Bravo GX serial numbers

DavidB

Hello everyone. I'm looking at an '06 Bravo GX which seems to suit my mission. There is one thing puzzling me though. While performing a Vref on the AOPA website, I noticed that the series of '06 model serial numbers are: 326 328-342 344-352  This rather inconveniently leaves out the serial number of the plane that I'm interested in (343). Does anyone have any idea why this would be the case? I certainly don't want to get a frankenstein. 

I don't claim to have specific knowledge of the break in serial numbers, but I'll speculate. ;)

My guess is it would be due to some configuration change that was being worked out in the midst of normal production... An example might be the change from STEC 55X autopilots to the GFC700. I'm not sure the Bravo got that autopilot, but I'm sure someone else here will know. Could be a different propeller as well.

VREF might not have the specific info regarding what might differ to populate their tool, so they leave it out.

As a work around, I'd work up VREF for examples on either side of the break and see if there is a difference. Pay attention to available options.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, DavidB said:

Hello everyone. I'm looking at an '06 Bravo GX which seems to suit my mission. There is one thing puzzling me though. While performing a Vref on the AOPA website, I noticed that the series of '06 model serial numbers are: 326 328-342 344-352  This rather inconveniently leaves out the serial number of the plane that I'm interested in (343). Does anyone have any idea why this would be the case? I certainly don't want to get a frankenstein. 

There were only 20 Bravo GX's made, serial numbers 27-0331 to 27-0350. They started  down the assembly line in mid 2004, but the G1000 didn't get FAA approval until November  2004 so they were sold as 2005 models. Since the one you are looking at was exported to Canada (C-FHEO Tail number) that may explain why it was out of sync sequentially and maybe not registered until 2006.

One thing to consider with the GX Bravos is that none of them came from the factory with the Garmin GFC700 autopilot since that wasn't approved until late 2007. I think only one Bravo GX owner ever went back later and changed out their STEC 55 to the GFC 700, for around $60,000 if I remember correctly, but that may have included WAAS.

If the one you are looking at doesn't have WAAS it will be over $20,000 to do that. There may be a possibility of upgrading the STEC 55 autopilot to the new 3100 when it's approved for $10,000 plus installation.