New Bose Headset

Just saw that Bose introduced a new in ear noise cancelling headset. It looks nice, I was just wondering how it would work in our Mooney cockpit environment, particularly if it is being advertised that it has been developed for "moderately noisy aircraft". So any PIREP????

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/aviation_headsets/proflight-aviation-headset.html

Just saw that Bose introduced a new in ear noise cancelling headset. It looks nice, I was just wondering how it would work in our Mooney cockpit environment, particularly if it is being advertised that it has been developed for "moderately noisy aircraft". So any PIREP????

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/aviation_headsets/proflight-aviation-headset.html

I have a Bose in ear noise canceling headset for non aviation use. The ear piece look exactly like the ones in the video. They are fine for noise in a commercial aircraft and based on the video, looks designed for the Jet A crowd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I have a Bose in ear noise canceling headset for non aviation use. The ear piece look exactly like the ones in the video. They are fine for noise in a commercial aircraft and based on the video, looks designed for the Jet A crowd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Me too - the Bose QC20 - at the non aviation cost of $250 - or I get em' used (as new) on eBay for $175 I think.

LOVE em!  I use them whenever I travel commercial, any flight long enough that they show you movies and I do arrive just that much more refreshed from sitting in a calm quiet environment.

I have tested them in small GA piston prop environment and they work quite fine well enough and I was wondering why they didn't make it for aviation - and now they have.  My 16 year uses them sometimes when he travels with me watching movies etc.

• Like 2

One aspect I really like with an in-ear headset is that I don't have the creases in my hair (top of head and ear cups) like you do with an over ear headset. Looks like you still get that with this new Bose unit. I also really like not having the weight of a bulky over ear headset. This looks like they made the bulkiest in ear headset possible. They even managed to incorporate the head clamping function.

I'm sure it's nice and works incredibly well, but for the form factor I think I'd prefer the A20.

One aspect I really like with an in-ear headset is that I don't have the creases in my hair (top of head and ear cups) like you do with an over ear headset. Looks like you still get that with this new Bose unit. I also really like not having the weight of a bulky over ear headset.

The human head weighs about 11lbs, the A20 weighs 3/4lb , so about an extra 7%. I’ve never noticed the extra weight after 9hrs of almost continuous use, but I don’t have long hair, which means I don’t have your other problem either.
Maybe you need a haircut?

5 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Me too - the Bose QC20 - at the non aviation cost of $250 - or I get em' used (as new) on eBay for $175 I think.

LOVE em!  I use them whenever I travel commercial, any flight long enough that they show you movies and I do arrive just that much more refreshed from sitting in a calm quiet environment.

I have tested them in small GA piston prop environment and they work quite fine well enough and I was wondering why they didn't make it for aviation - and now they have.  My 16 year uses them sometimes when he travels with me watching movies etc.

I rode on United 139 times last year and 35 times so far this year. But never without my Bose QC20's. I even carry a spare set. But they don't work at all in the Mooney.

I like Bose but these wouldn't come close to displacing my QT Halo's with the custom ear molds. The Halo's are also the best option when wearing a mask up in the flight levels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Maybe you need a haircut? emoji38.png

This seems to be true about once a month.

My larger than average head makes your percentage-based weight comparison even smaller. I've never felt fatigued by the weight of an over the ear headset, but I still prefer the couple of ounces over my nearly one pound Lightspeed Sierra's. I think my favorite analogy is to wearing pants. I can be perfectly comfortable sitting on my living room couch in pants, but I'll never be as comfortable as when I'm sitting on my couch without pants. 

It's a personal preference. We're lucky to have so many really good options. I'm glad to have learned to fly after it became commonplace for all pilots to wear high quality headsets.

For non-aviation I have used the corded QC-20 and also the bluetooth QC-30's.  I work in an active and noisy environment and love the QC-30's!

For aviation I have a Halo that works well for my wife, but is not for me.  Also a Zulu, Bose X & QC-15 with uflymike.

I found that when using the oxygen mask, with mic, the full size headsets added to the system is just way too much going on.  So I got an adapter and use my QC-20 earbuds combined with the mask w/mic.  The drawback is no headset volume control, so only works well when flying solo, since the QC-20 volume is much higher than the aviation headsets.   I always thought that it would be pretty cool if uflymike would make a mic that worked with the QC-20 earbuds rather than the QC-15 or QC-25 headsets.

This thread is the first that I am hearing about the new Bose earbud headset.  If I was due for another headset, I would be pretty comfortable buying the new Bose without trying them.

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

I rode on United 139 times last year and 35 times so far this year. But never without my Bose QC20's. I even carry a spare set. But they don't work at all in the Mooney.

I like Bose but these wouldn't come close to displacing my QT Halo's with the custom ear molds. The Halo's are also the best option when wearing a mask up in the flight levels.

Paul, 

You can use the QC-20's with the mask.  Just have to use an adapter like this. See my previous post, problem is no volume and the QC-20 is a lot louder than aviation headsets.  But works well for solo flights with mask!

4716033_sa.jpg.0afc754aa007181da74e34e0c0d29160.jpg

8 hours ago, Bob said:

The drawback is no headset volume control, so only works well when flying solo, since the QC-20 volume is much higher than the aviation headsets. 

An inline volume control is pretty common. I have one of these integrated into my custom in-ear headset. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P5HL3S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.97a7b9654574de59fa51015dd7b25696.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, teejayevans said:

I hope they don’t stop selling the A20s, I personally don’t like the ear buds.

I also watched the AvWeb video.  The Bose rep stated the A20 is their most popular aviation headset and expect it to remain that way, implying continuity with no change to sales.

A20's are safe.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

WOW - what do you do for a living?  That is a lot of flying.

I feel the QC20s are decent for Mooney.  The QT (I used to have) were better.  My Bose A20 are better still.  I will keep the A20.

But the QC20 hardware could well be better for Mooneys by software changes tuned for piston single purpose - could well be a big improvement.

7 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

WOW - what do you do for a living?  That is a lot of flying.

I feel the QC20s are decent for Mooney.  The QT (I used to have) were better.  My Bose A20 are better still.  I will keep the A20.

But the QC20 hardware could well be better for Mooneys by software changes tuned for piston single purpose - could well be a big improvement.

Global VP with an IT Security vendor. I travel about three weeks a month switching cities every two or three days around the world. It pays the bills, supports my Mooney habit. And the frequent flyer miles support my wife's travel habit. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 10:21 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I've only used Telex options with larger AC flown.  They're comfortable, but a bit clunky at times and the tech is outdated versus later offerings from others.  I have Bose A20s in the Ovation, which I love, but could do with a lighter model for my longer trips and to replace my Telex.  Not willing (yet) to drop $1k on the new Bose option, and went out to QT's website to look at the Halo, but they're out of stock with no ETA.

Anyone have experience with the Clarity Aloft products?  Pricing differences aside, can anyone speak to how they compare to the Halo in terms of longevity, quality, serviceability,. and overall sound quality and noise cancelling/microphone quality?

Just now, StevenL757 said:

Not willing (yet) to drop $1k on the new Bose option, and went out to QT's website to look at the Halo, but they're out of stock with no ETA.

Anyone have experience with the Clarity Aloft products?  Pricing differences aside, can anyone speak to how they compare to the Halo in terms of longevity, quality, serviceability,. and overall sound quality and noise cancelling/microphone quality?

The best way to get a set of QT's is to stop by his booth at Oshkosh. I'll be happy to pick you up a set if you're not attending Osh this year. 

The difference between the QT's and the CA's is the QT has the speaker in the headband and just simple tubing to the ear pieces. The CA's have wires to the ear buds which contain the speakers. I've never had the CA's but the QT's are just dead simple, easy to fix, (no tiny wires to break or pull loose) and easy to modify to your comfort. I've added custom ear molds from the local audiologist $80 for unparalleled comfort and noise elimination. (People report trying to climb out of the Mooney still wearing the QT's as they forgot they were on.) The mic quality is excellent as well. I've been on my iPhone > bluetooth > PMA450a >QT's on climb out under full power and the person on the other end of the phone thought I was sitting in my office.

At $300, it's a great deal. I've got about 600 hours on my set. 

• Like 1