M20E Oil Line Shield clamps

On the E the oil lines from the cowl mounted cooler both route under P/N 620014-3 "Oil Line Shield", which shield the lines as they pass under the exhaust headers above them. When I pulled the lower cowling, there were two rubber lined hose clamps up under the shield attaching the hoses to it. I cannot find any mention of those clamps in the manuals or in SBs. Any guidance on these. Abashedly, I also cannot remember how they were attached and don't want to bother reattaching them if they aren't required.

11 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

Mine has one clamp, just aft of the shield

Under the shield? Also, which line (inboard or outboard)? ...and thanks! It looks like this is one of those 'depends on who does it' things.

Just behind the shield, mine was around both lines, the lines were replaced and I added fire sleeve which made the clamp too small and had to step up to a larger Adel clamp and re-shape it 

Edited by RLCarter

20 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

Just behind the shield, mine was around both lines, the lines were replaced and I added fire sleeve which made the clamp too small and had to step up to a larger Adel clamp and re-shape it 

Thanks, I am getting the idea. Mine had two Adels that were gawd-awful to remove. The single one around both lines (I have the fire sleeves as well) makes much better sense. Clearly the idea is to keep the hoses under the shield and there is no specific guidance as to how to do that as far as I have found.

They are a PITA.  The clamps also prevent the lines from chafing on the cowl...so you are squeezed between the heat shield and cowl.  Can recall the quantity, but I know mine has some variation of a standard Adel clamp.  Next time I change these lines, I am seriously considering fire sleeping them.  That heat shield only protects a limited section of the lines.  That said, the sleeve will just make installation that much more difficult.

1 hour ago, takair said:

They are a PITA.

LOL. I am nearing the end of my engine mounts project, IA took a look yesterday and had a chuckle over how long it is taking. There is a short-list of everything on a Mooney that ISN'T a PITA. Oh, and here is my latest 'special Mooney tool' that let's you put the nut on the top-left bolt on the oil cooler:IMG_1410.thumb.JPG.c5f72123056943966ba4785fd2b80f43.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HRM said:

LOL. I am nearing the end of my engine mounts project, IA took a look yesterday and had a chuckle over how long it is taking. There is a short-list of everything on a Mooney that ISN'T a PITA. Oh, and here is my latest 'special Mooney tool' that let's you put the nut on the top-left bolt on the oil cooler:IMG_1410.thumb.JPG.c5f72123056943966ba4785fd2b80f43.JPG

These work as well.

http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/hapages/04-00153.php?clickkey=3008238

Clarence

On 4/1/2018 at 6:10 PM, M20Doc said:

Are those legal? The reason I ask is that a few years ago I flew to FDK for my neice's wedding. At the airport Sunday morning, getting ready to leave, I found a huge puddle of oil. Turns out the oil cooler had been fitted with nut plates, which I know are different from the clip nuts you linked to, ten years before when there was an AD that required that the cooler be removed and inspected at annual--at least that is what I surmised from my investigation. The A&P who repaired my E said that the bolts used were smaller than the bolts specified and that the oil cooler had rubbed against the cowling until it finally opened up. That was an eye opener for me as to replacing parts, something as innocuous as this takes a decade to cause a potential engine out scenario. Luckily, I think it gave up the ghost shortly before landing.

While on the subject, if the oil cooler was to blow out in the air; i.e., major leak or hose comes off, is the engine designed to keep running and just get progressively hotter?

8 hours ago, HRM said:

Are those legal? The reason I ask is that a few years ago I flew to FDK for my neice's wedding. At the airport Sunday morning, getting ready to leave, I found a huge puddle of oil. Turns out the oil cooler had been fitted with nut plates, which I know are different from the clip nuts you linked to, ten years before when there was an AD that required that the cooler be removed and inspected at annual--at least that is what I surmised from my investigation. The A&P who repaired my E said that the bolts used were smaller than the bolts specified and that the oil cooler had rubbed against the cowling until it finally opened up. That was an eye opener for me as to replacing parts, something as innocuous as this takes a decade to cause a potential engine out scenario. Luckily, I think it gave up the ghost shortly before landing.

While on the subject, if the oil cooler was to blow out in the air; i.e., major leak or hose comes off, is the engine designed to keep running and just get progressively hotter?

I don’t know why they wouldn’t be legal they are used in many application.  Many other oil coolers use an aluminum tube as a spacer between the oil cooler flanges, then a long AN3 series bolt through the entire assembly.

If a hoes comes off or the cooler ruptures, the oil will leak out fairly quickly, leading to engine failure.

Clarence

15 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I got a tiny little hole in my oil cooler once from an alternator fan that came apart. I landed 7 minutes later to see what made the noise. I had lost 4 Qts. of oil in that time.

I was sort of hoping that Lyc had put some kind of failsafe in there where enough oil would remain in the engine to get you on the ground. Would take some tricky engineering.

• Like 1