Mooney M20F Versus M20F Exec 21

There is no such thing as an M20J Executive 21. The Executive 21 is an M20F. Now, there may be some sellers out there that might be advertising it this way because the airplane has enough speed mods that the owner thinks it's as good as an M20J 201. With enough money, an M20F can be turned into an M20J and some have done that, but officially, there are no M20J Executives.

The differences between an M20F and M20J are numerous, but if one really wants to, the F can become the J.

Edited by DaV8or

Thank you!
Hence, the 20F and the Exec 21 are the same airplane, it was simply the name.
There is no difference between a 1966 M20F and a 1967 Exec 21

I’m pretty sure my 1975F POH says Executive 21 on the front cover as well. I think it was a marketing ploy. If I remember correctly, there was an ad from the 60s showing a guy in a suit getting into an F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15 hours ago, Marauder said:

If I remember correctly, there was an ad from the 60s showing a guy in a suit getting into an F.

Not only with Executive 21.

Not surprising as back then, everyone wore suit!

l-opiq315c7vu6gu.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stormflyer said:

Thank you, I messed up I meant to say the difference between the 20F and the 20F Exec 21.

I will try to correct the title.

Oh, OK. There is no difference. M20F is the official model designation and Executive 21 is the marketing name given to the very same airplane. Much like the Cessna C-172 is also known as the Skyhawk.

1 hour ago, Alan Fox said:

Then there is the FJ Cruiser

Yes there is. My wife fell in love with the production concept at the LA Auto Show and bought one of the first ones in California. I never cared much for it as I am a car guy. I always called it the "Lumber Wagon". Years later my wife had to have spinal surgery (not due to the FJ) and afterward her doctor told her to get something squishier to drive, so she traded it for a Lexus RX-350. I now call that the "Lumbar Wagon". :lol:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

There just mite be one of these at SNF to celebrate the 70 years of Mooneys! (and maybe a Porsche 356 to celebrate 70 years of Porsche's to boot!)

Wouldn’t t be neat if Mooney and Porsche got together and built an airplane?

Clarence

On 4/2/2018 at 11:05 PM, Marauder said:

I’m pretty sure my 1975F POH says Executive 21 on the front cover as well. I think it was a marketing ploy. If I remember correctly, there was an ad from the 60s showing a guy in a suit getting into an F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have gone to meetings several times and got out of my F with a suit on and will be doing it again in a couple of weeks.:D:P

Oh and with a hat yeah I'm really weird.  :o

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2018 at 6:52 AM, 1964-M20E said:

I have gone to meetings several times and got out of my F with a suit on and will be doing it again in a couple of weeks.:D:P

Oh and with a hat yeah I'm really weird.  :o

So the marketing worked,  that is why you have an M20 "EXECUTIVE"

John Breda

On 4/4/2018 at 6:52 AM, 1964-M20E said:

1 hour ago, pstone said:

I think that plane in the ad is my 1962 C model.  I have have never seen it in its original state.   

I'm quite certain it is, I saw that ad in an old copy of Flying magazine or something when I was in college.

1 hour ago, pstone said:

I looked up that N# last night.  That was my original N#.  If anyone can direct me towards those ads, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat 

Just Google vintage Mooney advertising and check for photos.

Also, have a look on Ebay. some sellers have them, taken out of old magazines. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, pstone said:

I looked up that N# last night.  That was my original N#.  If anyone can direct me towards those ads, it would be much appreciated.

I can't absolutely tell you which magazine it was in when I saw it, however, I was at college and they had an archive room full of old magazines.  I saw "flying" or something else, and I think it was something else that struck my mind because the name of the magazine was familiar, but it had changed since the '60s, it might have been "Aviation Week & Space Technology," but I can't remember.  Anyway, I'm guessing that if you can get to such an archive, any 1961 general aviation magazine will have the ad somewhere.

I couldn't find it on a quick google search, but maybe I don't have the google foo you have, @Igor_U.