Has anyone re-instated their CFI in their Mooney?

BaldEagle

So I let my CFI-I expire about 12 years ago, and deeply regret it now that my wife is showing an interest in learning to fly.  My (our) M20J has toe brakes on the pilot side, so I'm thinking this could be done economically, i.e. in our own airplane.  There doesn't seem to be much in the way of recent info on how to get this done however.  Anyone been down this road recently?  As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't have to do the written exams again, but I need to do a practical test with a DPE (or FAA examiner).  The DPE / examiner chooses whether the test will be using CFI or CFI-I practical test standards, but in either case both the CFI and CFI-I are re-instated.  Alternatively I go and get my MEI, which would also re-instate the CFI/I, but I'm loathed to spend $$$ on a Duchess or similar.  At least that's my understanding of options, but any advice / corrections would be gratefully received.

9 minutes ago, BaldEagle said:

So I let my CFI-I expire about 12 years ago, and deeply regret it now that my wife is showing an interest in learning to fly.  My (our) M20J has toe brakes on the pilot side, so I'm thinking this could be done economically, i.e. in our own airplane.  There doesn't seem to be much in the way of recent info on how to get this done however.  Anyone been down this road recently?  As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't have to do the written exams again, but I need to do a practical test with a DPE (or FAA examiner).  The DPE / examiner chooses whether the test will be using CFI or CFI-I practical test standards, but in either case both the CFI and CFI-I are re-instated.  Alternatively I go and get my MEI, which would also re-instate the CFI/I, but I'm loathed to spend $$$ on a Duchess or similar.  At least that's my understanding of options, but any advice / corrections would be gratefully received.

Get a glider CFI.

Jen was just posting about getting her CFI and her thread would fill you in on these areas and more.  Yes, many of us have done our CFI in a Mooney with no toe brakes on the right, just need to work it out with the examiner.

1 hour ago, takair said:

Not much of an issue in a J. The gear switch works from either seat. I don't have brakes on the right so my insurance broker had be send a formal letter to my underwriter putting them on notice I may have another pilot in the left to operate the brakes but that I wasn't giving instruction or letting them fly. Otherwise he said its an uphill battle trying to claim you were flying from the right seat after an accident.

-Robert

I think I kind of focused on the brakes...gotta read the entire thing.  Would probably talk to the local flight school or FSDO, but I don’t have any actual relevant advice, except go for it and don’t let it lapse....too much of a pain to get these things back.