GNS-430W with Narco HSI-100

Hello,

I recently installed a GNS-430W in my M-20G and I would like to connect it to the existing HSI, if at all possible.

The HSI is a very old Narco HSI-100 but which still works fine, so before I fork out Eur. 2500 for a Garmin G5, I'd like to try and get this setup to work.

I contacted Garmin UK to ask whether the GNS-430W could drive the HSI-100, but they couldn't say.

Has anyone tried something similar with an HSI-100?

I bought the Avionics Installation Handbook by Robert Horan (*great* book BTW) which has pinouts for the HSI-100 but doesn't explain how to connect up the rotor and stator connections for the resolver.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Gerald

I have a Narco DGO 10 in my plane, I found that the Narco talks a different language and i would have to make a converter to make it accept inputs from my 430. I did find the plans for the converter but decided it would be easier and more reliable to use GI-106 gauge instead.

Brian 

Unless you can do the installation yourself, I'm not sure paying anything to interface to a Narco is a wise choice. You'll likely get another opportunity soon to pay for another installation when it fails, so why not do it once, and enjoy the newer stuff?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, orionflt said:

I have a Narco DGO 10 in my plane, I found that the Narco talks a different language and i would have to make a converter to make it accept inputs from my 430. I did find the plans for the converter but decided it would be easier and more reliable to use GI-106 gauge instead.

Brian 

Hi Brian,

thanks for your answer. Just had to Google DGO 10, so it's a directional gyro. You said you 'found the plans' for the converter... where did you find them? I'd be interested in what that converter does, exactly, and why. I have a hunch that the HSI-100 works completely differently (than the DGO-10); the outputs from the GNS-430W "sort of" correspond to the inputs of the HSI, but only "sort of".

Do you still have those plans floating around somewhere? 

Regards,

Gerald

2 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

Unless you can do the installation yourself, I'm not sure paying anything to interface to a Narco is a wise choice. You'll likely get another opportunity soon to pay for another installation when it fails, so why not do it once, and enjoy the newer stuff?

Hi Scott,

you're quite right about not paying for interfacing to stone-age electronics; it doesn't make sense. That's why I'm having a stab at doing it myself. If I find out that the voltages are incompatible or that one box requires a 50 kHz input and the other expects 100 kHz, then I'm dropping the idea and installing a G5. But it's worth trying. It may just be that they *are* compatible and things Just Work (tm). That would be great and I'd save a packet.

Sounds good...I'm like you in that I'm willing to invest some of my own time and effort into salvaging stuff (and I generally like DIY and learning anyway) to postpone more expense. That is perfectly rational for this CB. ;)

I'd have trouble paying shop rates for the same activity though!

17 hours ago, N6758N said:

Are you referring to a Edo-aire/Century NSD-1000? If so you can definitely hook that up. I just removed one from my airplane that was set up with the 430W.

Hi Terry,

no, I'm referring to the Narco HSI-100 HSI. It's a simple, non-slaved device that, to my knowledge, cannot be used for autopilots (it has no heading bug).

I've just looked up your Century NSD-1000; it looks quite nice. It's a slaved device, isn't it? What are you planning to do with it? Do you plan on selling it?

The thing is, for Eur 2500 I can get a Garmin G5, so I'm a little hesitant to buy something that's older.

Anyway, thanks for the tip! It's useful information in case the HSI-100 dies or I decide to install something else.

Cheers,

Gerald