Looking for salvage/used interior plastics M20K

My plane is currently getting a paint job and interior redo. I'm looking for the following bits for a 1979 M20K (231, factory oxygen if it matters), which, upon removal, disintegrated into many irrecoverable/unusable bits even with the greatest of care (they were already cracked/warped/worn/repaired and just turned to dust). I reached out to Paul Loewen without any luck. Does anyone have a source they could recommend?

The 2 side panels on the pilot side 
1 side panel on the copilot side,
cargo door panel
2 panels on the door

I'm aware of Plane Plastics, but their prices are a fortune - and since I was able to save most of the bits and will likely be wrapping or painting them, it seems silly to get new pieces that are going to be covered/painted anyway. It also seems like they only go up to the "J" model, but I assume they are very similar to the K if I had to go that route.

Edited by anonymouse

I replaced all my interior parts with Plane Plastics because all my interior pieces were brittle and cracked everywhere. I didn’t want to patch everything and then cover it with fabric or ultra leather because I don’t like the look or the additional weight penalty.

It was a little costly but 1/3 the price of the same parts from Mooney. The J model parts Plane Plastics list fit my K model just fine. The only exception was modifying the pilots panel for oxygen gauge and actuator lever. Fitting that panel was a little time consuming but it came out just fine. 

If you are going to repaint the panels I recommend SEM Products. They offer a wide range of colors and the paint goes on easily and drys in less than 30 minuets. Just make sure surface is thoroughly cleaned before applying the paint. 

I just replaced my door panel with Plane Plastics parts. The only issue I had is the PP parts are a thicker plastic than the original so fitting took some effort to conform around the door. They are much more robust than the factory pieces.

SEM paint for the win also. Fantastic product.

I ended up plastic solvent welding with MEK for many of the pieces, including the glareshield. I had great results with this super inexpensive method. Just need some sacrificial plastic to dissolve in the MEK.

There is a guy on ebay with a complete set of interior plastics from a J also.

iain

I struck out with Jaeger. Still on the hunt. I must by using the wrong search words on Ebay - all I can find is a top door panel, but the shipping alone is $200..

20 hours ago, milotron said:

There is a guy on ebay with a complete set of interior plastics from a J also.

iain

Can you point me to the right auction?

Another idea is to call Hector at Aero Comfort. He had a stock of used panels that he repairs and uses on their interior refurbs. Maybe he would be willing to part with what you need?

Remember, most likely any used panel is probably in need of repair. You have to weigh the benefits to yourself of buying and repairing a used panel Vs just buying a replacement. You have to do some fitting and painting in either case. 

I agree.  30% of Factory price and the product is more substantial. I'll do a little extra trimming to save that kind of money.  Mooney quoted me over $10K for the plastic AND they didn't have everything, nor were they going to get it.  Mooney did offer me a complete interior installed at the factory for $17K though.  My total from Plane Plastics was about $3300 including some additional small parts and shipping.  I took my time and the whole project was completed in about 5 days.  I'm really happy the way it came out!

I can't recommend Plane Plastics enough.  They are good people to work with!  When I redid my interior I had 1 panel that didn't fit quite right.  I called them up and they told me that they didn't have any more in stock and wouldn't be able to make any for about 6 weeks.  They told me to use the panel I had and do the best that I could with it and they would send me a replacement as soon as they could.  Got the new one in about 4-5 weeks and it fit much better. When I called them to say thanks and ask about the old panel they said "just throw it away". 

Also, if you have a panel that is not in their catalog you can send them your original and they will duplicate it for you.

7 hours ago, CaptRJM said:

Another idea is to call Hector at Aero Comfort. He had a stock of used panels that he repairs and uses on their interior refurbs. Maybe he would be willing to part with what you need?

Remember, most likely any used panel is probably in need of repair. You have to weigh the benefits to yourself of buying and repairing a used panel Vs just buying a replacement. You have to do some fitting and painting in either case. 

Thanks for the referral.

Completely understood - I should say I'm not doing the interior work myself - I have a well-regarded airplane interior person doing the work. We're likely going to be painting/patching/covering all the other panels already, so if I can get the few that I need at a 'vintage' price/condition that are serviceable, it could be less expensive than plane plastics and I'll end up with the same result. If I'm covering/painting pieces anyway, I really don't care if the plastic is new or old.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2018 at 1:59 PM, anonymouse said:

My plane is currently getting a paint job and interior redo. I'm looking for the following bits for a 1979 M20K (231, factory oxygen if it matters), which, upon removal, disintegrated into many irrecoverable/unusable bits even with the greatest of care (they were already cracked/warped/worn/repaired and just turned to dust). I reached out to Paul Loewen without any luck. Does anyone have a source they could recommend?

cargo door panel
2 panels on the door

I'm aware of Plane Plastics, but their prices are a fortune - and since I was able to save most of the bits and will likely be wrapping or painting them, it seems silly to get new pieces that are going to be covered/painted anyway. It also seems like they only go up to the "J" model, but I assume they are very similar to the K if I had to go that route.

Thanks to some PM chats, I've located the cargo door panel and the 2 panels on the door. I'm still looking for the rest on the list:

2 side panels (front/rear) on pilot side

1 side panel (rear) on copilot side

Thanks!

1 hour ago, anonymouse said:

Thanks to some PM chats, I've located the cargo door panel and the 2 panels on the door. I'm still looking for the rest on the list:

2 side panels (front/rear) on pilot side

1 side panel (rear) on copilot side

Thanks!

I still have the side panels from my F. Not sure if the length of the side panels increased in length with the K. I am headed out to the airport later today and will post pictures and dimensions of them.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2018 at 4:59 PM, anonymouse said:

cargo door panel
2 panels on the door

Here is what I have.

84F288B6-428A-4EE9-B451-36966A77B1BE.thumb.jpeg.edb6d9294131415c18284d1ea45c468a.jpeg

FF2C1CC5-BFED-4D99-B173-73FAC5003365.thumb.jpeg.032a686851c8f31ce0cbec41d2683b3d.jpeg

BFF65608-054B-4789-8E4E-54F9692E4441.thumb.jpeg.366f73373b4e318421b693bb28ba343a.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, anonymouse said:

Thanks @Marauder. Those pieces don't appear to match what is in the M20J/K. My panels appear to have the window frame integrated into those panels, making one large piece of plastic.

Good luck on finding the pieces. You might be forced to go to Plane Plastics for what you need. You may want to check with Alan Fox to see if he has any leads.