Spring loaded button close to left wing root

During preflight I noticed there was a small button popped near the left wing root leading edge. I tried pressing it in and it is spring loaded back. Does anyone know the purpose for this button? I just don't remember noticing it before. b84c3691081ce3fae27c95fa50b56ab1.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Pitot drain. Somebody’s transition training was lacking. Or maybe they forgot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never got a transition training. Just logged 5 hours of burning holes in the sky. Had to learn everything on my own by reading the manuals and asking this amazing mooniac community ;)

• Like 2

As noted above, its the pitot drain.  Checking it is part of the pre-flight at least in the Ovation manual.  
Not on my Ranger POH. I'll make sure to pencil that one in from now on. Thanks for the info. 42fdb4123e49dfad115f602fe28a0257.jpg

Where are you located @isaacpr7? Maybe a fly out can be arranged, and have some direct interaction with other Mooney pilots / instructors. I highly recommend the MAPA PPP series, which taught me to fly my Mooney correctly a month after I learned to fly it at all.

www.mooneypilots.com should have a link. It is hosted several times a year in different locations around the country. Some of their instructors hang out here . . . .

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hank said:

Where are you located @isaacpr7? Maybe a fly out can be arranged, and have some direct interaction with other Mooney pilots / instructors. I highly recommend the MAPA PPP series, which taught me to fly my Mooney correctly a month after I learned to fly it at all.

www.mooneypilots.com should have a link. It is hosted several times a year in different locations around the country. Some of their instructors hang out here . . . .

Indeed, the next one is in my area, the Southwest at Henderson Las Vegas on April 13-15th. I'll be there instructing.

Edited by kortopates

Where are you located [mention=11848]isaacpr7[/mention]? Maybe a fly out can be arranged, and have some direct interaction with other Mooney pilots / instructors. I highly recommend the MAPA PPP series, which taught me to fly my Mooney correctly a month after I learned to fly it at all.

Hank, I’ve been on this page for years. I’m sure you’ve come across some of my projects on my Mooney. I think the best experience of owning a Mooney has been the amazing and helpful folks I’ve met through this page. The have always been willing to help. I have flown my steed for 7 years without issues and an amazing flying machine such as the Mooney doesn’t require a degree. If you want something challenging, try helicopters. Not targeting anyone in particular but I’ve stopped visiting this page for awhile because I noticed it sadly became a heckling arena where only a few have ruined the experience for me. I have spoken to several other Mooney pilots in my current and last duty station and they feel the same. I might be the only one to publicly admit it but it’s a shame how a few can ruin it for the rest. Hopefully these Mooney gods will bring peace into this realm once again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You guys must be flying the more modern M20Cs...

The 65C had neither the static or pitot system drains.  Just a dead leg/collector in the tail for the static system...

Isaac, Thanks for sharing your comments.   Like fine wine, MS has mellowed a bit with time.... :)

Best regards,

-a-

26 minutes ago, isaacpr7 said:

Hank, I’ve been on this page for years. I’m sure you’ve come across some of my projects on my Mooney. I think the best experience of owning a Mooney has been the amazing and helpful folks I’ve met through this page. The have always been willing to help. I have flown my steed for 7 years without issues and an amazing flying machine such as the Mooney doesn’t require a degree. If you want something challenging, try helicopters. Not targeting anyone in particular but I’ve stopped visiting this page for awhile because I noticed it sadly became a heckling arena where only a few have ruined the experience for me. I have spoken to several other Mooney pilots in my current and last duty station and they feel the same. I might be the only one to publicly admit it but it’s a shame how a few can ruin it for the rest. Hopefully these Mooney gods will bring peace into this realm once again.

Glad you've found help and good people. I have probably seen your posts, but have zero recollection of where you are based (if I ever knew). Flying any airplane doesn't require a degree, but training is always beneficial. I'm just surprised that a multi-year owner doesn't know what the static drain button is, and despite this missing knowledge is proud to never have received any model-specific training (where it would have been covered on the very first preflight inspection).

On the other hand, I applaud your asking about unfamiliar things, it's a great way to learn.

See you 'round the pattern somewhere, if we're in the same part of the world at the same time.

There's a lot less badgering here than I've seen on other aviation sites, although some people do get things hung in their craw from time to time. We all do, it's part of being human; some deal with it better than others. 

• Like 3

I wonder what happened to you! Yeah, there are a few that seem to find joy in being argumentative or contentious. And I thought your departure was because of my postings of ladies.

BTW- I find the ignore button helps.

How are the fuel tanks holding up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wonder what happened to you! Yeah, there are a few that seem to find joy in being argumentative or contentious. And I thought your departure was because of my postings of ladies.

BTW- I find the ignore button helps.

How are the fuel tanks holding up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The tank reseal is holding up like a champ my friend. Never got around to doing the left one because I decided to fly her more this year rather than being a picky OCD owner ;) I've been flying close to 10 hours a week lately. God I love that Mooney!!!! I'm super sad to let her go. Her new owner will be picking her up soon and every time I fly her I regret it a little more. I'm only letting her go because I'm about to retire so that I can enjoy some family time after 20 years in the Army. Taking a huge pay cut wasn't an easy decision but I'm ready to enjoy the family not that I'm getting old. Lol! Besides, the pay cut will only be for a few years and I'll be back on track. I'll be able to buy another Mooney then. Maybe a J model this time ;) Thank you for being one of the most amazing people who made owning a Mooney a great experience bud ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Maybe, but hopefully never in a mean way while always encouraging Mooney specific training. But also spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough.  Snarky, by definition is never mean, just Snarky.  Poster didn’t come to be judged.  He came for information.  Snarkiness was the price as nothing in life is “free”.

• Like 1