Rudder pedal extensions revisited

DonMuncy

I decided to build and install the 1 1/2 inch rudder extensions on my plane. After removing the seats and crawling down there, I discovered it already has them installed. Mooneys apparently just weren't built for people with legs as short as mine. I fly with the seat in the front holes and I'm right up next to the yoke.

In any event, does anyone have a set of the 3 inch extensions at a price that would entice me to avoid the work of building my own?

I looked back in older posts and found where someone posted the drawings for the 3 inch extensions. (Thanks to those folks) My hangar elf was busy today and turned out a set. They are not all that difficult. Mine are not perfect, but it appears that none of the dimensions are critical.  You do have to make sure that the spacing for the holes are identical for both sides of the same pedal.

SAM_1860.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:12 PM, Bryan said:

@DonMuncy, I might be interested. Let me check mine to ensure that I don’t already have them installed. I would like a slight pushback from the yoke. I normally scroll back in cruise anyway as I have a yaw dampener.

Bryan,

I had another MSer tell me he would like these also. I told him you had spoken first. If you decide against them, let me know and I will send them to him.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a newly purchased set of 3” extensions and have reconsidered whether I should have purchased the 1.5” instead. So I may be interested in swapping the 3” for 1.5” or possibly selling outright the 3”, but not sure.

My concern is I may add a partner to my plane and fear he might be too tall and hesitant to install the 3” extensions until I know better.  If it were just me flying I wouldn’t hesitate to install the 3” ones.

• 3 months later...

The drawings are good to produce the parts but the pedal supplied in the kit is different from the stock pedal.  It is from the same casting but the rear hole location is slightly lower (see photos).  You'd have to redrilled a lower hole or shorten the c-channel link.  Otherwise when put together on the stick pedal the angle of the brake would be closer making it easier to accidentally apply pressure to brakes when you want to be off the brakes.

Brian20180811_003107.thumb.jpg.866cc7dbcf8dd4859fea963193c4b193.jpg

20180811_003357.jpg

20180811_003208.jpg

I have seen your hangar Don and apparently, your hangar elf is not only industrious, but also has been busy over the last few years.

i have yet to fly my new to me F.  It might be that I will need the extensions.  I hope to try her on for size this week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MBDiagMan said:

i have yet to fly my new to me F.  It might be that I will need the extensions.  I hope to try her on for size this week.

If you didn't need extensions in your C, you won't need them in your F. The airframe differences start behind the front seat; the engjne differences are all forward of the firewall. Other than that, the only difference is what is installed in the panel, and you brought major parts of that from your C.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just installed the 3” this week and I’m mildly concerned about the angle change and inadvertently hitting the brakes. It’ll probably be fine once I get used to them, but what I noticed is that it looks to me like you could attach the vertical brace and lower holes to the pedal and mount the pedal on the upper holes and have the same angle as before. I think the plans are messed up. I’m not sure the vertical brace will clear the attachment bolts to the pedal though, but when I noticed the pedals line up better to the other holes, and had to verify on the diagram twice to make sure I did it right, because it seems wrong to me. 

It looks like the hole alignment brings the pedals straight back 3", keeping the same alignment as before. That's how I installed mine. I will say though, the extensions do give you more leverage when pressing the brakes. So you might want to be careful until you get used to them.

I wouldn't want to fly without them. 

8 minutes ago, John Mininger said:

It looks like the hole alignment brings the pedals straight back 3", keeping the same alignment as before. That's how I installed mine. I will say though, the extensions do give you more leverage when pressing the brakes. So you might want to be careful until you get used to them.

I wouldn't want to fly without them. 

Mine currently installed as per the mooney diagram are definitely not aligned the same. 

Compare in the pic of mine with one extension installed. Look at the angle of the bottom of the pedal, it’s clearly angled down more than the original. 

51D58C13-2EB3-4942-8B32-6953B174C710.jpeg