Brittain Turn Coordinator - 1967 M20F

Hi--I'm new to the Mooney world.  Bought a 1967 M20F that has a Brittain Accutrak system.  We noticed the turn coordinator stopped working on a long flight recently--which I'm guessing is why the Accutrak auto pilot is now not working (and basically tried to put us into a barrel roll when turned on--that was not fun).  I am making the assumption that the TC needs to be overhauled--I have it with a Mooney shop in Southern California that can pull it for me but can't repair it.  It is the version with the roll trim dial on the lower left corner.

I have read about the passing of the gentleman who ran Brittain--and that they are no longer an option for repairs.  Does anyone have some advice on where I could go for an overhaul or exchange?  I would hate to lose the Accutrak function even though it only tracks the 430/VOR...but in the short term...I can't legally file IFR without a working TC...so I'm wondering if there is someone anybody could recommend for a full overhaul or troubleshooting?  Thanks very much in advance...

• 6 months later...

I recently found myself in the same situation.  I have the Mooney PC system on my 1968 Exec.  Recently it stopped picking up the right wing when it was low.  It will level a left bank quickly, however.  There is an Avionics/instrument shop in Howell, Michigan called Preferred Avionics.  They tell me that they can overhaul the Brittain turn coordinator for the Mooney PC system.  I have not had mine done as of yet so I can’t speak to the accuracy of this but you may want to give them a call.  (800)736-6143

Good luck!

• Like 1

It is easy to tell if the TC is working or not. Turn the airplane and see if the little airplane turns.

The servo valve on the back is almost identical to the coupling to the little airplane on the front. 

It is unlikely that one would stop working and the other would be OK.

• Like 1

In my case, the TC 100 EVS had failed. No movement or gyro activity. I overhauled it (expensive) and it still would not work. The problem seemed to be the electrical connection from the connected power inverter. We had power going to that piece but nothing continuing on the TC. I guess the shop didn’t overhaul or look at that which I’ll have to take up with them.

So we swapped out the whole unit with another one and everything now works. PC and all the lines seem good, nothing changed with the connections or lines.  So if you have a TC 100 EVS that has failed...it may be an electrical issue, not a need to overhaul?

Im far from knowledgeable on any of it...this is my first Mooney...some people said it should work with just vacuum but that wasn’t the case  

Still having problems with the Accutrak unit tracking gps headings...but we haven’t done any troubleshooting to see what the issue is yet. One gremlin at a time...

24 minutes ago, sw1024 said:

In my case, the TC 100 EVS had failed. No movement or gyro activity. I overhauled it (expensive) and it still would not work. The problem seemed to be the electrical connection from the connected power inverter. We had power going to that piece but nothing continuing on the TC. I guess the shop didn’t overhaul or look at that which I’ll have to take up with them.

So we swapped out the whole unit with another one and everything now works. PC and all the lines seem good, nothing changed with the connections or lines.  So if you have a TC 100 EVS that has failed...it may be an electrical issue, not a need to overhaul?

Im far from knowledgeable on any of it...this is my first Mooney...some people said it should work with just vacuum but that wasn’t the case  

Still having problems with the Accutrak unit tracking gps headings...but we haven’t done any troubleshooting to see what the issue is yet. One gremlin at a time...

Even if the electrical doesn't work, the gyro should work with vacuum. If it won't work with vacuum, then you have an issue with whoever overhauled it. 

• Like 2

Check your wiring and your vacuum hoses before sending in the TC for overhaul.

I replaced mine a while back assuming that it was the TC because I knew what M201MKTurbo said, that if you have one of the power sources, it would still work and mine didn't.  When we removed it, we found that the old hoses were shot.  We reinstalled the replacement TC100, replaced the hoses and wired up the power supply...    I still assumed that I had moved forward because...obviously, the electrical on the old one was shot...except upon test flight, the electrical flag didn't move... hmmm.  That's odd, it worked perfectly when bench tested.  Sure Enough.  The old one was just fine, the electrical source in the plane was faulty.

Just my experience, check everything first before overhauling or replacing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2018 at 8:56 PM, Minnesota Mooney Guy said:

Guys - Brittian was purchased and they just announced after getting the FAA clearances they will be servicing their customers on the wait list. I would look them up on the web and talk to them also.

When I say these guys do Brittian instruments, They are all pretty much in the same hangar   https://www.autopilotcentral.com/

or one hangar over.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread. However, I've got to have my tc100 EVS overhauled. I found a place that has a guy that used to work for Britton industries. So if you ever need to have one rebuilt try this:

www.porterstrait.com

Bob

• Like 1