Intake Duct Needed

Lasar is a great resource...

The factory should be able to answer whether they can make some new ones... or have some NOS somewhere...

Several of these are needed each year by various Mooney owners... 

Another company / MSer was talking about making them...  

Search around MS for that thing, there has got to be some recent discussion regarding how others have solved this important challenge.

Good luck,

-a-

On 2018-04-12 at 8:50 AM, N6018Q said:

Thanks! First place I checked was Lasar, they are OOS with no ETA. I did find one Top Gun Aviation in Stockton Ca for $265 

Sucking dirt into your engine can be more harmful to your wallet than 265$, buy it before its gone.

Clarence

16 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Sucking dirt into your engine can be more harmful to your wallet than 265$, buy it before its gone.

Clarence

I did. I could stick my finger through some of the  holes in the old one

• 2 weeks later...

Well crap, my boot went from a few frays last year to I can get 2 fingers through the bottom.  Now Mooney is telling Lasar and SWTA that because of quality assurance issues they are going back to the manufacturer to revise their materials.

I guess this is good on Mooney to be proactive and fix an ongoing problem on this part.  

But.... I need a boot!  Duct tape anyone?

I also tried Top Gun, Dugosh, Oasis and Maxwell.  If anybody knows of one on a shelf somewhere, I'd be interested.

Fine (1oz) fiberglass cloth and black RTV does a fine job of patching the holes. 

Take it off, clean it with solvent than scrub it with a tooth brush and laundry soap and water. Let it dry thourouly. Smear on a thin coat of black RTV then stick a small patch of cloth over the hole and push it down into the RTV without pushing it through the hole so it lays flat. Let it cure and then put another layer of RTV to compleatly cover the cloth.

Do this to both the inside and outside. Try to keep it thin so it doesn't stiffen up the coupler.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I do not like the possibility of RTV, fiber glass or duct tape being sucked into the air intake.   There used to be a process of patching rubber called hot vulcanizing.  Does anyone know if it or something like it is still available?

Any body have an update on availabity of new boots from factory or elsewhere?