Garmin 430 Com Needs Service

201er

15 minutes ago, 201er said:

Any idea what this means

According to the service manual it requires a replacement of the COM board, which requires opening the box and de-soldering the old and re-soldering the new. 

4 hours ago, 201er said:

Any idea what this means or what can be done that doesn’t require Garmin dealer? 

Yeah, swap it out for an Avidyne IFD440.  You can do the swap and install yourself. No Garmin dealer or avionics installer required. :lol:

• Like 1

I thought that the only repair at Garmin was a flat rate repair which will bring it up to a WAAS unit and about 3000.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

9 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Sometimes pulling the COM C/B or the NAV C/B can trigger this warning. Id try to power cycle the unit a few more times before condemning it.

Already doing this 2 flights in a row and 4 power cycles. Already reseated it just in case and nothing helps. Radio doesn't receive or transmit and just says com needs service. How serious of a problem is anyone ones guess but it sounds to be I will be out a thousand bucks no matter what?

It is usually a com power problem , when you see this , Also could be a glitch , Hold the clear button on , when you power it up , until Garmin appears on the screen , after it boots , it should say saved memory lost ,   See if that helps , if not , Bring it down , and we can slide it into one of my planes to test the radio,,....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:

It is usually a com power problem , when you see this , Also could be a glitch , Hold the clear button on , when you power it up , until Garmin appears on the screen , after it boots , it should say saved memory lost ,   See if that helps , if not , Bring it down , and we can slide it into one of my planes to test the radio,,....

Thanks! That’s the kind of info I was hoping for. Didn’t want to be the fool to send for repair if it was really just a matter of pushing some buttons. I’ll try it later today before flying back.

21 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:

Not legally

I guess it depends on who's interpreting the rules. I did the swap myself in my 252 and put the sticker in the log book that Avidyne sent with it. No AI or avionics shop has complained about it.  According to Avidyne, it's legal.

heres the FAR 43 reference

Removing and replacing self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted navigation and communication devices that employ tray-mounted connectors that connect the unit when the unit is installed into the instrument panel, (excluding automatic flight control systems, transponders, and microwave frequency distance measuring equipment (DME). The approved unit must be designed to be readily and repeatedly removed and replaced, and pertinent instructions must be provided. Prior to the unit's intended use, an operational check must be performed in accordance with the applicable sections of part 91.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jetdriven said:

heres the FAR 43 reference

Removing and replacing self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted navigation and communication devices that employ tray-mounted connectors that connect the unit when the unit is installed into the instrument panel, (excluding automatic flight control systems, transponders, and microwave frequency distance measuring equipment (DME). The approved unit must be designed to be readily and repeatedly removed and replaced, and pertinent instructions must be provided. Prior to the unit's intended use, an operational check must be performed in accordance with the applicable sections of part 91.

Don't you just hate it when someone who actually knows, pops up with the answer and proof. :)