Atlanta to Tucson: Route Guidance?

Getting an early start on planning a flight out to Tucson in August. Yes, I know...August. Not the best time of year in the Southwest but that’s what the timing dictates. Was looking over some routes and realized there’s a boatload of military airspace in NM and AZ. Anybody have preferred routes they would suggest to circumnavigate all those?

I can't help you much with the route, but if memory serves, Tucson is surprisingly low altitude, surrounded by high hills, and is quite warm in August. Sure, it's a dry heat, but walking to the car in the afternoon is like a stroll through your oven. On the other hand, there's a nice airplane museum out at the airport.

Watch the temps and the DA, is what I'm trying to say.

Oh, and August is the rainy season there. Great big, mostly isolated T-storms that you can watch move along from quite a distance. That's when the rocky ditches with signs on the bridges saying "XXXXX RIVER" actually have water in them, but I can't swear how long the waterflow lasts.

Have a great trip!  

1 hour ago, Jeff_S said:

Getting an early start on planning a flight out to Tucson in August. Yes, I know...August. Not the best time of year in the Southwest but that’s what the timing dictates. Was looking over some routes and realized there’s a boatload of military airspace in NM and AZ. Anybody have preferred routes they would suggest to circumnavigate all those?

Roughly, Atlanta to Dallas to El Paso to Tucson will probably be your best bet.

Once you get past Dallas, plan to be on the ground and done flying by 10AM. It gets way too hot and bumpy after that. 5:30AM is a really nice departure time so you can still get in a decent amount of flying in a day.

Which airport in Tucson ? (I'm based at KAVQ).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like KLRDMD says...El Paso to Tucson, no worries.  VFR or IFR doesn't matter.  That's pretty much the only way to go.  And yes, be on the ground by 10AM.  The bumps from heating off the desert floor can be quite jarring...and they're guaranteed to happen.

You’ll need to clear the corner (ELP) early. All of the weather rolls down NM into the Elpaso area. On the east coast you could just drive around the weather but it pushes you south and into the boarder of Mexico. I have needed to park it in elpaso several times then an early start in the morning. Just stay close to I-20 And I-10 our west. Should be an amazing trip. You’ll be VFR most of the time, and wouldn’t do the western leg IFR due to weather buildups and terrain. Just do a little homework on the restricted areas, Whitesands and a few others are always hot.  

Have fun!!

-Matt

1 hour ago, KLRDMD said:

Roughly, Atlanta to Dallas to El Paso to Tucson will probably be your best bet.

Once you get past Dallas, plan to be on the ground and done flying by 10AM. It gets way too hot and bumpy after that. 5:30AM is a really nice departure time so you can still get in a decent amount of flying in a day.

Which airport in Tucson ? (I'm based at KAVQ).

I agree completely, but I have made a number of flights in the late afternoon so that I could spend more time with my family there and would just sweat it out in the hot air. (My homemade AC helps). It does require paying close attention to the forecasts so that you stay clear of any thunderstorms and being prepared to leave earlier than planned, land earlier than planned, or not leaving at all... I should also note that I have never made any of those flights with my wife. My son doesn't mind it being hot or the bumps, but she sure would!

If you want to know what it's like to take off from AZ in the later afternoon when it's 110° outside I wrote about one of those flights last year. Scroll down to the departure on Sunday August 27th.

It's Hot in Phoenix

• Like 1

Fly early or fly high! The mornings are really amazing that time of year.  Flight following will get you through all the MOA’s. I fly in the deserts all summer long and in the peak of the heat. I find 10K AGL is necessary to get above most thermal activity and into cool air that time of year. Are you planning on doing it all in 1 day or 2?

• Like 1

Thanks all...sounds like El Paso is my gateway. My sister lives near Marana so KAVQ will be my airport. I was living in Phoenix during the summer of 1990 when it hit the record 122 dF so I know about heat and monsoon season, but that was long before I started flying. I appreciate the tips on turb and density altitude. It will be fun to see how the plane performs.

Cheers!

5 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

Thanks all...sounds like El Paso is my gateway. My sister lives near Marana so KAVQ will be my airport. I was living in Phoenix during the summer of 1990 when it hit the record 122 dF so I know about heat and monsoon season, but that was long before I started flying. I appreciate the tips on turb and density altitude. It will be fun to see how the plane performs.

Cheers!

I would recommend stopping in (KDNA) Santa Teresa, NM instead of El Paso. It's just over the ridge on the west side of El Paso. You'll be talking to El Paso Approach all the way in. It's a very nice airport with a long runway. But most importantly you've already crossed the high ridge protecting the west side of El Paso and you don't have to climb and cross it on departure.

• Haha 1

Hey Jeff!

My son and I did Atl-Las a few years ago in 79H.  We both loved the flight.  We spent about a week and a half flying and site seeing.  I don't have my logbook handy but we stopped at Gaston's, somewhere in Tx (lol), Albuquerque, Flagstaff, Page/Lake Powell, Vegas.  I always meant to do a write up for it but never got around to it.  We departed each day around 6:30-never after 7.  The flights even in July were amazing.  Rain showers were very easy to skirt.  I'd say we flew IFR for less than 1/2 of the flight.  I'm guessing you will take a more southerly route through Texas than we did.  I look forward to hearing your experiences!

10 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I would recommend stopping in (KDNA) Santa Teresa, NM instead of El Paso. It's just over the ridge on the west side of El Paso. You'll be talking to El Paso Approach all the way in. It's a very nice airport with a long runway. But most importantly you've already crossed the high ridge protecting the west side of El Paso and you don't have to climb and cross it on departure.

Agreed. And Las Cruces is not a bad stop either.

5 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Agreed. And Las Cruces is not a bad stop either.

The only time I've been "ramp checked" was at Las Cruces. It was just Boarder Patrol. I didn't complain and pulled my luggage out for them to look at. They also looked at my documents but didn't get in the plane.

That's no reason to pass up Las Cruces. It's a fine little airport.

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

FWIW,

of the 30 or so times I've flown through there. Once on a lark I called center and asked if White Sands was hot. They said it was not and I could fly through anywhere I liked. There is some bizarre stuff down there.

I'll have to start asking for that. Thanks!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bravoman said:

I would say I 285 to camp creek to KATL!

Ha...that’s a good one! And sometimes in fact that’s what I do, especially if the Downtown Connector is clogged. (A little Atlanta insider talk for y’all.)

• Like 1