G1000 software differences?

Hi gang,

Anyone know what the differences might be between 401.30 and 401.34?

401.30 was installed on GFC700 equipped aircraft (Acclaims and Ovations) when WAAS upgrades first came out. My Ovation just got 401.34 when I upgraded. Now I'm curious what the newer upgrade may have added.

Robert

I know one cool thing is the little green arc that shows up on the map when you have programmed a climb or descent. I can't remember what the name of it is, but it will show at what point you are expected to achieve the desired altitude. This is very helpful especially for descents when you need to cross a certain point at a specified altitude, or as in my case when I'm trying to climb quickly out of my home airport in order to get above the neighboring Class D of the Dobbins AFB. If you look in your Map settings you'll recognize it.

Other than that, I don't see too much difference to the average user, but of course it supports WAAS where I believe .30 did not.  And it works great with the GTX-345. I'm sure there are other improvements behind the scenes.

I upgraded  to 401.34 as of about a year ago with my GTX-345 install.  The main reason that I wanted the upgrade was for geo-referenced approach plates.  I was hoping that my iPad would just become a backup at that point (and thus wouldn't need anything yoke-mounted), but I found it's still better to use the iPad for approach plates so that you can use other MFD screens.  Plus 401.34 still can't display ADS-B weather on the MFD.

Search and ye shall find:

One that GFC700 planes already had but that was new with the S55x upgrades: the vertical speed bug..   When in VS mode the selected rate on the  S55x controller vertical speed is bugged on the G1000.   Before it would only display the rate on the Stec55x.

I think -34 added some more approach segment types (radius -> fix).. that are needed for the RNP approaches.   

Support for the 33ES transponder.   So you could be 2020 compliant with WAAS + 33ES upgrade, but most of us just went with the GTX345R

18 hours ago, exM20K said:

My WAAS 2009 Acclaim S had an older software which would not allow data logging. Current version does, and it is well worth an upgrade for that alone.

Can't believe I forgot to mention that one.  I was blown away by the amount of information that is logged.  Also, for anyone using Garmin Pilot for logbooks, you can upload these files directly to fly.garmin.com...which is pretty cool because you can replay the entire flight (including engine data).  See attached.  It also makes it super easy to catch up on your logbooks (if you have a tendency to get behind like I do).

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 2.51.38 PM.png

On 4/6/2018 at 10:08 AM, Jeff_S said:

I know one cool thing is the little green arc that shows up on the map when you have programmed a climb or descent. I can't remember what the name of it is...

“Selected Altitude Range Arc”