252 Turbo loss - exhaust gasket failure

Bryan

16 hours ago, Bryan said:

This will become another check during my 30hr oil/filter changes.

Not that your airplane is going to fall out of the sky if you wait until 30 hours to change the oil, but everything I've seen says 25 hours for turbo charged engines. Heat is what breaks down the viscosity and considering how expensive our engines and related components are, I try not to go past 25. There was a recent thread on how engines started to "use" oil after it starts breaking down. So if you are adding because of that there isn't any savings in stretching it out another 5 hours.

• Like 2

• Bryan changed the title to 252 Turbo loss - exhaust gasket failure
14 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Not that your airplane is going to fall out of the sky if you wait until 30 hours to change the oil, but everything I've seen says 25 hours for turbo charged engines. Heat is what breaks down the viscosity and considering how expensive our engines and related components are, I try not to go past 25. There was a recent thread on how engines started to "use" oil after it starts breaking down. So if you are adding because of that there isn't any savings in stretching it out another 5 hours.

Good call, makes sense.

@Yooper Rocketman, better now?  It was not super obvious on an iPad how to change for the thread.  The only Moderation Actions I saw were "Delete".  You have to click and hold the title to change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Good call, makes sense.

@Yooper Rocketman, better now?  It was not super obvious on an iPad how to change for the thread.  The only Moderation Actions I saw were "Delete".  You have to click and hold the title to change.

Thanks!!!

Tom

4 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

AFAIK, oil "breaks down" or loses its ability to lubricate after hundreds of hours.  Our problem is water and acidity building up as a consequence of piston leakage and incomplete combustion, which make or engines more prone to corrosion than a typical car engine.  That's why our oil includes "ashless dispersant"--it's an acid neutralizer that eventually gets used up, at which point acid start building up.  Water at least can be vaporized if the engine is flown regularly

IIRC, there's a Lycoming article somewhere suggesting 50 hours or every 4 months, and if the engine is not flown regularly, to reduce those intervals even further.  If the engine does not have an oil filter, the interval should be 25 hours.  I don't remember anything about turbocharging affecting this.

3 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

IIRC, there's a Lycoming article somewhere suggesting 50 hours or every 4 months, and if the engine is not flown regularly, to reduce those intervals even further.  If the engine does not have an oil filter, the interval should be 25 hours.  I don't remember anything about turbocharging affecting this.

On the only Lycoming Factory Turbocharged airplane, the M model, all of which came with an oil filter, the Mooney Maintenance Manual says 25 hours.

5acd2bc833edf_ScreenShot2018-04-10at4_23_16PM.png.b171fd6368e8665ff65d2fd679554b47.png

lycoming oil change.pdf

• Thanks 1

I’ve been a 50 hour(well not quite, but when getting close to that) oil change owner (per Continental guidelines) but noticed my 450 hour past TBO engine’s oil consumption is really good the first half of that time but seems to ratchet up in the latter hours.  I just decided to drop the interval down to 25-30 hours now because I really think my engine is TALKING to me!

Tom

I vary depending on how often I fly the plane.  A few years ago it was 150 hours a year at least.  I changed oil every 50 hours because, among other things, if I changed every 20 or 25, I would have been changing oil almost as often as I fueled up, or at least it felt that way.  During the summer months I would have been changing oil at least every month.  I have only been flying about 50 hours a year in the last couple of years, so I change around 25 or 30 hours.  I had an IRAN done on the engine several hundred hours ago which I have mentioned here before, partly to solve persistent oil leaks and usage. About 800 hours later and my TSIO360 uses very little oil.  I can typically go from one oil change at 25 hours to the next without adding, which is pretty good.  Modern oils don’t break down in 20 hours or 50 hours. Its a matter of getting the water and acids out of the engine. 

Bryan, thanks for starting this thread, and for the follow-up pics and discussion. As a prospective new turbo Mooney buyer, I'm REAL interested in some of the pitfalls one has to be looking out for. It's threads like this that drew me to this discussion board to start with, and I plan on staying for a good while. 

• Like 1