Why Isn’t G.A. Integrated into Reality Based T.V.?

Most of the reality based shows that are successful are so because of character build up.  I think a great idea that could promote GA would be to showcase a number of pilots that volunteer to do life flights as well as rescue flights for dogs and cats. The life flights would provide drama and the rescue flights would help keep it light and fun. Then as with so many reality shows once you get the viewers into the characters you could branch out to other types of flights such as vacation adventure or trips to fly in events. I even thought it would be cool if Diners Drive ins and dives did a season of airport resturaunts that Guy Could fly to.

Edited by bonal
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, bonal said:

Most of the reality based shows that are successful are so because of character build up.  I think a great idea that could promote GA would be to showcase a number of pilots that volunteer to do life flights as well as rescue flights for dogs and cats. The life flights would provide drama and the rescue flights would help keep it light and fun. Then as with so many reality shows once you get the viewers into the characters you could branch out to other types of flights such as vacation adventure or trips to fly in events. I even thought it would be cool if Diners Drive ins and dives did a season of airport resturaunts that Guy Could fly to.

Part of what makes “triple D” so successful, though, is the accessibility of the destination and the idea that “yeah, I could go there and partake in that!”  The allure is more the “hidden gem” but achievable effect.  GA doesn’t really offer that type of appeal.

Your average American TV viewer wouldn’t be able to relate to something where a small airplane takes you to a small diner at a small (or even large) airport.  It’s just not an “approachable” topic for viewing.  Honestly, most GA pilots probably wouldn’t watch either... they’d be busy flying to the airports to go get said $100 hamburger.

Edited by M016576

Watching Shifting Gears With Aaron Kaufman (formerly of Fast & Loud) and in the middle. Of a Big Rig Gig building a racing semi Aaron takes a break and goes up flying with a friend in his fully acrobatic plane.  First they did some donuts on the runway and then launched into some full on aerobatics.  Short and sweet.  Aaron got to fly and do some aero and in the end he states: “I need to get my pilots license”.  Win for GA?  I think so.  Fun episode.  (Alexa must be eavesdropping and giving away my ideas) :)

8 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Watching Shifting Gears With Aaron Kaufman (formerly of Fast & Loud) and in the middle. Of a Big Rig Gig building a racing semi Aaron takes a break and goes up flying with a friend in his fully acrobatic plane.  First they did some donuts on the runway and then launched into some full on aerobatics.  Short and sweet.  Aaron got to fly and do some aero and in the end he states: “I need to get my pilots license”.  Win for GA?  I think so.  Fun episode.  (Alexa must be eavesdropping and giving away my ideas) :)

I am not sure that was a win for GA unless the show chronicles Aaron actually getting his PPL.

Also, his aviation "friend" was Rob Holland, professional aerobatic and airshow pilot.  Not exactly GA.

1 hour ago, kpaul said:

I am not sure that was a win for GA unless the show chronicles Aaron actually getting his PPL.

Also, his aviation "friend" was Rob Holland, professional aerobatic and airshow pilot.  Not exactly GA.

Thanks for that outstanding clarification Kevin.  Super.  Super duper.  Well done sir.

20 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Loved Ba Ba Black Sheep (as a kid) and Wild Wild West before that.  Never caught the Wings series.

I tried to get my transition instructor to do a wing over.   He said the Mooney picks to much speed too quickly

• Haha 1