Aspen / Autopilot issues

BaldEagle

58 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

The EA100 should be on its own circuit breaker. If it goes out in flight pull the breaker and reset it and see if it comes back.

I am hoping that the GPS aided AHRS in the new MAX will give the EA-100 better information to process for the autopilot and take care of this problem.

Sounds like what I have to hope for is that the G5 gets the ability to drive legacy autopilots like my Century 2000 by the time I have to decide on HSI and AI replacement.

I have experienced similar problems with the AHRS light coming on and autopilot going off. We have replaced the EA100 and the the cable connectors. That seemed to help for a while, but the problem is back again. I have a KFC 200 autopilot. Mike Studley said we should replace the Ethernet cable. I resolve the problem by holding the REV button for a hard shutoff, then turn off the switch. I wait 30-60 seconds and then turn the switch back on. It goes through the start up and then works fine. It’s like doing a hard shutdown on an iPad. I have a dual Aspen setup so when failure occurs I push the REV button on the MFD so I can keep all my information while I shut down the PFD. Has anyone replaced the Ethernet cable?  

I have experienced similar problems with the AHRS light coming on and autopilot going off. We have replaced the EA100 and the the cable connectors. That seemed to help for a while, but the problem is back again. I have a KFC 200 autopilot. Mike Studley said we should replace the Ethernet cable. I resolve the problem by holding the REV button for a hard shutoff, then turn off the switch. I wait 30-60 seconds and then turn the switch back on. It goes through the start up and then works fine. It’s like doing a hard shutdown on an iPad. I have a dual Aspen setup so when failure occurs I push the REV button on the MFD so I can keep all my information while I shut down the PFD. Has anyone replaced the Ethernet cable?  

Curious if you have tried just re-booting the EA100?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, m20kmooney said:

Not going to happen with the G5 unfortunately!

Heard rumors right here on MS that it might be in the works and was going to be announced at SnF but got pushed to Osh because the G3X announcement happened.

It can't be technically complex, and it will strategically knock out Aspen.   Either way, I'm forced to wait it out due to install schedules.

1 hour ago, pwnel said:

Heard rumors right here on MS that it might be in the works and was going to be announced at SnF but got pushed to Osh because the G3X announcement happened.

It can't be technically complex, and it will strategically knock out Aspen.   Either way, I'm forced to wait it out due to install schedules.

Aspen is on its last legs as it is but that would certainly deliver the coup de grace. It’d do the same for the BK KI300/KA310. The Aspen EA100 is plagued with some problems which doesn’t bode well for the BK KA310 which looks like it’s a rebranded EA100. Also it's telling that the G3X touch does not do anything for legacy autopilots. That and the G5 are very similar. 

Edited by m20kmooney

So, in general, I’m asking mainly out of curiosity and from a functionality perspective, why so many owners gravitate to the Aspen/EA100 combination rather than the G500/500txi GAD43/43e setup.  I rarely see or hear from anyone having issues with the latter,; so, although I’m not looking to start an argument, am still trying to understand folks’ motivations to install the former.

Steve

• Like 2

14 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

So, in general, I’m asking mainly out of curiosity and from a functionality perspective, why so many owners gravitate to the Aspen/EA100 combination rather than the G500/500txi GAD43/43e setup.  I rarely see or hear from anyone having issues with the latter,; so, although I’m not looking to start an argument, am still trying to understand folks’ motivations to install the former.

Steve

I've answered that question more than a few times on this forum.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Steve

If I was a buyer today I would not consider an Aspen equipped plane based on these and other issues. Unless from a valuation perspective it was priced accordingly to allow for a panel upgrade. This is strictly from a valuation perspective and not meant to disrespect the choices different owners make.

16 hours ago, Marauder said:

Tim - my Aspen ACU (my version of the EA-100) has a separate breaker.

bbdd6e58c71200d8efb6e3f7311e49a7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Chris, you’re right I do have a CB. I’ll check it out if it fails again. We had a nice visit at Latrobe. 

20 hours ago, kortopates said:

Many installations have a separate toggle switch for it on the panel but I assume should have a separate CB on the far right quarter panel that you could pull - right?

Yes, I do have a separate CB that I could pull. I try that next time. Thanks

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2019 at 5:20 PM, StevenL757 said:

Steve

I equally wonder out of curiosity from a functionality and compatibility perspective how some owners gravitate to Avidyne only to find themselves chasing bugs and glitches. When Garmin has a plethora of options to suit every panel and taste! GPS/NAV/COMM/MFDs, GPS/COMM/MFDs, GPS/TX/MFDs etc. etc. Of all shapes and sizes! I can’t even imagine where we in GA would be if it wasn’t for Garmin! 

https://www8.garmin.com/aviation/pdfs/GTN_series_brochure.pdf

Edited by m20kmooney
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

OK, a valid response, but let me ask you this.. would you rather rely on King or Garmin? Which one is going to be around in ten years?

Fortunately, those are not the only choices.

Garmin certainly is the main avionics source. IF you want all Garmin panel and don't mind paying for it, they are a great choice.