Rudder pedal extensions revisited

DonMuncy

Welcome aboard John.

Somewhere here are the drawings... you can take to a Machine shop...

but, That can be like building your own plane...

The Mooney factory is open for business... these parts can now be purchased through the Mooney Service Centers...

If you don’t have a favorite MSC... You can use mine... talk to Dan at Lasar... he can get you set up with all the details....

lasar.com

Best regards,

-a-

I got mine from Mooney through LASAR. A couple of fine points:

When you order the 1.5" extensions, you get a set for both pilot side pedals. When you order the 3", you have to order 2 because the kit only does one pedal.

After installing them, you may find that the angle of the pedal makes it hard not to ride the brakes. You can adjust the pedal angle by opening up the panel underneath the plane to access the master cylinders. There is a thread here somewhere with the details of the adjustment.

Skip

I bought mine from Dan at LASAR. Dan advised me when I bought them that if you're going to install extensions, install the 3" extensions.

Skip is right, it does feel like they change the angle of the brake. Although I don't know why. The extension moves the pedal straight back evenly top and bottom. I installed them myself and had my IA sign off the log.

I've never had a problem of riding the brakes.

• Like 1

At 5’5” with short legs, I had to use a booster seat to reach the pedals. The yoke was pretty much at my chest making it an awkward position. I added the 3” extensions on the pilot side (bought from Lasar) & I’m in such a better seating position & much more comfortable sitting further back. The install was pretty simple and straightforward. It did change the brake angle which I prefer but they can be adjusted a bit. 

The pedal extensions were well worth the cost & I don’t have to worry about flying around with a booster seat anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NicoN said:

Does anybody have the drawings? Some angels gave the drawings to me about a year ago. But, I cannot find the file anymore, I'm afraid

I believe they are in the download section, if you can’t find them pm me and send them to you this evening when I get home

On 8/11/2018 at 4:10 PM, flyboy0681 said:

Try being 5'4"

I have. For 60 years or so. And now I’m beginning to shrink. Have flown with no extensions, 1.5” ones, and now 3”. The three-inch ones are obviously best for me. And the articulating seats add hugely to my comfort and visibility over the glareshield and nose.

Funny thing : a recent passenger, an hour into the flight, finally said, “these Mooneys really aren’t built for somebody my size, are they?” At 6’6” and maybe 280, he was seated in such a way that his head was tilted sideways. 
I launched into a story about Al Mooney’s height, and then realized my last passenger had cranked the seat all the way up. Oops. He was much happier once he got the seat down where it needed to be for him.

• Haha 1

There are 2 different part #’s for the 3” pedal extensions...

720115-9503 3” extension w pedal

720115-503 3” extension without pedal

I imagine the pedal included with the 3” extension is the re-configured pedal to restore the original pedal angle? 

On 12/16/2020 at 3:27 AM, NicoN said:

@carusoam: The drawing shows parts and dimensions for the 3" extension.

Is there also a drawing with exact dimensions available for the 1,5" version?

I am not sure, if we simply can take over the dimensions

Interesting question... I don’t know the answer... but, let’s see if @DonMuncy might be able to supply additional detail... he probably has the most first hand knowledge of these things...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Pretty much a newbie here. Made a few posts after I bought my M20E a few weeks ago. I do thank many of you for helping me and answering my questions. Just a statement I wanted to make.

I just installed the 3" extensions and did notice the change in the angle of the pedal and the possibility of hitting the brake too soon or too hard. We'll see tomorrow. Not an engineer but looking at it if you want to change the angle why not just change where the "U" plate behind the pedal is mounted? Take the bolts off of the pedal, cut it and redrill the holes lower. That will completely change the angle of the pedal and put the pedal forward. Am I missing something

On 4/27/2021 at 9:26 PM, Dick Denennhy said:

Pretty much a newbie here. Made a few posts after I bought my M20E a few weeks ago. I do thank many of you for helping me and answering my questions. Just a statement I wanted to make.

I just installed the 3" extensions and did notice the change in the angle of the pedal and the possibility of hitting the brake too soon or too hard. We'll see tomorrow. Not an engineer but looking at it if you want to change the angle why not just change where the "U" plate behind the pedal is mounted? Take the bolts off of the pedal, cut it and redrill the holes lower. That will completely change the angle of the pedal and put the pedal forward. Am I missing something

Last week I had my MSC install the Mooney 3" peddle extensions. They did not like the angle of the peddles and called Mooney. They were told to remove the belly pan and adjust the peddles there. You might want to talk to Mooney.

My extended peddles took a few landings to get use to them. it is very easy to over-brake and lock up the tires during short field landings.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2018 at 3:38 PM, DonMuncy said:

I decided to build and install the 1 1/2 inch rudder extensions on my plane. After removing the seats and crawling down there, I discovered it already has them installed. Mooneys apparently just weren't built for people with legs as short as mine. I fly with the seat in the front holes and I'm right up next to the yoke.

In any event, does anyone have a set of the 3 inch extensions at a price that would entice me to avoid the work of building my own?

If you look at the prints there is a way to make a set that can be 1 1/2" and 3"

1 hour ago, tanakatlf said:

If you look at the prints there is a way to make a set that can be 1 1/2" and 3"

Yes, but since I wanted 3 inch ones anyway I went ahead and made them 3 inch.