Why Isn’t G.A. Integrated into Reality Based T.V.?

1 minute ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I always wonder why the people on shows like the great race don't run down to the airport and get a plane.

They aren't allowed to. All participants must use commercial aviation, I image for liability reasons.

2 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Scott, the exact show you're describing already exists.  It was carried generally on PBS and they did 81 episodes.  You can buy the DVDs. @KSMooniac already mentioned it.

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

I have never caught an episode and would like to.  Looks like the closest thing to what I am interested in, but with an even greater focus on GA.

Call me a hater, but I just don’t think the experience translates.

I read this in a book, but I think it may apply here:

the only people that find flying cool are pilots, other pilots and boyscouts.

I found the flying scenes in flying wild alaska to be kind of boring.  From experience- 500 KTS at 200’ feels fast.  500KTS at 20,000’ feels kind of slow.  I can’t imagine trying to quantify a 10 or 20 knot difference between GA aircraft on camera, and make it an exciting, perceptive difference.  At least not in the way you can make a car appear more exciting (thinking top gear).  Also, cars have a wider appear, as they are more accessible and more understandable... they give a feeling of “I can do that.”  Where as GA may not.  And no matter how sexy I think my Mooney looks, when people that don’t know about GA see it, all they see is a coffin with wings!

51 minutes ago, M016576 said:

Call me a hater, but I just don’t think the experience translates.

I read this in a book, but I think it may apply here:

the only people that find flying cool are pilots, other pilots and boyscouts.

I found the flying scenes in flying wild alaska to be kind of boring.  From experience- 500 KTS at 200’ feels fast.  500KTS at 20,000’ feels kind of slow.  I can’t imagine trying to quantify a 10 or 20 knot difference between GA aircraft on camera, and make it an exciting, perceptive difference.  At least not in the way you can make a car appear more exciting (thinking top gear).  Also, cars have a wider appear, as they are more accessible and more understandable... they give a feeling of “I can do that.”  Where as GA may not.  And no matter how sexy I think my Mooney looks, when people that don’t know about GA see it, all they see is a coffin with wings!

Pretty much nailed that pard.  That is why “My Show” would be a quick hit on GA with a meet/intro of plane/owner/pilot and take off low runway flyboy for speed and a quick cabin shot with wiz bang gauges a shot of the airspeed with knot to MPH conversion and a gear coming down and final...and cut to the hot four wheel ride :)

I get it man.  I surely do.

• Like 3

Sadly I don't see many opportunities for reality shows involving airplanes.  I recall one some years ago with ferry pilots, and another with fire fighting planes, but none lasted. 

I'm not in the TV business, but I would think for a show to succeed, it would have to bring lots of people drama, or shows folks some unique experience.  I can picture the following having a small chance of success.

• Guys fly a plane to remote places for camping and document the wonderful places you can only get to by plane.  This might last for 20 episodes.
  • A flying brothel.  --You would at least get lots of people drama.

5 hours ago, 320KPH said:

I really enjoyed this documentary, especially since I flew out of Van Nuys for a number of years and learned all about its illustrious history as a GA airport and Hollywood backdrop.

I think Scott’s original thought on this WAS NOT a full blown “aviation themed” reality show but seeing some aviation benefits shown in existing or new reality shows where the entire theme wasn’t aviation.  

Frankly, I think this would bring interest to GA without the entire show needing to be filled aviation footage.   I think the concept had merit if a producer is willing and open to the idea.  

Tom

• Like 2

On 4/4/2018 at 9:38 PM, MyNameIsNobody said:

Pretty much nailed that pard.  That is why “My Show” would be a quick hit on GA with a meet/intro of plane/owner/pilot and take off low runway flyboy for speed and a quick cabin shot with wiz bang gauges a shot of the airspeed with knot to MPH conversion and a gear coming down and final...and cut to the hot four wheel ride :)

I get it man.  I surely do.

I'd totally watch that.  Only thing I watch now is Pickers and Paw Patrol. I know a few producers, but TV and Film is not their medium.  Surely somebody, somewhere has to be pitching this.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

I think Scott’s original thought on this WAS NOT a full blown “aviation themed” reality show but seeing some aviation benefits shown in existing or new reality shows where the entire theme wasn’t aviation.  

Frankly, I think this would bring interest to GA without the entire show needing to be filled aviation footage.   I think the concept had merit if a producer is willing and open to the idea.  

Tom

That’s a BINGO.  Thanks for seeing/getting my point Yooper.  I am about marketing how GA can “make other fun stuff/adventure” happen by being a time travel machine.  A machine that is pretty cool and worthy of pursuit.

4 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

That’s a BINGO.  Thanks for seeing/getting my point Yooper.  I am about marketing how GA can “make other fun stuff/adventure” happen by being a time travel machine.  A machine that is pretty cool and worthy of pursuit.

For my part, sorry I misunderstood.

I agree, I wish there was a show like the old “Sky King”. It might help bring some new folks into GA. 

• Like 1

This is on Amazon prime

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Flights_with_Neil_Armstrong

It' kind of amusing.   We went through the Prima Aviation museum and Mrs Yetti when we were done was like "I had no idea you knew that much about airplanes"  "You were like my own tour guide"   I really thought B52s would be bigger than they are.   On the reality show concept, my transition  said "always be airline smooth"   If you are flying like that, I don't think it transitions very well to exciting TV unless you just have the aviation bug.

3 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

What you really need is a normal bog standard soap opera, with one or two of the characters having a small light plane, who uses it to, travel on little trips, ie just like we do.  This will get the general public to understand GA and get on board.  Catering just for aviation geeks like us doesnt help us as aviation is boring when done well, just like driving a car, except higher up. :)

If the general public see how useful planes are as a means of transport by gently drip feeding into their brains how easy it is to fely etc then they will jump on board.  

Agree 100%.  That was my intent to have a soft “A-Ha” moment for viewers that GA really does allow MORE of life through opening up opportunities for experiences that could not be had with traditional land based travel.

• Thanks 1