Long Mooney trip to South America

terbang

We flew our 252 from Germany to the southern most tip of South America and back again between September 17 and March 18. This was our route:

actual_route.thumb.jpg.76c9f41b0738397449cf7112b1b04787.jpg

Many may have heard about our trip via fb, but anyway, maybe there are members here who haven't and are interested in a report. I've written continuously on a European GA forum, here is the link:

https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/9174-to-the-end-of-the-world-and-back-the-whole-story#post_176978

(I hope it's OK to post a link to another forum here)

Edited by terbang
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on making your dream trip! I greatly enjoyed my own (too short) visit to Ushuaia by ship, and hope to return one day for a longer visit.

Now I'm off to read the details . . . 

Edited by Hank

2 hours ago, terbang said:

We flew our 252 from Germany to the southern most tip of South America and back again between September 17 and March 18. This was our route:

actual_route.thumb.jpg.76c9f41b0738397449cf7112b1b04787.jpg

Many may have heard about our trip via fb, but anyway, maybe there are members here who haven't and are interested in a report. I've written continuously on a European GA forum, here is the link:

https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/9174-to-the-end-of-the-world-and-back-the-whole-story#post_176978

(I hope it's OK to post a link to another forum here)

Wow. Respect. 

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Piloto said:

Woow, amazing trip. Post any pictures you may have.

José

There are tons of pictures in the reports, just click the link. Besides the fb page (here) we made a few videos, e.g. this.

BTW, this trip would not have been possible without the Monroy tanks ;-) THX

Edited by terbang

Impressive video. I noticed that you went directly from CYYT to LPHR. I thought that LPAZ was the only airport of entry to the Azores. I guess LPHR has Customs now. 

What type of HF radio and antenna did you used for the trip?

José

He mentioned he had a satellite phone IIRC, does having it mean you no longer need the HF radio? My understanding is you are just using HF for position reporting and can’t you use the phone?

I’ve been enjoying reading about you Adventure. You and Mrs Terbang are really amazing! 

I wonder if you could tell us what power settings & fuel burn you use, especially for the long overwater legs. Thanks. 

Thank you all!

17 hours ago, jackn said:

I wonder if you could tell us what power settings & fuel burn you use, especially for the long overwater legs. Thanks.

Unfortunately our engine won't run LOP. We have GAMIjectors but even though we've been with GAMI in Ada and I flew with one of their engineers, we couldn't get it fixed. Therefore we have to fly ROP. At 2200RPM I throttle back to 65% and lean to stay below 380F with the hottest cylinder (usually #5). Up in the low flight levels (180, 190) she makes about 165kt TAS or a little more. Depending on OAT, FF is about 9.5 GPH for the colder regions. We had to set a considerably greater FF when we flew that high and it was very hot e.g. in Bolivia.

• Thanks 1

Absolutely fantastic trip that you made. WOW!

Have you ever heard of or know the folks from the "Honey Mooney"  You can google their dated website up. They have been around the world 5 times N-S and West-East in their E model. IIRC they are based in Switzerland. They came through here (KPGA) a few years ago after crossing east to west from Africa to Brazil.

You guys amaze me with your world travels in a Mooney. I've only done it in a 727. Wish I was younger and more adventurous.