1970 Mooney M20E Chaparral, N9379V, s/n 700015

mikehaag1

Bought a 1970 M20E project with just under 2000 hours on the airframe.  Not going to be able to finish it, needs good home.  

Built a wing and fuselage stand to easily move it around.  Have everything except motor and instruments.  I do also have a M20J cowl for this project, also have both the old aluminum one.  Only damage is from a tear around an access panel from previous transport.

Am located at KLHM (NE of Sacramento).  I do have someone that will deliver it; happy to connect buyer with transport services.

Would like $7500.00

Cheers,
Mike Haag
(916) 765-3410
mike@haagfamily.com

mooney-m20e-left-side.jpg

mooney-m20e-right-side.jpg

wing-whole.jpg

wing-tears.jpg

tail.jpg

seats-01.jpg

inside-bulkhead.jpg

instrument.jpg

• Like 1

Hey there, my sick big brother! We rolled down the assembly line close together, you just got the stronger engine and cleaner cowl. Here's hoping someone brings you back to flight!! I'm only 60 numbers younger . . . .

this may be the stripped hulk i saw in an add, on the wing and wheels, in the same area 2 years ago,,,  i doesnt look any more viable now than it did then...   price then,,,3500$

dont know what this guy paid for this,,,

a guy would likely need to get this scrap hulk for free in order to make a flying mooney for a reasonable amount of money...

5 hours ago, mpg said:

this may be the stripped hulk i saw in an add, on the wing and wheels, in the same area 2 years ago,,,  i doesnt look any more viable now than it did then...   price then,,,3500$

dont know what this guy paid for this,,,

a guy would likely need to get this scrap hulk for free in order to make a flying mooney for a reasonable amount of money...

Well, the wings alone are worth what he is asking IF they are corrosion and damage free. The tear is a bummer, but I'm assuming could be patched, or I suppose a new skin at that section. It also means he would have to find somebody who needs them. The J cowl is valuable too if it is complete and in good condition. The rest... probably not so much. I guess people always need ailerons and elevators.

looks like the wing has a bump in the leading edge along with the rip.  makes the wing almost cost more to repair than its value.  Wingtips look ok and they are sell able.  Mooney wingtips start at the second skin outboard from the fuselage.  Not possible to fix and fly unless you want to invest the cost of an Eagle.   Owner didn't say if the balance is there.  Flaps and ailerons sell if good.  Tail not so much.   

37 minutes ago, acpartswhse said:

looks like the wing has a bump in the leading edge along with the rip.  makes the wing almost cost more to repair than its value.  Wingtips look ok and they are sell able.  Mooney wingtips start at the second skin outboard from the fuselage.  Not possible to fix and fly unless you want to invest the cost of an Eagle.   Owner didn't say if the balance is there.  Flaps and ailerons sell if good.  Tail not so much.   

Oh yeah, I didn't look close enough and missed that leading edge dent. That does pretty much kill the deal. Part out what you can and then get out the Sawsall and take the rest in for scrap metal. Sadly, I don't see a viable project even if it were free.

It's just sheet metal...as long as the inside isn't corroded it is still quite viable to the right buyer wanting a project. I wouldn't sweat a skin replacement nearly as much as spar repair!

Someone on an A&P track should buy this one...

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Assuming the buyer is an A&P... and doesn't place any value on his time... this might be worth picking up and hauling off for free. 

There are six E's on Controller right now that could be had for less than it will cost to put this one back together. 

3 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

True, but people build home builts all of the time that are worth less than they have into them when they are complete.  I think this will be a great starting point for someone who wants to build a Mooney from the ground up.  Recognizing, of course, that it will be a money loser from the beginning. 

Completely agree... But building a home built doesn't have nearly the constraints that this build would. First, the builder would really have to be an A&P. Also parts will be significantly more expensive as all have to be TSO'd, PMA'd, STC'd, etc. 

One could just as easily buy the E on Controller for $30K, rebuild it from the ground up and be a lot less upside down when finished. 

This one just has too much damage.

There are people that build planes... because that is where their interest is.

There are people that part out planes... because they have the time and ability to identify and keep all the small parts ready for sale...

There are MSCs... Big shops that keep a project or two alive for work leveling at the shop....

There are mechanics that also use the work leveling technique, or weekend time, or after hours time...

Then there are pilots... more interested in flying and maintaining the plane they have...

Finding the right owner for this project may take looking in many places...

An M20E makes a great retirement plane, forever.....

Best regards,

-a-

• 3 months later...

Is it just me, or are some of the comments above a bit disrespectful?  I thought it was bad taste to criticize asking price?  Or make comments about what you think you saw it sell before for?

For the right person, this is a deal.  There are guys out there looking for projects, others looking for a wing, someone looking for a cowl etc.  If its not for you, or you think it will cost too much to restore, just keep quiet and move on.

I bought a C150 'project' with a new taildragger kit in far 'worse' condition - look at it now.   It made as much financial sense as buying a $5 coffee, but its been a lot of fun.

Aerodon

IMG_5915.JPG

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Aerodon said:

Is it just me, or are some of the comments above a bit disrespectful?  I thought it was bad taste to criticize asking price?  Or make comments about what you think you saw it sell before for?

For the right person, this is a deal.  There are guys out there looking for projects, others looking for a wing, someone looking for a cowl etc.  If its not for you, or you think it will cost too much to restore, just keep quiet and move on.

I bought a C150 'project' with a new taildragger kit in far 'worse' condition - look at it now.   It made as much financial sense as buying a $5 coffee, but its been a lot of fun.

You own multiple airplanes and obviously know what you're getting into. The people we are warning, and I'll continue to warn, are those who are buying a plane for the first time. They are typically thinking of a barn find car that they can pull in the garage and fix it up while having fun with it. Airplanes don't work that way. I've got a list of ten different members on this forum who have very sad stories to tell of trying to get into a Mooney cheap, thinking they'd scored a "deal" or that sweat equity would get them the airplane they couldn't afford. It almost never works out and just causes a lot of heartache and trouble. 

Post on a public forum, and get public responses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It amazes me when some people want only one side of a conversation.

I strongly agree with Paul and couldn't have said it more clearly myself. The comments aren't harsh at all... its simply the reality.

Airplanes aren't like cars. You don't come out ahead by "bringing them back"... as much as I would like that to be that case.

It is the very sad reality that there is no financial motivation to take on a project like this. That said I commend the seller for his efforts and hope he sees his price from an apprpropriately skilled buyer.

Our machines are unique, and aren’t being made anymore by anyone. Once they’re gone they’re gone forever.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, David_H said:

It amazes me when some people want only one side of a conversation.

I strongly agree with Paul and couldn't have said it more clearly myself. The comments aren't harsh at all... its simply the reality.

Airplanes aren't like cars. You don't come out ahead by "bringing them back"... as much as I would like that to be that case.

David,

I went back and read the rules about 'stomping' on other peoples listings on Beechtalk.  Basically any negative comments on condition or pricing which may negatively impact someone else advert are not allowed in the Classified section.  Neither are positive comments allowed.  So its not really one sided although it might appear so.  But post a thread on one of the other sections its free game.

I realize that this is not Beechtalk, so I won't take offence on these comments on Mooneyspace.  Neither does Mike by the way, so all is good.

Paul, 

Appreciate the concern for others, but your warning applies to the purchase of pretty decent airworthy airplanes too.  Just about any airplane purchase will result in catching up with maintenance, some upgrades, some things that will break just because the plane is pressed back into regular service, etc.  Its dead easy to buy a plane for $50k and then need another $30k over the next two years.

But this is a different subject, should be in a different forum IMO.

Don

• Like 1