Looks like the Mid Atlantic details have been published

bradp

7 hours ago, bradp said:

Don’t  want to be perceived as pushing you to do something you don’t want to.  Good that’s everyone has minimums and maximums and you know yours.   I respect that.  -B

No worries at all.  You weren't being at all pushy, just enthusiastic.  I hope you guys have lots of fun.

@steingar, I don't know how much formation experience you have or how badly you really want to do the Caravan this year but it is my experience that the Caravan leadership tries to accommodate folks.

A year or 2 ago the MAG folks did a mini clinic to get @kpauland @Marcopoloqualified only a few weeks before AirVenture. Kevin was well qualified and getting certified was mostly a formality but Ron was a pretty low time VFR pilot with a new to him 231. At least 4 MAG safety pilots, plus me, came to HKY to help - good folks.   

For his part, Ron got a IR friend to fly to Madison/Oshkosh with him just in case there was weather. (While the Caravan itself is VFR only I've had to get to Madison, the departure field, IFR.) 

So... if you want to go badly enough, perhaps you have someone with a IR who would join you for Danville and insure that you could get back home Sunday PM.

Or if you have enough formation experience you might be able to get a sign off. (I intentionally do not get involved in Caravan leadership and I do not speak for them, just relating my experience.)

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting around getting over a cold and did the flight planning for Danville. 4:20 of flying to get there.  Clear customs at Ogdensburg (Yves’ idea).  Then Hagerstown Capital (HGR) then direct KDAN.  Should get there by 5:00 pm or so on Thursday.  Looking forward to practicing RNAV approaches followed by making Lead look good!!!

CHANGED!!

1:15 to Rochester with a 24/7 CPB operation and more runway than you can shake a stick at.   Then 2:42 to Danville.  Shaves 20 minutes off the other one and has only one stop.  Sorry Yves.  (Fledgling member of CB club - saving 20 minutes and 3.5 gallons of Avgas).

• Like 1

Well the weather prevented us from making it to Danville from Ottawa, but Yves and I knew we needed to practice so we set up the first (hey!! I have been overseas a lot!!) training session where we form up off each other and use the Caravan procedures to practice just about everything.  Too bad we are too small to create our own region...

This time, and we will likely do this three or four more times before flying to Madison, lined up on Gatineau's 7000' runway and flew the briefing:

• element take off
  • left turn out to the practice area, 2500', he starts as lead.  Lefts and rights.  
  • change leads, cross-overs.  
  • more turns, change leads
  • overfly his house (did not happen because of virga)
  • his transponder on and talking to ATC the whole time
  • City tour of Ottawa at 3,100' to stay clear of our restricted areas
  • back to Gatineau, join the left hand circuit for 09, drop gear on downwind, turns to base and final and element landing on 09. (We had to use two pumps of flaps because of a 172 taking their time to clear the runway).

Flight path on https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CFQKM/history/20180623/1415Z/CYND/CYND.

Video here was a combo effort from Yves and myself and our right seaters (and I do apologize for my dirty windscreen) on youtube here:

I am hoping to build the interface between our audio panel and the iPhone to collect all radio traffic from this idea (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLQsEtl6TR4) and make better videos of our next few sorties.

I hear the folks in Danville had a very good set of flights and looking forward to see everyone in Madison on the 19th/20th of July.

• Like 4

Back home from DAN. We did have a good time and qualified several newbies. Saw quite a few MSers there, some we only knew electronically. Thanks to KP, Slim, Goat, Sled and all the other safety pilots who came in to help. 

@Ned Gravel, there was quite a lot of weather around that interfered with arrivals Friday and delayed training flights Saturday. Today was clear and not very hot making everybody look good. 

See y'all in Madison!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Fun Caravan Clinic with @Marcopolo, @kpaul, and Nancy.

(I was able to qualify for KOSH again because KP lent me his nice M20F for an hour refresher! We meet the finest people flying Mooneys.) 

IMG_20180622_122235607_HDR[1].jpg

HA.  Your windscreen is cleaner than mine.

• Haha 1

On 6/17/2018 at 2:31 AM, Ned Gravel said:

Sitting around getting over a cold and did the flight planning for Danville. 4:20 of flying to get there.  Clear customs at Ogdensburg (Yves’ idea).  Then Hagerstown Capital (HGR) then direct KDAN.  Should get there by 5:00 pm or so on Thursday.  Looking forward to practicing RNAV approaches followed by making Lead look good!!!

CHANGED!!

1:15 to Rochester with a 24/7 CPB operation and more runway than you can shake a stick at.   Then 2:42 to Danville.  Shaves 20 minutes off the other one and has only one stop.  Sorry Yves.  (Fledgling member of CB club - saving 20 minutes and 3.5 gallons of Avgas).

Hey next time you guys are at KOGS - let me know - either pop by or I'll pop by since that is 7 min away.

3 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Fun Caravan Clinic with @Marcopolo, @kpaul, and Nancy.

(I was able to qualify for KOSH again because KP lent me his nice M20F for an hour refresher! We meet the finest people flying Mooneys.) 

IMG_20180622_120751641_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20180622_122101406[1].jpg

IMG_20180624_115945589[1].jpg

IMG_20180622_122235607_HDR[1].jpg

I noticed that Nancy was happier flying with @Marcopolothan when he was on the wing!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

[mention=14051]steingar[/mention], I don't know how much formation experience you have or how badly you really want to do the Caravan this year but it is my experience that the Caravan leadership tries to accommodate folks....Or if you have enough formation experience you might be able to get a sign off.

Bob is right that the Caravan tries to accommodate everyone who registers, reviews the training materials, and meets other pilots to practice what’s been circulated and briefed. Everyone who flies each year fulfills these commitments in the months preceding that year’s flight...others have posted some great photos here showing that. We’ve accommodated pilots from abroad or with other geographic or schedule challenges. We’ve also had pilots demonstrate proficiency and currency with our B2Osh colleagues.

However, it is not possible to just “show up” and fly, no matter your credentials or experience. We’ve got a system and procedures, and there is no one with the authority to “sign off” someone who’s never flown with members of our Ops Group and leadership and recently demonstrated the requisite skills.

Every Caravaner can rely on the fact that, without exception, each pilot on the MSN-OSH mission will have demonstrated proficiency and currency in the months before attending the preflight briefing in Madison. Of course, those with experience will find it easier to do so, but most Mooney pilots who do the prep pick up the basics needed for the OSH flight in a few sorties.

Hey, I lost my passenger for Oshkosh, so no formation with me anyway. I won't do it by myself.  Glad you guys had fun, wish I could have been there.  I had a great time myself, flew Mrs. Steingar up to Toledo, saw friends.  Made a fuel stop and gassed up on the cheapest fuel in the state.  And Mrs. Steingar even said she was warming up to the Mooney.  A very good day indeed.

• Like 1

Big thanks to Goat for his work in organizing/reorganizing the clinic with all of the weather challenges and participant changes. Planning one of these is one thing, making everything work when the deviations from the plan start happening is something entirely different. Well done Sir.

Cheers,
Rick