Acclaim Tempest Fine Wires

Hello Mooney Fanatics 

I’m trying to find some feedback on the Tempest Fine Wires URHB32S.  I have a champion massives currently and the aircraft stumbles LOP and doesn’t care to idle well until the tach reads 1200-1300.  

Few questions:

Did it save fuel? 

Was the mag drop spread more narrow? 

Did it idle smoother? 

Was it worth the money?

I have a 231, but a turbo and Continental, when I put the fine wires in it did make a difference in LOP operations. It saved fuel as it allowed my plane to fly LOP without a stumble when LOP (13.5GPH to 10.8GPH), Mag drop if 50 RPMs at the most, allows lean on Taxi.  Here in Canada they cost me $100 per plug, I still though it was worth it having a smoother and happier engine.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 3:41 PM, Mooneymuscle56m said:

Hello Mooney Fanatics 

I’m trying to find some feedback on the Tempest Fine Wires URHB32S.  I have a champion massives currently and the aircraft stumbles LOP and doesn’t care to idle well until the tach reads 1200-1300.  

Few questions:

Did it save fuel? 

Was the mag drop spread more narrow? 

Did it idle smoother? 

Was it worth the money?

Welcome to the forum.  I'm not sure your idling issue is related to your plugs exclusively, but again, I don't know the history of your engine and your operating habits.  I strongly suggest you reach out to Brian Kendrick in San Marcos, TX (brian@mooneysupport.net), introduce yourself, and tell him Steve told you to write.  He will know to whom you're referring.  His website is http://www.mooneysupport.net.

As far as Tempest fine wire plugs - the short answer is Yes...they are worth every penny.  When it comes to the IO550/TSIO550 platform, the best ignition system you can have today for those engines is a Gold Seal ignition harness from CMI, a set of Iridium fine wire plugs, and Bendix mags.

Some will argue against fine wire plugs, but after running both types in two different engines and seeing dramatic differences in the way of better performance across all the parameters you describe, I'd spend the money again in a minute.  Do not skimp here...spend the extra money.  Your engine will thank you.

• Like 2

I changed out my massives several years ago on my carbureted O-360. I got a great deal on the Tempest fine wires at that time.

My engine runs smoother and seems to be able to run leaner, but I haven't measured any fuel savings.  I've never had a plug issue during a mag check.

Since fine wires are supposed to last 4 times longer than Massives,  fine wires are actually cheaper if you keep your plane that long.  The fine wires don't need much care at all, while massives need constant cleaning and gap checking. 

The only question is:  will you keep your airplane long enough to get your money  out of them.  If you're just getting ready to sell,  I'd just get Tempest massives.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mooneymuscle56m said:

I should have clarified, idle only stumbles when cold below 1200.  When it warms up it’s fine.  

Thank you all for the feedback.  

Give Brian a ring regardless (phone number on his website).  Please.  I can't emphasize that enough.

The Acclaim is a unique machine in many ways.  Brian is an expert in flying and maintaining both the Acclaim and Ovation platforms, and will guide you through investigating and making sure you're not throwing money away on the wrong things or operating the aircraft in a way that isn't suggested or advised.  Other Ovation and Acclaim owners here will vouch accordingly.  PM me if you want to chat or if I can help but you both together.

Steve

1 hour ago, Mooneymuscle56m said:

I should have clarified, idle only stumbles when cold below 1200.  When it warms up it’s fine.  

Thank you all for the feedback.  

I did speak with Brian about an unrelated issue after my last post, and mentioned this.  Your fuel flow divider ("the spider") may be the culprit when cold.

Either way, call him.

• Like 1

My TSIO-360 does not like Champion plugs at all. It doesn’t idle smoothly and LOP operation became difficult at times. Additionally, I’ve had a number of Champion plugs fail, some in as little as 50 hours.

I tried the Tempest Massive Plugs about 300 hours ago. The engine idles better, LOP is now just plain simple and I haven’t had to replace a plug yet. I’m pretty happy with their performance.

I have not used fine wire plugs yet but, probably will when the engine is overhauled in another 200 hours. 

• Like 1