the retractable in the fuselage then when not running they don't produce drag :D

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:32 PM, AaronDC8402 said:

Boeing YC-14. According to Wikipedia, only 2 were ever built. 

Wow!

My old manager had a scanned picture on his desktop of (the other) one, in camo-paint scheme.

Picture was taken in 1970-s at Iceland airport, during the ferry trip to airshow in Europe. Very unique airplane.