Does this gear door look normal?

Only sort of...

they don’t both normally go straight up and down...

There are a few threads around that cover this.

Good luck finding the explanation from the thousands of similar posts...

Got any pics while up on jacks?  Flush while closed is what they are set for...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

They dont have to rest like that when open. Moving the spacers on the gear door side of the opening pushrod can help,. also, changing the eccentric clocking on the retract truss where the pushrods go is another.  But you must re-rig the nose gear preload and check all 3 gear if you touch the eccentrics.

My right door doesn't open to a full 90°, and the left opens just past 90°. Like others have said, put it on jacks and retract the gear and see what you have. I wouldn't be surprised if the left door has an inch or so gap when closed

• Like 1

Does not look right for your vintage.  While they are typically not symmetrical and no two seem to look alike, yours seems quite off.  As RL suggested, yours may not be closing all the way.  Suggest a gear swing.

• Like 2

Appears you have overlapping doors. Nice mod. I would take a look during a gear swing to make sure everything looks good. Due to the overlapping function, the adjustment might be slightly changed from the stock gear door setting. Hope Victor gave you some pennies for your sticker! Lol.

-Matt

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Nice video. I"m always nervous at annual when I have to get under the plane while the gear is retracted. Probably from so many years working on cars where you would never, ever get under a car that was supported by a jack.

-Robert

I guess this wouldn't be you 

2 hours ago, Wildhorsesracing said:

I could have my gear up & down 5 times in the time that took... #JBarRules

The first down was using the go round and round J bar.  It takes about 70 cranks around to do the emergency extension.

On 4/11/2018 at 11:46 AM, RobertGary1 said:

Nice video. I"m always nervous at annual when I have to get under the plane while the gear is retracted. Probably from so many years working on cars where you would never, ever get under a car that was supported by a jack.

-Robert

Those would be safe lifting practices and I follow the rules.  I don't get in line with where it could fall.  I won't even go under the hanger door or let others when raising or lowering.   For extended stays not on the mains, I have a set of saw horses with moving pads that go under the wings.

16 hours ago, Wildhorsesracing said:

I could have my gear up & down 5 times in the time that took... #JBarRules

That's in slo-mo or its a manual extension. The Mooney electric gear is somewhat famous for being the fastest electric retraction system for certified planes. At the time Mooney said they wanted it to be fast because pilots were used to the speed of the J bar. 

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...