Manager/Agent

Mid-Continent Aircraft Corp.

Louisiana Insurance Division

P.O. Box 187, Estherwood, LA 70534

(800)280-2884 Toll Free

(337)783-7366 Phone

(337)783-5526 Fax

(337)224-0782 Cell

I have a Global Aerospace policy written through Mid Continent in Hayti, MO. Been very happy and just renewed. $130K hull, no deducible. $1,296. I have about 650 TT, 250 complex and IR. I attended the MAPA PPP last July and was hoping my premium would go down but the renewal was the same as the previous year.

13 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

But Clarence, that Canadian $$ 

(Let me know if you and Stewie are coming to SNF)

Hi Mike,

You're right about currency, if only I could get paid in US and buy in Canadian.

Heading down tomorrow morning for some other business, then to SnF on Tuesday.

Clarence

18 hours ago, kevinw said:

I have a Global Aerospace policy written through Mid Continent in Hayti, MO. Been very happy and just renewed. $130K hull, no deducible. $1,296. I have about 650 TT, 250 complex and IR. I attended the MAPA PPP last July and was hoping my premium would go down but the renewal was the same as the previous year.

With our Vintage planes, I've never had a premium reduction for the PPP. My big reductions were 100 Mooney hours (50%) and Instruments (33%). Then changing from a local broker to Falcon (20%) after I moved further than he was willing or able to write (600 miles).

• Like 1

Sadly that was  From what I've read thus far I doubt AOPA beats it. 

When I was shopping for insurance AOPA surprised me with the lowest quote of all. I almost didn’t even call them, thinking along the same lines as what you mentioned. Just saying, I wouldn’t rule them out, it’s worth a phone call at least.

• 7 months later...
On 11/18/2018 at 8:38 PM, jonhop said:

Just renewed my insurance through Falcon for $1389. No reduction in price and my carrier changed from Starr to Global Aerospace. A nice surprise was free Global Breakdown Assistance with SavvyAviation...

I also just renewed through Falcon. Mine changed from Starr in 2016 to Global in 2017 and is with Global this year as well. The free Global Breakdown Assistance with SavvyAviation was also included as a nice extra.

I have read of other's rates going up and mine did slightly, although possibly due to not as many hours flying this past year, I only flew a little over 100 as opposed to the 140 the previous year. For what it is worth, here are the rate changes, the percentages are probably more applicable as everyone's hull/liability amounts are different. I have kept mine the same so any rate changes were not due to changes in coverage. No additional ratings gained, thinking 2019 might be the year for the Instrument Rating.

• 2016 - 58.6 hours total time (all in past 12 months), new PPL, no complex time or time in type $1,525
  • 2017 -  201.2 hours total time, 151.1 in past 12 months, 142.6 retract and in type $1,005 (apprx 34% reduction)
  • 2018 - 303.9 hours total time, 102.2 in past 12 months, 242.6 retract and in type $1,070 (apprx 6.5% increase)
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

2016 - 58.6 hours total time (all in past 12 months), new PPL, no complex time or time in type $1,525

2017 -  201.2 hours total time, 151.1 in past 12 months, 142.6 retract and in type $1,005 (apprx 34% reduction)

2018 - 303.9 hours total time, 102.2 in past 12 months, 242.6 retract and in type $1,070 (apprx 6.5% increase)

Hull value and sublimits are important to note.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

I also just renewed through Falcon. Mine changed from Starr in 2016 to Global in 2017 and is with Global this year as well. The free Global Breakdown Assistance with SavvyAviation was also included as a nice extra.

I have read of other's rates going up and mine did slightly, although possibly due to not as many hours flying this past year, I only flew a little over 100 as opposed to the 140 the previous year. For what it is worth, here are the rate changes, the percentages are probably more applicable as everyone's hull/liability amounts are different. I have kept mine the same so any rate changes were not due to changes in coverage. No additional ratings gained, thinking 2019 might be the year for the Instrument Rating.

• 2016 - 58.6 hours total time (all in past 12 months), new PPL, no complex time or time in type $1,525
  • 2017 -  201.2 hours total time, 151.1 in past 12 months, 142.6 retract and in type $1,005 (apprx 34% reduction)
  • 2018 - 303.9 hours total time, 102.2 in past 12 months, 242.6 retract and in type $1,070 (apprx 6.5% increase)

My rates had stabilized around $1100 in Year 3, too. Then I got Instrument rated, and they dropped more; then I moved and changed to Falcon and the previous three years was $800-something. This year I think it went up to ~$930. Time is around 850 hours, but I'm flying less now, too. Hull value is unchanged, all airports uncontrolled and hangared.

1 hour ago, KLRDMD said:

Hull value and sublimits are important to note.

Yes, hull value and sub-limits affect rates and I stated that I had not changed any of my coverage limits. I was mainly pointing out the % decrease/increase year over year while maintaining the same coverage limits. 

I find that it is fairly pointless to compare my rates with someone else's as the algorithms/matrices that the underwriters use are fairly complicated. However, seeing how much someones rate changed as a percentage while they kept the same coverage seems more applicable in my mind. (Then again there are a lot of things floating around in my mind...)

For what it's worth, hull is $36k and sub-limits are $1M per occurrence, $100k per subject, no deductible. 

This got me thinking... maybe of a new way to discuss insurance rates. While the algorithms are all a bit different, the coverages are largely based on hull value, sub-limits, and pilot experience/ratings. We always compare pilot experience/ratings but the others never get compared. 

So lets assume two major categories of sub-limits

• Standard - $1M/occurance, $100K/subject, no deductible.
  • High - $1M smooth, no deductible.

Finally note your premium divided by hull value.

So I would note my coverage as costing: $0.01125/standard 

That's $1800/yr for 160K hull, standard sub limit.

Make sense or waste of time...?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

This got me thinking... maybe of a new way to discuss insurance rates. While the algorithms are all a bit different, the coverages are largely based on hull value, sub-limits, and pilot experience/ratings. We always compare pilot experience/ratings but the others never get compared. 

So lets assume two major categories of sub-limits

• Standard - $1M/occurance, $100K/subject, no deductible.
  • High - $1M smooth, no deductible.

Finally note your premium divided by hull value.

So I would note my coverage as costing: $0.01125/standard 

That's $1800/yr for 160K hull, standard sub limit.

Make sense or waste of time...?

I like that, but in the interest of making the numbers easier I would say divide by 1/1000 of the hull, ie: 160k hull value would be 160. Really we aren't looking for an amount  per $1000, we are just looking for a comparison figure. It's much easier to compare whole numbers than fractions of a penny.

1800 / 160 = 11.25 (Standard)

Mine would be 1070 / 36 = 29.72 (Standard). It would make sense that with my fewer hours and only a VFR rating it would be a much higher rate.

Edit: For ghee whiz since I've been trading emails with Falcon the last couple days about my renewal, I asked what the rates would be today (all my current info) if I increased the hull value to $46k, if I had added some avionics to the plane. They said it would take the rate up to $1,139. This is where comparing rates becomes more tricky as increasing hull value does not increase the rate in a linear fashion. If you took the same 29.72 number I had above it would have gone to $1,367. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I like that, but in the interest of making the numbers easier I would say divide by 1/1000 of the hull, ie: 160k hull value would be 160. Really we aren't looking for an amount  per $1000, we are just looking for a comparison figure. It's much easier to compare whole numbers than fractions of a penny.

1800 / 160 = 11.25 (Standard)

Mine would be 1070 / 36 = 29.72 (Standard). It would make sense that with my fewer hours and only a VFR rating it would be a much higher rate.

I like it!

Now we can compare apples to apples... sorta.

• Like 1

My current quote comes to 12.91 standard, with an increase in hull.  Last year was 11.44 and if I did not increase my hull this year it would be 13.58.  Good luck figuring that out.

Definitely not linear as my hull is half of Paul's and while I am positive he has more in type I have him on total time and certifications.

• Like 1

Yes.

1) When Engine and prop cost 60amu...

readjusting value is in order...

2) What you agree to with your insurance is important...

A total loss can be caused by a simple gear up landing.

What they pay you is the agreed upon value.

3) Being close is important.

No sense in over insuring or under insuring...

Under insuring makes it hard to buy an equal replacement if needed...

Over insuring, you pay more and probably won’t get more back...

4) either way insurance companies call it agreed upon value... you both have to agree on its value...

5) the one tricky thing... under insuring... you lower the value of the plane to lower the rate you are paying... then the unfortunate event occurs... the insurance company sees the damage and assess fixing it costs more than it’s worth... Then they pay the agreed upon value... the low one you agreed to earlier...

6) adjusting the value every year, based on use? Could be done... will it net anything?

From the expert in setting retail prices for used Mooneys... there isn’t an agreed upon resource for used Mooney pricing...

7) Part of the agreed upon Pricing includes the airframe and engine time. A significant amount of the premium is related to everything other than the airframe...

8) when you get quotes, supply the data you have, each year...

9) You get a few quotes back, only one or two will make sense for your situation...

PP thoughts only, not an insurance guy...

Best regards,

-a-

I just got my renewal back from global..  I thought it was going to go down from last year because i went from a little over 300hrs to 500hrs and added the multiengine rating to the Instrument commercial.   My standard coverage was unchanged at $80k hull.  Last year was $970, this year $1153.     Whaaaahaapen?

the saavy is worth something, but I wasn’t expecting an increase.   I guess everyone is seeing an increase?    Dang shade hangar also increased 20% this year.   

9 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

I just got my renewal back from global..  I thought it was going to go down from last year because i went from a little over 300hrs to 500hrs and added the multiengine rating to the Instrument commercial.   My standard coverage was unchanged at $80k hull.  Last year was $970, this year $1153.     Whaaaahaapen?

the saavy is worth something, but I wasn’t expecting an increase.   I guess everyone is seeing an increase?    Dang shade hangar also increased 20% this year.   

Went from QBE last year to Global this year.  Rate dropped $200.  I might be a different case though as my Mooney time went from 0 to 120.  CFI FW/RW.  Interested to see what happens year 3