Using Bose QC 25’s for passengers?

MIm20c

I’m thinking about buying a set or two of the Bose QC for my family to use in the plane.  Main concern is finding a comfortable but protective set that my Son will tolerate (19 months).  I use a set of the a20’s and really like them. Also have two older 30 3g’s that work ok.  

Will the QC’s provide enough protection or are they mainly for quieter environments like a coffee shop or commercial flights?

I purchased a set of hearing protectors for him but they pinch too much and are uncomfortable for long periods. 

32 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I’m thinking about buying a set or two of the Bose QC for my family to use in the plane.  Main concern is finding a comfortable but protective set that my Son will tolerate (19 months).  I use a set of the a20’s and really like them. Also have two older 30 3g’s that work ok.  

Will the QC’s provide enough protection or are they mainly for quieter environments like a coffee shop or commercial flights?

I purchased a set of hearing protectors for him but they pinch too much and are uncomfortable for long periods. 

The a20s NC effect is 3 times more effective than the qc15, 25, and 35. They might work but the a20s will be a solid improvement.

Another set of headphones i really like are the sony hear on 2. I had the qc25 and the sony, and the sonys are more comfy, cheaper, can be used both wirelessly and wired, and the nc is better.

• Like 1

If you're looking for a cheap (listen only) passenger option, I can't suggest strongly enough buying a set of Plugfones (www.plugfones.com) and running them through a 1/4" to 1/8" headphone adapter. For a few bucks, you've got the hearing protection, no pinch, and audio. This probably wouldn't be much of an option for the 19 month old though.

My 3 year old has been flying with me since he was 9 months old. He wears the infant size Baby banz ear muffs (https://usa.banzworld.com/collections/hearing-protection/products/earbanz-infant-hearing-protection?variant=14491061379). We purchased the kids size later thinking he would need the size up at some point. The kids size ear muffs pinch too much. He has a larger than average size head, and the infants ones still fit well at 3 1/2. In addition to the ear muffs, we put cotton balls in his ears as well. It's extra protection with the ear muffs on, and it's some protection if the ear muffs come off temporarily for some reason.

• Like 1

I purchased the em’s 4 kids a year ago and they are just too tight imo. 

16 hours ago, AaronDC8402 said:

If you're looking for a cheap (listen only) passenger option, I can't suggest strongly enough buying a set of Plugfones (www.plugfones.com) and running them through a 1/4" to 1/8" headphone adapter. For a few bucks, you've got the hearing protection, no pinch, and audio. This probably wouldn't be much of an option for the 19 month old though.

My 3 year old has been flying with me since he was 9 months old. He wears the infant size Baby banz ear muffs (https://usa.banzworld.com/collections/hearing-protection/products/earbanz-infant-hearing-protection?variant=14491061379). We purchased the kids size later thinking he would need the size up at some point. The kids size ear muffs pinch too much. He has a larger than average size head, and the infants ones still fit well at 3 1/2. In addition to the ear muffs, we put cotton balls in his ears as well. It's extra protection with the ear muffs on, and it's some protection if the ear muffs come off temporarily for some reason.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll probably try the banz and see if the clamping force is more reasonable. 

11 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

When my Kids were little - I didn't bother piping sound to them. Just use pediatric sized (they make them) ear plug foams.  

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Earplugs-Reduction-Protection-Sleeping/dp/B07B77BN2X/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1522891976&sr=1-2&keywords=ear+foams+kids

I don’t know about using foam plugs for someone that young?  I’ll have to do some research. 

23 hours ago, MIm20c said:

I used the QC-15 with the uflymike for my daughter from age 6-12 and it was a great solution.  The aviation Bose were too heavy, kept falling off her head forward.

Now the QC-15 comes in handy for a spare headset available at low cost.  I was pretty impressed with the noise canceling.

4 hours ago, Bob said:

I used the QC-15 with the uflymike for my daughter from age 6-12 and it was a great solution.  The aviation Bose were too heavy, kept falling off her head forward.

Now the QC-15 comes in handy for a spare headset available at low cost.  I was pretty impressed with the noise canceling.

I would think that would be too big for a 2 year old.

I had something very much like the Qc15 for my 6 year old (who is now 16!!!  16 10/12!!!) but soon he started plugging the headset into the iPad showing movies instead of the audio.  Strangely then he liked the ear buds foams with no audio - just foam - so no sound, but while watching his favorite movies.  Which I found strange but he liked that.  Actually then he would watch for like 10 or 20 min and glance out the window some and talk to me and not notice that when I talked back to him he wasn't hearing me but seemed happy...then next thing you know he was asleep anyway So no audio needed anyway.  Foam ear inserts are the way to go for most small kid situations I think.

My primary concern with trying to give my son audio is that I don't trust his judgement of whether or not the volume is too loud. The last thing I want to do is put him in a loud airplane and "protect" his ears with the ATIS blaring at max volume. At 3 1/2 now, he's still not quite at a point that I trust his judgement for that. I think at some point in the next year I'll be able to let him try having a headset.

Once he has audio, I'm certain he'll have more interest in hearing a video on his tablet rather than listening to the radios.