I'm just going to upgrade the transponder........

I am guessing you all know where this is headed......  My plan was to replace the KT76a with a Stratus ESGi since I didn't have any WAAS position source installed.

5abe619f51e50_63zpanel.thumb.jpg.92c4a32b040a2112f3a27590e7e089c3.jpg

Between the Superbowl Traffic/TFR's and the wonderful winter weather in Minnesota I scheduled the upgrade for the first week of February.  The plan was to remove the KLN89b and install the new Stratus in it's place.  I also figured it was a good time to remove the ADF.  That would leave the center stack free for a future upgrades.  What I didn't realize was how much work was required just to pull the those three radios and run new Coax for the WAAS antenna

IMG_4655.thumb.jpg.513514d722682ce26fd4a770e01d8317.jpg

sorry for the upside down image, no matter what I did the the photo MooneySpace rotated it upside down (note to admin, please fix or add rotate controls)

Rather than pay to put the panel back together now and redo it again in a year I bit the bullet and replaced almost everything.  Avidyne AMX-240 Audio panel, IFD-550 and IFD-440 navigators, and the Stratus ESGi ADSB transponder.  Good measure I installed a used Insight engine monitor too.

100_2379.thumb.JPG.4d14ca5409f46c7f1ee4fb8e7b5025db.JPG

In a major case of "while your in there" I also had the attitude gryo overhauled and the vacuum hoses replaced, carpets were ordered from SCS Interiors, and I ordered the DIY interior repair kit from Bruce Jaeger to spruce up the interior plastics.   

I may be broke now, but it is an amazing transformation.  I can't wait to fly to SUN-N-FUN and actually file /G.  I didn't realize how bad the old KX-170b's were getting until I was able to pickup up ATIS 60+ miles out.  

• Like 11

I am guessing you all know where this is headed......  My plan was to replace the KT76a with a Stratus ESGi since I didn't have any WAAS position source installed.
5abe619f51e50_63zpanel.thumb.jpg.92c4a32b040a2112f3a27590e7e089c3.jpg
Between the Superbowl Traffic/TFR's and the wonderful winter weather in Minnesota I scheduled the upgrade for the first week of February.  The plan was to remove the KLN89b and install the new Stratus in it's place.  I also figured it was a good time to remove the ADF.  That would leave the center stack free for a future upgrades.  What I didn't realize was how much work was required just to pull the those three radios and run new Coax for the WAAS antenna
IMG_4655.thumb.jpg.513514d722682ce26fd4a770e01d8317.jpg
sorry for the upside down image, no matter what I did the the photo MooneySpace rotated it upside down (note to admin, please fix or add rotate controls)
Rather than pay to put the panel back together now and redo it again in a year I bit the bullet and replaced almost everything.  Avidyne AMX-240 Audio panel, IFD-550 and IFD-440 navigators, and the Stratus ESGi ADSB transponder.  Good measure I installed a used Insight engine monitor too.

100_2379.thumb.JPG.4d14ca5409f46c7f1ee4fb8e7b5025db.JPG
In a major case of "while your in there" I also had the attitude gryo overhauled and the vacuum hoses replaced, carpets were ordered from SCS Interiors, and I ordered the DIY interior repair kit from Bruce Jaeger to spruce up the interior plastics.   
I may be broke now, but it is an amazing transformation.  I can't wait to fly to SUN-N-FUN and actually file /G.  I didn't realize how bad the old KX-170b's were getting until I was able to pickup up ATIS 60+ miles out.  

Yeah, it’s easy to end up addicted to upgrades. It is amazing how much wiring is involved and the time it takes.

6f08aa62f32582ae9e5ddd03ba9c226d.jpg

feaed3e699ec145266da9a3605501f53.jpg

Not counting the CiES fuel sender or Jaeger interior projects from last Fall, I am finally out of upgrade mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I wish I could say the same, but I will likely be revisiting the panel for an replacement Autopilot and some form of glass upgrade in the coming years.  I'm hoping that with all the new announcements from Dynon, Aspen and even Garmin, it will be a race to the bottom for glass retrofits and autopilots.

I wish I could say the same, but I will likely be revisiting the panel for an replacement Autopilot and some form of glass upgrade in the coming years.  I'm hoping that with all the new announcements from Dynon, Aspen and even Garmin, it will be a race to the bottom for glass retrofits and autopilots.

I never said you were done. Looks like you are in avionics respite (aka short of funds for the moment). You’ll be back at some point with the rest of the story. Those of us who have your condition, know it all too well.
  • Like 1

It's pretty!  It might not be the 170b's that were old, but the antenna cabling that needed some love.  My second comm, which is an old King, receives better under adverse conditions than the radio in my nifty 430AW, the "A" part being the extra 3 grand for a 16 Watt transmitter.  Lotta good it did.  

20 hours ago, lotsofgadgets said:

I may be broke now, but it is an amazing transformation.  I can't wait to fly to SUN-N-FUN and actually file /G.

Since you are now broke, I’ll buy you lunch for a ride behind that panel. I have flown behind everything there except the audio panel, I’m considering going all Avidyne and would like check out the 240.  Maybe after you get back from SNF? 

Don’t let @Marauder compare his “upgrade condition” to any one else.  He is on a quest to gain useful load to help aid in his other interests.:D

cheers,

Dan

• Like 1