M20F mixture knob

Not sure about the legality of producing them. The ones I have done so far fall into the category of owner installed parts (one offs). I would think that for any kind of production run some kind of PMA or similar approval would be required. 

I have never tried one of the 3D printing sites. I could make the model available and you could send them the file and see how it comes out. I would still need an old throttle and prop knob to make models of. It would be plastic but better than nothing. 

Not sure about the legality of producing them. The ones I have done so far fall into the category of owner installed parts (one offs). I would think that for any kind of production run some kind of PMA or similar approval would be required. 
I have never tried one of the 3D printing sites. I could make the model available and you could send them the file and see how it comes out. I would still need an old throttle and prop knob to make models of. It would be plastic but better than nothing. 

I think they fall under the user produced part. If the part is available for purchase then you are obligated to use the correct part. For something that is no longer produced, this is where it gets questionable. If I provide the specifications of the part and have someone make it for me, then I think it is not an intent to sell and doesn’t require a PMA.

21.303 contains the reg. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I read that paragraph. It sounds like I had better not "produce them". 
They do look sweet though. I think I will turn some for my J. Maybe I will make the throttle gold anodized to symbolize pushing money away...

I took the time while here at Sun N Fun to ask a number of true manufacturers their definition of “owner produced parts”. They all said basically the same. If I have a broken part, provided this part with the instruction to duplicate it to someone and they made it for me, it would be considered owner produced. “Owner produced” doesn’t mean I need to make it.

So, if I provide someone my broken part, anyone care to make it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Those look cool!!!! I would gladly break mine if I could get someone to cut me a set. The gold color is a good idea:) I would really like a full set that upgraded my cowl flaps, heater, air vent, and break knob too. But doubt that could be done. a92389a0c4e0324e82612ec614674c3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.savvyaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/articles_eaa/EAA_2011-08_owner-produced-parts.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiM-czhvOTdAhUWJjQIHbETB0oQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0zT2h4Hqm68i4yAuLfyDbL

Byrne explained that it is not necessary for 
the owner to actually manufacture the 
part himself for the part to be considered 
an “owner-produced part.” The owner 
may contract with a mechanic, a repair 
station, or even a non-certifi cated individ-
ual or fi rm (e.g., a machine shop) to 
manufacture the part for him, provided 
that the owner “participated in controlling 
the design, manufacture or quality of the 
part.” The FAA deems the part to be 
owner-produced if the owner does any of 
the following things:
• Provides the manufacturer with design 
or performance data from which to 
manufacture the part—this test would 
be met if the owner provides the manu-
facturer with the old part and asks that 
it be duplicated; or
• Provides materials to make the part; or
• Provides fabrication processes or 
assembly methods to be used in making 
the part; or
• Provides quality control procedures to 
be used in making the part; or
• Supervises the manufacture of the part.
In short, a part whose manufacture is 
contracted by the aircraft owner will qual-
ify as “owner-produced” if the owner 
participates in the production of the part in 
any meaningful way at all.

[/Quote] ??? Ok I give up - quote from faa docs above my comments below.

So you see if one sent a 3D printer outfit a request to

3D print using FDM processes - a knob shaped like <insert picture>

to fit around a lever of these dimensions X Y Z with hole a diameter M" with theads a/b"x 12 on (right/left) side

made in PETG/ABS-FR at 100% infill in ROYGBIV color. 

One would meet owner supplied criteria.:huh: I think I've said it before in less direct form ;)

Edited by Hephaestus
Trying to fix formatting make understandable

I printed a mixture knob just to see how it would turn out. It would need some wet sanding to get it perfect but I was very happy with the print. It does not compare to the aluminum one but still I was suprised how well it came out.  

(Pink is just what was in the printer)

I put the solid model up on "Thingiverse ". Just search mooney and you will find it. 

E4533AB2-1AA4-4DDA-8B21-1B3395140C46.jpeg

0E79914B-1272-4E90-8466-C35170E08540.jpeg

• Like 2