Planning A Long Cross-country Trip

milotron

Hi folks,

I know that there is a lot of information here already, and that many of the MSers do long trips regularly, so I am looking for some general advice:

I am planning on a Canadian cross-country trip in the summer from Victoria to Halifax and back. It will likely be 3-4 5 hour legs each way, pending winds.

Any advice on planning, things to bring, things that you have found strangely useful or any other pithy words of wisdom?

I have reasonable mechanical confidence in my M20K as it has done this trip before, but most of my recent flying hast been limited to 2-4 hour out and back legs for work destinations.

What say you?

Long trips are just a series of short trips. Plan each leg the same way you do now, but with 5 hour legs you need to pay closer attention to weather and divert locations. 

Often the FBO where you land can get a great deal on a hotel for the night, too. 

Have a great trip!

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

When I think of this route the first thing that comes to mind is an article written awhile back with a Lancair 350 doing the trip nonstop with favorable winds. I’ve wanted to do a similar iron butt trip since. 

Interesting. Is that posted here?  I know a local pilot who has done Victoria to Toronto, east bound only, in his columbia in one go.

I just put the end points into ForeFlight, select the 100LL fuel prices and find stops at about 3-4 hour intervals..  4 legs eastbound, 5 westbound.   

Pack some sandwiches, snacks, water and a couple of quarts of oil.  O2?  Take advantage of that eastbound tailwind, but you lose three hours of daylight. 

I have yet to have a problem with 24hour self service fuel at randomly chosen strips.   I will do 5 hour legs if alone, but when flying with my wife she prefers  3 hours, and can be stretched to 4 if we are on the last legs home.   Denver -> NJ is two four hour legs, so that saves the 2nd fuel stop if she will stretch. 

I've picked a random area in Iowa that was about the right distance, and a rural airport was having a air show the next morning.   The Super8 was walking distance, but they also had a courtesy car and would tell you where they key was kept. 

Does your flight include some significant wild terrain?

I recall people discussing what they bring along that included protection from the local wild life.... tents, sleeping bags, food, water, Gatorade bottle, Ziplocs, pee tube, Bear shooter....

1) The more prepared you are, the less you will ever need it.

2) The less prepared you are, the more (surprised, angry, disappointed, cold, lonely, hungry....)

Many people start a thread regarding their Long-countries....  posting charts with planned stops is pretty helpful...

Best regards,

-a-

There's the stuff you'll need, the stuff that makes you comfortable, and the stuff you hope you won't need.

Stuff you need - a couple of quarts of oil and a roll of paper towels. I also like to have window cleaner. And if you have ANC head sets, bring some batteries.

Stuff for comfort - a few bottles of water, some snacks, entertainment.

Stuff you hope not to need - zip ties, a roll of electrical tape, a few tools.

All that and a credit card and you should be good.

We plan to make a quick run from Austin, TX to Churchill, Manitoba and back right before Oshkosh this year. 

It's not that difficult - Plan flight, put fuel in tanks, fly plan... & repeat

Route considerations: Customs, permits, winds, terrain, handling and FUEL. Oil changes, checks

Fuel/Oil/Oxygen/TKS: Where, quantities, delivery, hours (days) of availability.

Safety/Emergency equipment: ELT, portable radio, Lifejackets, liferaft, Warmth (space blanket, sleeping bag), shark repellent, food, water. A significant money reserve (or access to it) would be prudent (what are you going to do if your aircraft goes tech when away? Or the pilot/pax goes sufficiently sick to not be able to fly)

"Personal control": use a regime that works for you, and be wary of trying something new. If you always have 10 cups of coffee first thing in the morning and a pee an hour later, plan with that and stick with it. Maybe consider avoiding the local tummy-rumbler speciality on arrival if you plan on flying again next day.

Other useful stuff: Check electronic chart subs/apps that they actually *do have* the charts you expect to need, don't just assume they are in the coverage you bought. Copies of paperwork (CofA, CofR, licences, medicals etc) that you can leave with zealous officials. Copies of Maintenance manual and parts catalog. If you have hisk-risk, high impact failure items that ground you (eg TIT probe), consider taking a spare particularly if they are not so quick to get hold of. Any special tools you have for your airframe. Consider what you will do if you have no internet connection!

eg Outbound , got there and return

and most important - Have Fun :D

Edited by Awful_Charlie
Fix return link

In addition I keep a small pack with basic survival gear and always pack as if we will spend a night outdoors (more pertinent for the winter months).  Contents:

- knife

- cord

- fire starting materials / signal mirror 

- shelter (tarpaulin and space blankets)

- first aid kit

- water purification 

- PLB

-YMMV

All fits in what’s essentially a kids size backpack and is about 8 lbs. 

• Like 1

Nothing real special required (except a lot of money if your planning to do it though Canada), I did the trip a couple of years ago from Calgary to Halifax.  My route was Calgary to Duluth, Duluth to Ottawa, Ottawa to Halifax.  Ottawa International was outrageous, Halifax was fine.  Do you have a route planned, Im doing it again this summer as well?

I was planning on Victoria - swift current - thunder bay - north bay - Halifax, but may change to shorter legs. I am taking my 12 year old son with me. I was hoping that the old NORAD underground base in North Bay was still doing tours, but it doesn't look like it any more. We are going to go for a tour of Oak Island while there. He is big into that right now.

I was trying to stay in Canada to avoid customs and the associated planning for that. Aside from a somewhat more direct route, are there any other advantages?  I am planning this for later July so weather 'shouldn't' be an issue aside from lightning and tornadoes... ;)

Thanks for all the tips. Sadly, I over plan for even short trips around here as we are surrounded by inhospitable terrain. Even car trips have emergency food/water/stuff for trips to or through wilder areas. I always have survival kit(s) and life jackets in the plane. I think the comfort/entertainment portion will be the important bit.

• Like 2

I'd fly through the US if you can.  The fuel is much much less expensive, especially for such  long trip.

One note for Canadians using self serve in the US:  US postal codes are 5 digits.  Ours are letter digit times 3 eg. A1B2C3.  When a US self serve pump asks for a postal code, use the 3 digits from our postal code and 2 zeroes.  eg. 12300.   Usually works at gas stations also if you're stuck with driving.

However, it didn't work last week in one of our favourite stops in Knoxville (KDKX).  Don't get a tank too close to empty unless there's also full serve or someone there that can punch in the charge at a regular credit card terminal.

When I am planning for a trip I start watching the weather on the National Weather Service website a couple of weeks out. As the departure date approaches, I’ll also start looking at AWOS weather data as well. Generally speaking, I will time my departure to take advantage of favorable VFR weather conditions and adjust my schedule around the weather.

While I do carry water with me, I won’t touch it for the first two hours or so. Then I will take small sips to maximize my “endurance” and ensure that I don’t create the need for an unplanned stop.

I also like to do an oil and filter change before a lengthy trip. It gives me an opportunity for a good look under the cowling before I head off. The engine always seems to run nicer with fresh oil in it.

Pack a small container with window cleaner, rags, an extra quart of oil and spout. Phillips oil provides a handy spout with each case.  I’ll keep one on hand during trips. Also have tie down ropes and rings. Haven’t had to use the rings yet, other than at Oshkosh, but the ropes have been used many times.

For me the trips have been memorable. No sooner do I complete one then I started looking forward to the next one. You have the advantage of having a fast, efficient airplane. I’ve done most of mine in a 172. 

Have fun!

Don't rush things.  It's easy trying to "get there" but really you're flying for fun.  Take the extra time to plan things out that are enjoyable and challenging to fly.   Don't half ass any flight planning.     CYYN is not the best pit stop in my opinion.    Enjoy yourself! 

17 minutes ago, Marek7 said:

Don't rush things.  It's easy trying to "get there" but really you're flying for fun.  Take the extra time to plan things out that are enjoyable and challenging to fly.   Don't half ass any flight planning.     CYYN is not the best pit stop in my opinion.    Enjoy yourself! 

Thanks Marek, I check your comments on Swift Current.  I was also thinking of going into Sprinkbank and cutting that first leg into two. The first leg is 11,000 ft or more to clear the rocks, everything else is much lower.

I really appreciate all the advice from everyone. I am really am looking forward to this trip for sure!

I am going to jump in here as I need some input of a trip this month.  I have the month off, starting a new job on May 1.  

I am looking for input of some memorable places to visit in the US (or perhaps Canada).  I will be alone. The choices are to:

1) Perhaps go to Sun N Fun, then maybe head west (but that would not be until the 12th so I would loose a week of prime time.

I have from April 8th until close to the end of the month off.

2) or scratch that and just head SW and take the southern rout to the west coast.

I have not flown the west coast since I learned to fly in the 80's.   

Looking for memorable destinations or stops.  Grand Canyon, Yosemite?   My trip is an open book, unplanned as of yet, and determined by time available and weather. 

If I get out to the west coast, I might go up the coast stopping in San Francisco area and Portland, OR.

What is the northern route like back home from Oregon?  I looks like if you get far enough north the tallest mountains are about 9,000ft. 

I would also need one service stop, probably LASAR or Top Gun?  Any other choices?

Input appreciated.

John Breda

Will you traveling alone, or do you have a SIC?

Bring a tent, and some warm clothes... SnF is great, but can be cold...

A visit to Lasar sounds pretty good too.  Dan in their parts area has been very helpful for us...

We have some good service groups that have been quite supportive, around the country.

What’s/where’s the new job?

Best regards,

-a-

We did a trip from Austin > Flagstaff > Santa Barbara > Napa > Roseburg > Seattle > Coeur de Lane > Kalispel > West Yellowstone > Omaha > Austin. That was in a heavily loaded M20C. There weren't any mountains we couldn't handle.

April might not be the best time of year for the PacNW. 

New job is in Providence, RI.  35-40 minutes drive.  

The practice of medicine in Boston has become unbearable with all the corporate entities involved, quest for power, greed and lack of caring.  I found a 25 year old private practice to join where I can deal with good people face to face rather than unsavory people I have never met.  Hopefully it will be a new way of life. 

John Breda

• Like 1

Heard a very similar discussion at Easter dinner today.  Healthcare professionals discussing similar challenges. Hospitals being merged and insurance companies being a strong economic driving force...

Good luck with your next steps... :)

Now, back to flight planning!

Best regards,

-a-

Going the thunder bay - north bay does take you over some isolated areas that why I us the Duluth route and then go under Superior.  My borther actaully lives in North Bay and works for Ratheon for NORAD.  Never flown in there though, but it does look like a nice airport.  Looks like we might be heading that direction around the same time.