M20K to M20J conversion

dlthig

Likely better off simply trading planes... You'll need some regulatory approval, and you'll need to source a J cowl, engine mount, engine, prop, engine controls, etc. It would need to be awfully special plane to you to make it worthwhile in my opinion.

Perhaps you can more easily swap in a CMI IO-360-ES engine if they still make one. 210 hp normally aspirated engine if you just want to delete the turbo.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

Perhaps you can more easily swap in a CMI IO-360-ES engine if they still make one. 210 hp normally aspirated engine if you just want to delete the turbo.

ModWorks put a TCM IO-360-ES in the plane I own in 1998.  Not aware of anyone that's doing it today though, and I'm not really sure what the reason was they didn't just go for the turbo.

1 hour ago, dlthig said:

Is it possible to convert a K to a J? I'm thinking firewall forward, lop the nose off and put on a J. I know that it can be done with enough time, money and a good mechanic. Has anyone actually done it?

Why?  To save $25k on an engine overhaul?  Seems like $50k worth of work to save $25k.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dlthig said:

Is it possible to convert a K to a J? I'm thinking firewall forward, lop the nose off and put on a J. I know that it can be done with enough time, money and a good mechanic. Has anyone actually done it?

Yeah, easy. Fly that K down to Kestrel Airpark on the north side of San Antonio, Texas. Ask for either Jimmy or David. Hand them the keys to your K and fly home in a J. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Sure if you want to spend the money for the STC (new certification by the FAA).  The cowling will be different.  The balance of the aircraft will be different, remember the K engine weighs one thing and the normally aspirated weighs another, the K is designed to balance with the six cylinder Conti and its accessories in place, not the 4 cylinder Lyc.  New exhaust, not just the engine.  Maybe you could keep the brake master and piping and the vacuum pump, but new everything else frankly, firewall forward.  And why would you want to?

• Like 3

I was thinking about the J vs K thread and the Ks are generally better equipped, but that equipment is getting older and less relevant. If someone doesn't want to fool around with the turbo and all of the systems along with the overhaul, I was wondering about another option. I wasn't aware of the IO-360 ES option, $$.  

Yeah converting a K to a J is a fools errand. I believe the comment that K's are better equipped than J's came from the fact that there were J's being produced before the K's started. But if you take a similar model year, the equipment will be the same.

For example, if you start with a 1987 M20J, I think you'll find it's equipped the same as a 1987 M20K. 

5 hours ago, dlthig said:

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing. 

Let’s talk Missile then...  :)

Rocket engineering is still in business.  They may have stopped offering the STC.  Try a phone call if you are dedicated to the idea...  Long putt...

The potential challenge with the IO360ES STC... it probably belongs to MooneyMart.  Who may not be in business anymore...  Really tough putt...

Great phone/web research project to find out the actual STC status of both...

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Let’s talk Missile then...  :)

Rocket engineering is still in business.  They may have stopped offering the STC.  Try a phone call if you are dedicated to the idea...  Long putt...

The potential challenge with the IO360ES STC... it probably belongs to MooneyMart.  Who may not be in business anymore...  Really tough putt...

Great phone/web research project to find out the actual STC status of both...

Best regards,

-a-

I'm just carrying a 1 iron. No other clubs. If we're going that far, strap an Allison to the front!

• Haha 1

I was watching some of the raptor aircraft videos and thought...

Wouldn't it be fun to make a clone of a mooney.  I couldn't imagine there are still any Mooney patents within the prescribed lifespan.  Carbon fiber construction with titanium fitments.  Increase the fuel capacity to be able to strap on a turbine.  Titanium landing gear with oleo struts.  Pressurization and deice to top things off.  Perfectly smooth wing.  Drool....

Useful load would probably be 150 lbs. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, bradp said:

I was watching some of the raptor aircraft videos and thought...

Wouldn't it be fun to make a clone of a mooney.  I couldn't imagine there are still any Mooney patents within the prescribed lifespan.  Carbon fiber construction with titanium fitments.  Increase the fuel capacity to be able to strap on a turbine.  Titanium landing gear with oleo struts.  Pressurization and deice to top things off.  Perfectly smooth wing.  Drool....

Useful load would probably be 150 lbs. 

Good idea.  And rename it just for fun.  TBM probably would work, would not infringe the Mooney trademark.  Oh wait....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1