Garmin GFC 500 Autopilot needs Mooney lobbying

KB4

Garmin said it expects to expand the list of approved aircraft models, with the Piper PA-28 series slated for the first quarter of 2018, and the Beechcraft 35S/35V anticipated in the second quarter of 2018.

Additional models are anticipated for the STC list.

To suggest certification for other aircraft types, contact Garmin’s sales department and provide specific aircraft make and model information.   aviation.sales@garmin.com

07/16/2018 Update: Garmin is supposedly making an announcement tomorrow.  It's expected that they will announce the new list of approved models for the GFC500 

Edited by MooneyMartian9
new information

Its an Ovation.  N430G.  I've seen it in some of their videos.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N430G/history

It spent a lot of time flying to Wichita in December and January.  A whole bunch of flights to the Beech Factory in January and March, and a string of flights to nowhere on March 8.  Is flight testing something for us wishful thinking?

Edited by hypertech

1 hour ago, hypertech said:

Its an Ovation.  N430G.  I've seen it in some of their videos.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N430G/history

It spent a lot of time flying to Wichita in December and January.  A whole bunch of flights to the Beech Factory in January and March, and a string of flights to nowhere on March 8.  Is flight testing something for us wishful thinking?

The problem is probably over half of the ovations are FIKI with which the g5 (and therefore the 500) is illegal to use. More likely they are testing the 600 series AP. 

5 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

The problem is probably over half of the ovations are FIKI with which the g5 (and therefore the 500) is illegal to use. More likely they are testing the 600 series AP. 

Is it illegal to install a G5 on a Fiki aircraft, or does the G5 installation just invalidate the FIKI certification?

Is Beechcraft going to buy Mooney!?!

That would make a good article for 4/1/2019.

5 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Is there a certification issue why the G5 isn't legal or is is a sales and marketing ruse  to drive us rich FIKI owners into something higher dollar $$?  Said with some sarcasm and cynicism.....

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

Textron bought Beechcraft and in a year or two, it wont be building airplanes anymore.

Are you saying that tongue in cheek or do you really believe that will be the case? If so what would happen to the Beech line of aircraft, sold to another concern? I can’t imagine Beechcraft going out of production.

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

I dont know, but I suspect one out of 5 is FIKI from what I have seen.

Good point and you have a lot more experience in other aircraft. I only go off what I see on the used market. For controller right now that would be 28% ovation, 67% acclaim, and 50% bravo equipped for FIKI.  So for long body aircraft I’m guessing the gfc600 is the only option that will be offered. 

17 minutes ago, Mark89114 said:

Is there a certification issue why the G5 isn't legal or is is a sales and marketing ruse  to drive us rich FIKI owners into something higher dollar $$?  Said with some sarcasm and cynicism.....

I’m not sure if it’s a TSO thing or what but the problem is if the PS system is lost (frozen over) the reduced accuracy of the AI has not been certified as being usable.  

My only point was if Garmin put it into the STC install manual that FIKI aircraft are prohibited and a portion of our fleet is equipped they might skip the long bodies. 

8 hours ago, MooneyMartian9 said:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/604257

Garmin lists it at 7k.  Fly away with all the add on's is 14k.

That sounds lower than I think it will be.

I figure 7k + dual g5 plus electric trim plus the box to interface to your gps plus install.  I bet 20k.

3 hours ago, teejayevans said:

For most, the G5s will not be part of the calculus on costs, because they have,want G5s in their own merits.

Well - I find the G5's to be a bonus....

But - they cost dollars and if I take the Mooney to the avionics shop and I say how much will it be to install the system, I will be asking what is the complete cost.  SO I count the G5's as part of the cost every bit as much as that since I want electric trim then I would expect that cost to be considered too.

14 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Textron bought Beechcraft and in a year or two, it wont be building airplanes anymore.

13 hours ago, Bravoman said:

Are you saying that tongue in cheek or do you really believe that will be the case? If so what would happen to the Beech line of aircraft, sold to another concern? I can’t imagine Beechcraft going out of production.

Might be the fact the sales numbers of Bonanza's are right up there with the TTX...

King Air numbers appear to be a bit better.

12 hours ago, teejayevans said:

I got form letter stating my interest has been noted, we currently have not scheduled ....blah blah blah

I got the same letter.  When my Stec finally goes, I'd like other options.