Garmin finally offering a “free” option for flightstream

Looks like Garmin is taking a page from Avidyne’s playbook and is now offering an option to use the flight stream that doesn’t cost money.  It looks like garmin has partnered with Fltplan.com to allow for fltplan go to interface with garmin units through a flight stream.  I’m pretty sure fltplan go is free to use.. if this is the case, then garmin users now have an option that doesn’t cost 150+ a year to transfer flight plans with.  

12 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

but we'll still need Garmin Pilot to get DB updates to the GTNs through the FS510, right?

I think so- I have an avidyne IFD, so I don’t really know.  Just glad to see garmin doing something like this.  Maybe they are finally taking a swing at us CB’s?

I think so- I have an avidyne IFD, so I don’t really know.  Just glad to see garmin doing something like this.  Maybe they are finally taking a swing at us CB’s?

Nah, they are just keeping up with the Joneses.

f86ccc8dba3446defbdb51599a7ef406.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

This is about 2.5 years too late.  One of the deciding factors why I 86’d my 430s with FS 210 and switched to Avidynes was because Garmin only allowed FlightStream to work with Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight and I’m a Wing X and FlightPlan Go user.  However, I’m very happy I made the switch to Avidyne and don’t miss my Garmins at all.

• Like 4

On 4/9/2018 at 4:07 PM, M016576 said:

Looks like Garmin is taking a page from Avidyne’s playbook and is now offering an option to use the flight stream that doesn’t cost money.  It looks like garmin has partnered with Fltplan.com to allow for fltplan go to interface with garmin units through a flight stream.  I’m pretty sure fltplan go is free to use.. if this is the case, then garmin users now have an option that doesn’t cost 150+ a year to transfer flight plans with.  

I looked all over Garmin's web site and as far as I can tell Fltplan.com or Garmin Pilot still require the FS510 to connect to a GTN unit?  Where did you see they can do it without the flight stream connection hardware FS110/210/510?

6 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

I think his point was that you don't have to pay for Garmin Pilot app to share flight plan data now. You still need a flight stream box installed.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I see that now