Need advice : M20S 310hp STC

I am looking at purchasing a nice M20S with a timed out engine.  Ultimately, I want to get the 310hp STC or at least the 280hp STC if it is much less costly.    I am already planning on replacing the engine but want to know what my options are.  How can I do this most cost effectively??

Could I replace the engine with an IO550N? 300hp?

Thanks for the advice.

You will need the STC which I believe belongs to the Mooney factory now. Check with an MSC.

You can replace the engine with a "N" but that will not get you the 310HP. The prop must be changed to a 3 blade Harzell and the prop governor upped to 2700 rpm. 

1 hour ago, thekubiaks said:

I am looking at purchasing a nice M20S with a timed out engine.  Ultimately, I want to get the 310hp STC or at least the 280hp STC if it is much less costly.    I am already planning on replacing the engine but want to know what my options are.  How can I do this most cost effectively??

Thanks for the advice.

The STC can be acquired from mooney. It requires a hartzell top prop or a MT 4 blade. I don't believe the 280hp stc is available anymore.

Props available are
hartzell Ovation Prop
Hartzell Acclaim Type S prop
Hartzell Composite.
MT 4 blade Composite.

All in all, including the Gov, Prop, and STC, it will cost you about 20 AMU.

which mooney eagle did you find? I've been messing around the market and only found 3 with low or midtime engines.

There is no sense for the 280hp any longer... this was the max upgrade, of the day...

Go 310hp.  You can always run it like a 280hp engine if you like...

The topProp comes in three varieties... thick, thin(Acclaim), and composite...

There used to be two STCs required, one for the engine and one for the prop. 5amus each...  seems like they have been reduced or included in the cost of either the prop or the engine...

I went with the updated IO550 (n) with the thin TopProp blades... the (n) has a cooling fin modification on its cylinders...

PP thoughts only. Not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

54 minutes ago, carusoam said:

I went with the updated IO550 (n) with the thin TopProp blades... the (n) has a cooling fin modification on its cylinders...

PP thoughts only. Not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks for the replies, to do the IO550N, is that an STC also?  I'd really be happy with the IO550N you describe, and be happy with 300hp and a topProp.    Niko, I can't give away my find :)     If the plane I am looking at tomorrow falls thru, the M20S is my backup.  If I buy the plane tomorrow, I'll shoot you the details on the M20S. 

I went factory reman from Continental...

The (n) vs (g) were priced similarly, a few pounds different in weight.

Call both Continental and hartzell for quotes... The proper STC requirements are probably covered there...

See if @StevenL757 has input...  he has an amazing (and much better) memory of the people and process involved.

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, thekubiaks said:

Thanks for the advice.

To go from 280 to 310HP, you need the STC from Mooney ($4995).  This allows you to either convert your existing G-engine to the -AP variant via the prop governor T20 modification, or install an IO550N flavor.  As mentioned, you also need a qualifying prop, as the MacCauley options cannot be used with the 310 upgrade.  I’d suggest the Hartzell F7498 (Acclaim TypeS variant).  Same price as the F7693 DF-2, but 7 pounds lighter and gives about 4 to 7 knots additional speed.  The F7498 STC is also approved for the Ovation and Eagle.

Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss further.  I’m on the “left coast” until Sunday, but happy to chat.

Steve

• Like 2

12 hours ago, thekubiaks said:

Thanks for the replies, to do the IO550N, is that an STC also?  I'd really be happy with the IO550N you describe, and be happy with 300hp and a topProp.    Niko, I can't give away my find :)     If the plane I am looking at tomorrow falls thru, the M20S is my backup.  If I buy the plane tomorrow, I'll shoot you the details on the M20S. 

I have a 900 hr Hartzell 3 blade held with Brian Kendrick at KHYI.  He can do the 3 blade and 310 STC and you can fly it out.  The prop is freshly overhauled and painted and looks like new.  

Russ

• Like 1

1. SA02193CH is the STC for the airframe 310HP upgrade. As mentioned before it mentions both engines, N and the modified G
  2. SE02930AT is the STC for the IO-550G upgrade to 2700 RPM
  3. Each of the props mentioned above has dedicated a STC for the 310HP upgrade. Hartzell did not charge extra for the STC.
  4. Depending on your cockpit you may need an additional TACH that is redlined at 2700 RPM. The M20S Mauritz gauge redline is at 2400 RPM

Most STCs are on the FAA webpage for reference.

I agree with everyone above: The Acclaim S prop is the way to go!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Bringing this old thread back up.  If the factory is closed, what's the likelihood of getting the 310 hp upgrade STC?   I flew with another who had this on his O and said you also got a gross weight increase with this too?  

Edited by NJMac

Just now, NJMac said:

Bringing this old thread back up.  If the factory is closed, what's the likelihood of getting the 310 hp upgrade STC?   I flew with another who had this on his O and said you also got a gross weight increase with this too?  

The weight increase is only for the eagle. Not for the ovations. Id figure you could call agl aviation and ask them if they can get it. I got it through them.

• Like 2

GW increase... Not for the O.... the O is maxed out already... same as the Bravo... and Acclaim...

that may have been for the artificially constrained Eagle...

The Eagle had a few marketing induced limitations applied to it...

• HP
  • Fuel volume
  • Interior luxuries 
  • Avionics

making the Screamin’ Eagle cost a few AMUs to put all those things back, or exceed....

Buy the STC before there are deeper legal challenges...  get paperwork as you hand them cash...  :)

Could be a win-win for all involved...

PP thoughts,

-a-

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mufflerbearing said:

It appears that the Acclaim S prop was a solid recommendation over the MT.  Is that still the case?  Is there a speed or weight advantage one over the other?

I think you already have the thick blade top prop.  Probably not worth the upgrade price to pick up the extra 5 kts.  From what I’ve read the mt and thick blade are similar in cruise. 

• Like 1

I went with the thin blade... based on WnB benefits...

The MT didn’t have the STC finished at the time... and I only had knowledge of one person using a composite prop at the time... Scott from Kansas...

The MT should be worth looking into as it’s four blader is lighter than the three aluminum blades...

Its been quite a few years since then...

Best regards,

-a-