Be aware of your surroundings

My friend sent me this text

Watched what looked like a Lancair 4P get blown off the taxiway in Sebring by a 737 sitting on another taxiway doing engine run up tests in Sebring.  No announcement on atis and nobody blocking the taxiway.  Tail went up in the air, nose went into the dirt after sliding across the pavement. Plane spun around back and forth and finally came down like this. Pilot hurt foot.  Plane totaled most likely.  Unbelievable.  

IMG_27741.jpg

• Confused 1

Wow, that's really unfortunate - and totally unnecessary. I assume an uncontrolled field and apparently no one involved with the 737 maintenance crew that was watching for traffic on the taxiway behind the jet. Although the advice to beware of what's going on around you is spot on, I'd be curious to hear whom is ultimately responsible for the damage. I can see it from both sides.  

• Like 2

Recognize how much air gets moved by certain things...

• Jet example... video of people getting blown away from a fence they were holding onto in the Carribean...

• Helicopter example... video of a Cirrus losing control near the runway...

• Wake turbulence example... Heavy planes landing in front of you that leave wake turbulence behind...  Antonov biplane...

The bigger the air mover, and the closer the air mover is in space (and in time)... the more real the danger becomes...

Better to be in communication with the airmover before taxiing behind it...

PP thoughts only,

-a-