Light oil mist on front of cowl (M20J)

I use Phillips XC and will probably start using Camgaurd this winter. Ed Kolin (who I believe was a chemist for Shell Oil) posts on another board I frequent. He's assured us that Phillips base stock is as good or better than anything else available.

I don't bother with the K&N as my Ram-Air is opened by the time I'm 300 ft AGL unless it's bug season.

I switched to XC 20-50 and Camguard based on so many recommendations from web forums. Not sure if it really helps or not, but the FAA says it won't hurt, so I'll drink the Cool-Aid. I have a new interest in this thread now because my cowl now has an oil streak and misting too. At annual they changed the prop seal because I guess the had to grease it or something due to an AD I think. I really didn't want to mess with it because it wasn't leaking, but they said they had to. I may have been right. My experience with non aviation engines is that if a seal isn't leaking, don't disturb it if you can at all help it.

Quote: DaV8or

I switched to XC 20-50 and Camguard based on so many recommendations from web forums. Not sure if it really helps or not, but the FAA says it won't hurt, so I'll drink the Cool-Aid. I have a new interest in this thread now because my cowl now has an oil streak and misting too. At annual they changed the prop seal because I guess the had to grease it or something due to an AD I think. I really didn't want to mess with it because it wasn't leaking, but they said they had to. I may have been right. My experience with non aviation engines is that if a seal isn't leaking, don't disturb it if you can at all help it.

• 9 years later...
10 hours ago, carusoam said:

It’s only been a decade...   :)

-a-

I was renting PA28Rs while this conversation was going on ;)

Seriously: it might be a good idea to retorque bolts as prevention. But how do you stick in a torque wrench in such tight spots???