1. 1. What product did you use for you new door seal

• LASAR/Factory replacment
    • AircraftDoorSeals
    • MD Weatherstrip
    • Other (please elaborate in comments)
  2. 2. Who performed work

• Me with signoff
    • A+P/IA

I have begun the search for a new door seal.  Read about as much as I could find including recommendations from Mooneyspace, CSOBeech, AircraftDoorSeals and a LASAR.  Since we have not had a Poll on Mooneyspace in a while I decided to make one.  Please vote and respond

I was just getting ready to make a new topic myself titled, "My $8 Door Seal".  It works great, certainly more quiet than the old factory one I pulled out.  With two packages, you have enough to do the baggage door, too.

I really wanted to get the Bob Fields inflatable for about $450, and I still may do that.  The Aircraft Door Seal is pricy and gets some average to poor reviews here.  The GeeBee price was never specified, which annoyed me, but my guess is between $250-300 based upon the Bonanza ones out there by them.

For my $16, I'll replace it every few years if necessary or replace it with something else and never look back.

@Piloto advocated for something very similar, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.  I used his original idea and found this stuff, which may be even better.

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1475.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG

• Like 3

I don’t see the option for the poll but I have new seals from Lasar. The day of my annual I found out my cabin door was leaking. I’m waiting for some time and good weather to install the cabin and baggage seal. What do you guys recommend I use to stick them on with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

I don’t see the option for the poll but I have new seals from Lasar. The day of my annual I found out my cabin door was leaking. I’m waiting for some time and good weather to install the cabin and baggage seal. What do you guys recommend I use to stick them on with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/weatherstripadh.php?clickkey=868807

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy95W said:

3M yellow super weatherstrip adhesive.  Available at most auto parts stores and probably Walmart.

IMG_1218.JPG

Make sure you apply and use the product per the instructions.  Not sure if the current product is the same but the older stuff had instructions contrary to normal adhesives.  Found out the hard way it works best using the recommended instructions.   

Tom

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marauder said:

I'm with Andy my Cheap Bast%$d friend. I had the Field's inflatable door seal and when it had more holes in it than the Titanic, I replaced it with the MD product. So far, working good.

0c1a4e43f60b997728c1e6da690e1752.jpg

Nice wooden armrest!! Classy!

-Matt

• Like 1

Aircraftdoorseals will tear if you walk by the plane to fast. No matter how careful you are it won't last long with out tearing, I have had better luck with the baggage door staying together, but I might go back to factory next year

The poor performance of Aircraft Door Seal is well deserved.  I've gone thru 3 of them in 8 years.  The first one fell apart in less than 24 months.  They replaced it for free.  The second one lasted about 3 years and it too started just disintegrating.  They replaced that one at 50% of Retail.  The current one is cracking and leaking.  It won't make it thru the summer.  I'm NOT installing another one from Aircraft Door Seals even if I got it for free!

I found out the Brown Aircraft Supply provides the factory seal to Mooney.  If you want to order it directly from them it is Part Number BA-706-M. $92.64 for 12 feet.  This is probably what I'm going to use.

I've been in contact with Gee-Bee (CSO-Beech) and I never got the feeling that he's actually going to purchase a mold for a Mooney Seal.  I think his silicone product will be superior to others but, who knows if he's ever going to make it.  The only thing I could suggest is to PM him and express interest.  If he hears from enough of us, maybe that will get him moving.  If it became available, I'd give it a try.

I used MEK on a wire brush.  It helps if you use an old, cheap paint brush to brush it on first, let it sit a while, then use the wire brush to scrape it.  That will get 80% of it off.  After that, I used lacquer thinner on a red scotch brite pad to get the rest off.

A few important points: 

-MEK is carcinogenic and might make you grow a 3rd testicle or something.  Don't get it on your skin and definitely use eye protection, especially when using the wire brush.

-put something down on the wing and windshield to protect it from the chemicals

-you should probably remove your interior door panels so the MEK and lacquer thinner don't damage them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 12:16 PM, Marauder said:

I'm with Andy my Cheap Bast%$d friend. I had the Field's inflatable door seal and when it had more holes in it than the Titanic, I replaced it with the MD product. So far, working good.

That door is so clean and beautiful it brought me to tears (see mine above).

• Like 1

That door is so clean and beautiful it brought me to tears (see mine above).

Mine looked just like yours when I started. Here is the stuff I used:

3M 03618 Adhesive Remover - 12 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQYA7W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Iep2AbW44WGMM

If you have any silicone that might be there:

3M Caulk Remover 8 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H5VNG8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_bdp2AbZF0WWYV

A low impact to the surface for the tough stuff:

3M Stripe Off Wheel 07498, 4" Diameter x 5/8" Width, 3/8" Mandrel, Beige (Pack of 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063VT0G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Cbp2Ab6DE434H

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, steingar said:

I've been tempted to do mine only because the door doesn't close easily.  But I really don't want to because my aircraft doesn't leak in the rain and I'd like it to stay that way.

Whatever the seal, a light coating of silicone - I use the stuff available at pool supply stores - will make em last longer, close easier, and more importantly seal better.

3 minutes ago, Mike Ropers said:

Whatever the seal, a light coating of silicone - I use the stuff available at pool supply stores - will make em last longer, close easier, and more importantly seal better.

I don't think that will help with mine.  I already sealed a big tear with weatherstrip adhesive, I've put back together as much as I can.  A little silicone certainly wouldn't hurt anything though.  I suspect I'll keep living with it until I can't.