Quick Cross Country

201er

Visiting museums in Columbus Georgia today.

Was curious why somebody would go to Columbus.

We went twice. First time was right before Thanksgiving, after our son had graduate Infantry Basic Officer Leader Course and completed Ranger Phase I. Went back for his Ranger graduation.

Neat backstory: good friend of mine was cast as one of the bronzes for the OIF part of the National Infantry Museum since he was assigned to 3ID for the walk up from Kuwait and was on Ft Benning when they needed people to cast.
  • Like 1

Mike--

You're about 20 Mooney minutes from me, if you head a little west. But I'm about 20 Boeing hours west of home, or I'd buy your lunch.

Enjoy your visit to the sunny south, and have some good BBQ for me . . . .

Edited by Hank

8 hours ago, Marauder said:

And I thought it was because he liked my prostrate joke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It is a prostate, not prostrate.  I know because mine was removed 19 years ago because of cancer. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Danb said:

Tom it seems as though your stuttering 

8 hours ago, Marauder said:

And I thought it was because he liked my prostrate

8 hours ago, Hank said:

It was good, but not that good!  :o

Yah,  my IPhone locked up while submitting and I couldn’t figure out how to delete the extra ones.  

It DOES remind me of an old George Jessel USO Show at a VA when during a music break he describes a stay at a VA while rooming with another patient that stutters.   Really hilarious.  

Tom

Did I say quick cross country? Came back in 4.5 hours with a nice tailwind at 11,500. 

A little Carson’s speed magic for optimal efficiency:

1630A47E-C04B-4CED-8033-77F398768AD4.thumb.jpeg.ca971efc4f2ef8f79d1c52117b347cc1.jpeg

Great fuel burn, fantastic nmpg:

C228063E-BDA1-4AF8-AB2F-E92FA80BCF6F.thumb.jpeg.027392937f8697a225a7fb4d5c2ab3c9.jpeg

And great ground speed both ways!

B319EED4-2CB5-43B2-83AD-959886D79B00.thumb.jpeg.dfc032f3efa731ad2a1a50d8eac73764.jpeg

Some surprising stuff. First of all I never get a tailwind both ways. Headwind both ways!? Lots of times! Tailwind both ways, doesn’t happen.

The other shocker was philly let me get a pop up IFR to descend through their bravo, on my VFR course, without sending me around to Modena!!! About as rare as a tailwind both ways! First time I’ve ever asked for a pop up and man that was easy! It was pretty much like going VFR but just with the ability to penetrate a cloud layer. Cool.

Some surprising stuff. First of all I never get a tailwind both ways. Headwind both ways!? Lots of times! Tailwind both ways, doesn’t happen.
The other shocker was philly let me get a pop up IFR to descend through their bravo, on my VFR course, without sending me around to Modena!!! About as rare as a tailwind both ways! First time I’ve ever asked for a pop up and man that was easy! It was pretty much like going VFR but just with the ability to penetrate a cloud layer. Cool.

You should buy a lottery ticket while you’re at it. No one is that lucky around Philly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, AaronDC8402 said:

Any reason you would choose to run 2400/24" one direction and 2600/20" going home? Looks like about the same fuel burn in either situation.

I didn't choose those. I chose the altitude for winds/clouds and the altitude chose the power settings. When you're up higher, you have less MP available so you can compensate to a degree with higher RPM to get the same power/FF. However, you do get slightly faster TAS up higher but the wind is the real advantage.

• Like 1