Mooney M20 versus Bonanza 35J Annuals

stormflyer

Trying to do a comparison of a typical "normal" (if that even exist in our world) cost of an annual on a M20E or more recent M20.

If you care to share the cost of your last couple of annuals, I have my spreadsheet running.  If major work was done beyond the normal during the annual, new Garmin 430W installed, etc, it will skew the results.

A good friend tells me that a Bonanza annual will run 2 to 3 times more than a Mooney.  I find that hard to believe.

Look forward to replies.

My M20E annuals ranged from $900 for owner assisted to $1800 for shop done.

My E33A annuals have been based at $1900 the last two I've done by my shop (this would be very similar to any V-tail).  I haven't done an owner assisted annual yet on the Bonanza, so no comparison there.

These are not including any additional costs, just the inspection, oil change, lubrication, gear swing, etc.  Most shops have flat rates, so you could also call around and ask.

I have not found anything outlandish price wise for Beech parts vs Mooney parts, although each does have there own set of "WTF" moments. 

Buy the best example you can (whatever make you go after).  Well taken care of birds sell quickly and for good reason.  The dogs that will eat your wallet, house, and car usually sit on the sale sites for a long time.  You may pay a small premium for a solid bird, but the return is huge. 

Bottom line though, you're friend is wrong.  ;) 

Cheers,

Brian

Well, from a few decades working on both planes for clients, I'll say that a Bonanza has many more hard to access areas than a Mooney. On a Mooney, only the back of the engine can be difficult. On a Bonanza, virtually everything requiring routine maintenance is difficult to access. Getting behind the panel is especially hard. The fuel bladders were designed by a sadistic engineer. Plus you have a Leaking Continental engine to deal with. They eat cylinders, starter adapters, camshafts, and when they do run, they leak oil. But your mechanic will much prefer that you own the Bonanza...  

Edited by philiplane