Cabin light bulbs

DonMuncy

42 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Does anyone know what size bulbs are in the interior cabin lights on our planes.

I’d rewire it to main or disable it before risking killing he battery forgetting it on (especially in daylight).

Thanks.

The reason I was asking was to figure out if I could use a lighter duty relay in the timers I build to avoid the problem 201er describes. I'm making a few for other owners. A couple of them have 24 volt systems, and 24v relays are more limited in accessibility.

2 hours ago, Rustler said:

Don--

Why not replace the 1816s with LEDs? The equivalent number is BA9S-WWHP5 at superbrightleds.com. There are 8 of them. You can get the LED in either warm or cook renditions.

As I said, I am building these for other owners, so I want to make sure they will work on their planes. I agree, it would be better to have LEDs, so I could use a smaller relay. Eight of them? I only have four.

I have 8, 4 in the rear light fixture and 4 in the front one. While each of the fixtures is capable of operation with the master off, it is usually the front one that is the culprit because of its proximity to the door. I haven't gone to the effort of figuring out how long the battery would last if one were to leave them all on overnight, but I suspect it would be a considerable period.

Could you engineer the relay small enough to fit in the fixture itself?

1 hour ago, Rustler said:

I have 8, 4 in the rear light fixture and 4 in the front one. While each of the fixtures is capable of operation with the master off, it is usually the front one that is the culprit because of its proximity to the door. I haven't gone to the effort of figuring out how long the battery would last if one were to leave them all on overnight, but I suspect it would be a considerable period.

Could you engineer the relay small enough to fit in the fixture itself?

I think the biggest problem is that you never know you did it, and you don't get back to the hangar for 5 or 6 days.

The delay timers I build are typically in a box about 1x2x3. There are some electronic components that don't take up much space. The biggest item is the relay and the second largest is a capacitor ( 3/4 in by 1/2 inch diameter.) Putting the stuff in the fixture itself would probably not work, but perhaps under the headliner adjacent to the fixture. One of the problems is that you have to supply power from the master switch, as well as the existing "always on" power. This entails running an extra wire anyway, so mounting the timer under the panel is about as easy.