New Aircraft Circular on Traffic Patterns

I've been doing midfield entries for years when there's little or no traffic.  When it gets thick I fly around and go for the 45 to downwind.  Midfield entry just doesn't give you a lot of time to spot traffic, which where I am can include NORDO aircraft that aren't going to show up on the radio.

On ‎2018‎/‎04‎/‎09 at 7:00 PM, gsxrpilot said:

"Mooney 252AD is 4 miles to the West, we'll be crossing mid-field for the left downwind for 17"

"The Mooney is crossing mid-field for the left downwind for 17"

I obtained my private around 18 years ago. This was all I was EVER taught/instructed.  I've never seen the 270 turn to reenter the pattern.  Not in writing, not in Bi-Annuals.. etc.  Ya learn something every day on this post.

• Like 2

I've found that if you consistently break all the rules and conventions and are rude to everyone in the area, after awhile when you call in, "Here I come!" the pattern will empty out and you'll have the place to yourself.

:D

Where I am, we have cropdusters working out of the untowered fields all summer long.  They are fast, never have a radio, and generally don’t bother with a pattern.  They come in skimming the ground and by the most direct course.  Gotta give yourself all the chances to see them that you can.

Edited by jlunseth

If it is busy, then mid 45 to the Upwind.  then fly the pattern.  It gives people a chance to work things out.   Or cross the numbers to downwind or wherever needed to work things out.   The teardrop thing exposes you nose to nose on lots of different areas to lots of different people's version of a mid 45 entry.