EDM 900 and Monroy Long Range Tanks

Emmet

I would set the max fuel (the FF driven total fuel) to 100.  The fuel level sensors I would either leave at the old max fuel setting (have the five readings spread evenly throughout the old capacity) or carefully see if the sensors can actually read slightly higher and adjust accordingly. 

One of the challenges of the extended tanks...

The float maxes out before the tanks are completely full, more than the original set-up.

On the M20C, There is one float on the inboard end.

On the larger tanks, there are two floats one on each end....

If the float has been moved, a full recalibration sounds to be in order.

It may be helpful to include @Piloto in this question.  He seems to know a lot about extended tanks... :)

PP thoughts only. Not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Unfortunately not much you can do. On Monroy equipped aircraft, total fuel level  in flight is difficult to determine by the fuel level gages, once the mains have been filled above 1/2 capacity.  Given time the quantity above 1/2,  will equalize into the aux tanks. The senders only read the level in the mains.   Hence your gages will only report the volume in the mains, where In actuality, total volume is what is indicated in the mains plus the volume in the aux tanks.   You can not measure the aux level in flight.   This can only be done on the ground with a “stick”  You depend on your fuel flow meter/totalizer and maintain your tank level senders to be accurate on the bottom half of the tanks. 

This the case in my Encore.  Not sure about other Mooney models with Monroy tanks

Bill

Most plane owners with the Monroy tanks use the factory installed fuel totalizer to determine total fuel onboard. On the C, E, F, J, and K models the outboard fuel sender will remain peg to the top while the long range tanks are getting depleted. So you can not rely on the senders when having more than 85 gallons. The fuel totalizer relies on fuel flow and not fuel level in the mains, so is more accurate. Just program the totalizer for max. fuel for your plane.

José

Just tried to visualize my thoughts. The first picture is with tanks half full where I understand the fuel gauge starts to read correct.

The second one is with the outboard fuel sender (red dot)hittong the top skin. 

That looks to me that a recalibration should make it possible to get at least a descent reading up to a value of more than 72 and less than 100. Probably the 85 you mentioned Jose?

Do I overlook something?

B87BCD7A-D70D-40D4-A193-A1C7F36515CA.jpeg

5BEF9EE8-8AE7-4EF3-9293-62C4CCD1A67B.jpeg