How important is Nav2 to you?

NJMac

Just did a totally new panel and no Nav 2 for me.  I will carry a stratus and my iPad for backup and I am sure I will be fine.....

I tend to agree. I would rather have my Stratus an iPad as a backup then an old navcom.
I would have no problem shooting an approach to minimums using my Stratus and an iPad. In fact, I have done that very thing, albeit with a VOR tuned for legality.
I would choose a second GPS Source over a second VOR source Any day any time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ferrite Ferrule. After showing them the video, JPI sent me one in the mail. It attaches to the lead for the JPI remote indicator. According to some folks I spoke with, it could should have been dealt within in the unit itself by shielding that circuit.

I couldn’t tell from the video, but did it do this even if the indicator wasn’t on?

When relying on i-devices as back-up...

know how long they run without being plugged in...

The GPS chip sucks a lot of energy. The battery will be draining quickly...

I did the test on an older IPhone.  It would be enough to land, now, ASAP...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Best regards,

-a-

I tested the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" (a cheapo tablet Costco was selling).  Fully charged, it lasted 6 hours running Fltplan Go with the screen and GPS continuously on.  My Galaxy S8 phone outlasted my patience (it has an AMOLED screen that is supposed to be more efficient).

YMMV, but the newer devices seem to be much more efficient.  That's a lot of screen time...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, carusoam said:

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

I tested the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" (a cheapo tablet Costco was selling).  Fully charged, it lasted 6 hours running Fltplan Go with the screen and GPS continuously on.  My Galaxy S8 phone outlasted my patience (it has an AMOLED screen that is supposed to be more efficient).

YMMV, but the newer devices seem to be much more efficient.  That's a lot of screen time...

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.0" on the yoke. The longest I have flown in a day was about 7 hours and I think I still had around 40% left. I don't have the location turned on, just pull the GPS via wifi from my Stratux. That may contribute to increased battery life. 

And if need be I can plug it into the cigarette lighter. 

• Like 1

Follow-up...

My IPhone (5) lasts all day, unless

• I make a long call....
  • Use WingX...
  • Use Waze

Lately, the batteries are known to have age problems...

The active chips that are used use up lots of energy.  You may get a hint if the device starts to get warm while using it.

Best regards,

-a-

19 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

It would make too much sense to cross check your VOR radial to your GPS, but that is not allowed for VOR tests.

The reason is that the VOR's version of magnetic North may differ from the current magnetic North by several degrees, since the VOR declination is set at install time and not changed when magnetic variation changes.

My number one is a 430AW and I have a number two comm and a number two nav (KNS 80).  The 430 has been there for several years because on a day when I had the comm 2 out of the plane and in the shop being repaired, the previous GPS (an Apollo) made a crispy smell and both nav and radio went black.  It happened to be a day when there was an airshow at my home field.  I had the sense to get on the cell (a new idea back in that day), and got to come in with a cell phone clearance and light gun signals, with all the warbirds on the ground watching.  Lots of fun. Backup is important no matter how little you use it.  I use my Comm 2 quite a bit, it is an old King, and there is a known problem with the radio in the 430AW.  Great transmitter, but not such a good board, and it will lose reception if there is a lot of weather around (not a good time for that) and I am up in the higher altitudes.  The old King is lots better when that happens.  So put me down for two comms.  My usage of the KNS 80 is mostly for ancillary tasks like getting weather at airports that only broadcast it on a Nav channel, or putting in VORs along my route just in case the 430 gets indigestion.  It does have a DME though, which I find very useful.  I would not fly IMC without a second Nav even though failure of the 430 is a nonexistent problem to date.  I have a Stratus2 and iPad, but would not be interested in using that for any true nav purpose, esp. not relying on it in IMC.  You really need a fixed mount for the sensor for that purpose.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 2:29 PM, Guitarmaster said:

I would have no problem shooting an approach to minimums using my Stratus and an iPad. 

Please do it solo......no need to send anyone else to an early meeting with the creator......

• Like 2

Hijacking or reviving  this thread!

I am in the process of getting an IFD440 now and intended to keep my trusty KX175BE with Mac1700 conversion. In order to keep VOR and ILS working do I need a second CDI with glidescope? 

If so what would you guys recommend?

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

Hijacking or reviving  this thread!

I am in the process of getting an IFD440 now and intended to keep my trusty KX175BE with Mac1700 conversion. In order to keep VOR and ILS working do I need a second CDI with glidescope? 

If so what would you guys recommend?

I am looking at the same upgrade. I think you need a new indicator compatible to IFD440. I am looking into G5/HSI to pair it to Avidyne...

And you could keep old King, of course.

Edited by Igor_U
  • Like 1

I am looking at the same upgrade. I think you need a new indicator compatible to IFD440. I am looking into G5/HSI to pair it to Avidyne...
And you could keep old King, of course.
Does the G5 HSI integrate with the ifd440? If so I might have to make that upgrade. My ifd440 and sl30 are going in about 2 weeks. I paid for a used CDI to hook to the 440 but maybe that money can go towards the g5 HSI instead if they talk together?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Does the G5 HSI integrate with the ifd440? If so I might have to make that upgrade. My ifd440 and sl30 are going in about 2 weeks. I paid for a used CDI to hook to the 440 but maybe that money can go towards the g5 HSI instead if they talk together?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pretty sure they do talk to each other. I have asked my shop to pre-wire my IFD 440 for G% in the future. 

39 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Does the G5 HSI integrate with the ifd440?

Well,

IFD440 is slide in replacement for Garmin 430 and accordingly to Avidyne, it should "talk" to G5.

However, G5 STC does not list it as approved GPS/NAV, it lists only Garmin's product. I have asked Garmin about it and Garmin's answer was:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. The Avidyne system is not approved as an interface with our G5 under the Garmin STC. this would be something you would have to contact them to verify if they have completed any needed testing for the interface and have the necessary 429 and 232 configurations for. Garmin has no plans to add this interface to our STC.

Not really something you want to hear but you should discuss this with Avidyne; they were helpful while talking to them on the phone.

Good luck

• Like 1

Garmin uses a certain protocol (Aviation 1 I think is the setting on my GTN), as long as IFD fully supports that protocol it should work.
However, let’s say you have a problem with the G5, you call Garmin, they ask you about the settings and model of your GPS. What do you expect then?
They are rightfully going to point the finger at Avidyne, who is going to point to Garmin.
If you goes this route, you better hope you don’t have a problem.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 6:56 PM, jaylw314 said:

It is definitely living in Texas.  No problems finding minimums around the Pacific NW :)

Heck Paul, just a couple of weeks ago it was minimums in KERV the 2 days i flew in from West Houston. Clear above 7K, soup to 300' AGL. Great IFR training wx as it was benign, no TS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Heck Paul, just a couple of weeks ago it was minimums in KERV the 2 days i flew in from West Houston. Clear above 7K, soup to 300' AGL. Great IFR training wx as it was benign, no TS.

That's my favorite kind of weather... :D  We just don't get enough of it.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2018 at 2:57 AM, mike_elliott said:

Hey Mike can I ask how do you work out if there are any significant convective activities before plunging into the cloud?

9 hours ago, Tommy said:

Hey Mike can I ask how do you work out if there are any significant convective activities before plunging into the cloud?

Tommy, the plane I was in, a 2018 Mooney Ultra ovation has the Garmin NXI that will show lightning strikes, along with NEXRAD ADSB and Sirus XM. That still doesn't relieve us of our duty to do a proper weather briefing, which we also did. aviationweather.gov is a  site we use here as well as weathermeister.com. Some rely on a foreflight briefing, others use SKEW T charts to predict the instability that leads to wild rides. Here in the Colonies, we are charged with gathering "all available information" to insure the safe outcome of a flight. Miss one thing and we could be found "GUILTY" (Phrased in an NTSB report as "a contributing factor was the pilots failure to gain all available information ....." as we have in our culture, an insane appetite to get blame laid, even on mother natures acts of vengence. 

The question you asked is the topic of Bachelor's of Science degrees in thesis in meteorology, and as a pilot, we are all just freshmen when it comes to weather and lightning predictability.

If you find yourself suddenly in a bad place in a cloud without on board aids, the most frightening but best way is to plow straight ahead. You will probably exit the cell faster that way

• Like 4

Things for a PP to possibly Keep in mind....

a pair of ILSs would be better than a single ILS.  In the event a display goes down or stops working for some reason...

Waas approaches are really cool to go with the ILS. If you have these approaches available in your neighborhoods...

For weather... keep in mind...

• that some type of thunderstorms are imbedded in a whole cloud system, obscuring them from view...
  • Plowing through one can be a good idea, until you find the next one is bigger and stronger....

Some types of weather are both...

• regional
  • seasonal

There are two types of onboard weather avoidance we have available...

• Strategic/Planning: XM and ADSB, great graphics and usability, but too aged to used in real time...
  • Tactical/avoidance: Strike detector, great to use in flight to avoid some thunderstorms...

There are some limitations that come with those...

• Strategic Limitation: Some graphic weather info can be broadcast 15 minutes old without much detail for how old the data actually is...
  • Tactical Limitation: Some Strike detectors can only show the storm in front, masking/shadowing the next storm behind it....

Killer weather patterns come about with things like spring cold fronts...  wide spread lines of thunderstorms... that are 50 Miles deep and hundreds of miles wide... completely embedded in IMC...

Anything that spawns tornadoes is something to avoid by hundreds of miles...

Spring thunderstorms are pretty good at throwing large pieces of hail around...

Another part of the planning for equipment comes with how far away are your alternative airports... do they exist in different types of weather patterns... near oceans, near mountains...

think about your alternatives...  

• traveling to get to VFR weather because of a single piece of piece of equipment has failed
  • traveling to get to better/higher IMC to use a VOR approach because your ILS receiver/antenna has failed...
  • radar approach... Got one of these?

Just things to consider when deciding what to put in a panel.  Have a Plan B for everything...

• Alternators fail
  • vacuum pumps fail
  • Radios fail
  • Antennae fail (incidental grounding by ice)

A PP can feel pretty alone with widespread thunderstorms and hundreds of flights requesting weather info from flight watch.... A strong weather system can really overload any ground based / voice radio delivered weather info system...

PP stuff I have picked up along the way. Not a CFI or weatherman...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

It's pretty easy to see, especially here in Texas where the ground is flat, the difference between stable clouds and unstable clouds. When we get low clouds and solid overcast, it's usually very stable. There might be some light rain or just fog/low clouds. You can be confident that there is no convective activity anywhere within range of full tanks.  And likewise it's also easy to see when it's unstable and therefore convective. Texas thunderstorms are legendary and we give them a wide berth. Here's an example. It doesn't look like we gave it much room, because it was filling in behind us pretty quickly. We had plenty of room and stayed out of the turbulence. But these are easy to see. An IFR flight but VMC the whole way.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N252AD/history/20180403/1630Z/KGTU/KADS

• Like 1