Marina airport crash / fatality

Tony Starke

Jammed elevator, medical (seizure etc.), runaway trim? Interview at airport referred to pilot as a “regular” and that he just stopped there for fuel. Terrible news to start the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Looks like a situation where Mike E

Mike is aware and working on the contacts.  Jolie first posted this on FB over the weekend.  The Bill Gilliland Foundation will be at work again...unfortunately. 

• Sad 1

I had a seat rail failure when I first bought my plane. It was a less than ideal situation, but not catastrophic. If the trim was still set to full nose up & had a seat rail failure , then you have a problem. 

3 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

This was the first thing that came to mind, and memories of many Cessna incidents like this back in the 80's.

Yeah - me too.  I was thinking that a shorter pilot might make a safety enhancement to their airplane (whatever model) and getting a small wooden box and put it on the floor behind their seat - so it would be impossible for the seat to slide back too far.

I am very tall and long legged and I did test that I could fly my plane sufficiently with the seat all the way back past the holes and jammed on the back seat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thinwing said:

Would taking off with full fuel and full flaps with trim set for landing cause an extreme pitchup?

I don't think so...I just did this with my transition training last weekend in the C.  Perhaps what you mentioned plus seat slippage and it could be a bigger problem.

5 hours ago, thinwing said:

Would taking off with full fuel and full flaps with trim set for landing cause an extreme pitchup?

Happened to me once as a new Mooney pilot, just takes a little distraction. No rotation, just levitated into the air and climbed steeply. Quickly figured it out, reduced flaps, trimmed a lot then raised the rest of the flaps. Should be a non-issue, but may have had other problems or more of a distraction than my buddy provided me.

3 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Yeah - me too.  I was thinking that a shorter pilot might make a safety enhancement to their airplane (whatever model) and getting a small wooden box and put it on the floor behind their seat - so it would be impossible for the seat to slide back too far.

That's just not practical in a short body. To get in and out of the left seat, it really needs to be all the way back, which means touching the back seat. My wife always asks if she is clear to slide her seat back after I shut down, and its quick and easy to move anything on the floor out of the way.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I am very tall and long legged and I did test that I could fly my plane sufficiently with the seat all the way back past the holes and jammed on the back seat.

The pilot’s seat on Piper Comanches have 2 fixed stops on the seat rails to restrict aft travel.  The passenger seat has full travel for loading ease.

Clarence

10 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

The pilot’s seat on Piper Comanches have 2 fixed stops on the seat rails to restrict aft travel.  The passenger seat has full travel for loading ease.

Clarence

Someone should make a screw on seat stop for the rails behind the seat for other model airplanes like a mine vice clamp.

10 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Someone should make a screw on seat stop for the rails behind the seat for other model airplanes like a mine vice clamp.

The Comanche rails are twice the size of Mooney rails.  The seat stops are secured to the top of the rail with 2 screws per rail.

Clarence

47BCE879-2E08-49D7-917E-21E2BA84E1BD.jpeg

Clarence wasn't there a relatively recent AD for Cessna seats for seats becoming unlocked?

From the looks of the H stab in the video I can't tell whether it was in an extreme trim position due to the empennage being distorted. Hopefully this will be able to be addressed by the NTSB investigation. 

Sad news.  

Cessna has a cool mod for the seat problem , They put a seat belt with cable clutch connected to the seat adjuster , The belt goes between the floor and the seat.... If the tracks fail , the belt prevents the seat from going back..... Simple design...

I also inadvertently took off with full flaps and takeoff trim once.  I have to admit, by the time I got the gear stowed I was about 3mph north of a departure stall.  That was close.  That said, I had sufficient altitude at that point for a recovery, so long as I did it properly.

• Like 1