Mooney M20r/s instruction

Niko182

Does any one know or have an ovation or eagle that they rent out, where I can get a couple hours of flying for insurance for the m20s I am about to aquire?

Located in KSNA, and would like to try to find a way to ferry the aircraft back myself. If you have any opinions about this, feel free to comment.

8 hours ago, Niko182 said:

Does any one know or have an ovation or eagle that they rent out, where I can get a couple hours of flying for insurance for the m20s I am about to aquire?

Located in KSNA, and would like to try to find a way to ferry the aircraft back myself. If you have any opinions about this, feel free to comment.

https://mooneyspace.com/profile/7862-kortopates/

He's in San Diego and is a well respected Mooney Instructor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

Pilot is in CA but it looks like the plane is in northern WI. I agree with the above. Hire a good instructor and fly the plane back with him. 

Thanks for the help. Thats props what i will do

Thanks for the help. Thats props what i will do

For what it's worth, a handful of hours in type isn't enough to get you a break in your insurance. Probably more like a 50-100 and how much complex and high performance you have.
As others said, hire an instructor that knows the plane and it's systems to help bring it back with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

This would be a great option especially with his knowledge of engine/systems to make sure everything is working perfectly. 

As of right now, my plan is to fly it back with my instructor (james mason) from kenosha.

Hopefully it ends up being a fun trip where I can log some retract, HP and ifr time.

Bear in mind that on a long cross country getting training there and considering it done may not involve enough takeoff and landings. This is where most problems happen with low time intype pilots occur with long body Mooneys. Took me quite afew T.O. & LDZ  in my Ovation to feel comfortable with it on shorter fields and crosswinds and what not. That is my opinion.

Just now, triple8s said:

Bear in mind that on a long cross country getting training there and considering it done may not involve enough takeoff and landings. This is where most problems happen with low time intype pilots occur with long body Mooneys. Took me quite afew T.O. & LDZ  in my Ovation to feel comfortable with it on shorter fields and crosswinds and what not. That is my opinion.

Also probably going to do at least 50 to 70 takepoff and landings before i feel comfy getting in and out of decent sized airports.

• Like 1

And if you are at SNA - make sure you're hitting your landings consistently before sidestepping to 19L er ... 20L.  One thing you'll find different about the mooney is that you can never force it to land before it's ready to land.  

If anything you'll feel a lot more comfortable in a crosswind than in the models you've previously flown - just work your way up. 

1 hour ago, bradp said:

And if you are at SNA - make sure you're hitting your landings consistently before sidestepping to 19L er ... 20L.  One thing you'll find different about the mooney is that you can never force it to land before it's ready to land.  

If anything you'll feel a lot more comfortable in a crosswind than in the models you've previously flown - just work your way up. 

That is probably going to be my first goal. I can get the Cessna down in about 450ft ground roll now, so I'm going to try to get as consistent as possible landing short distances in the mooney.

On 3/29/2018 at 9:33 PM, bradp said:

Thats another thing that suprised me about mooneys how well they do in a crosswind. Once i did get relatively comfortable landing i found the thing handled pretty good in crosswinds and gusts and such. THE most important thing is getting the approach speed (energy) right and then it does quite nicely, however, the darn thing will still humble me once in awhile and when it does, the best thing to do unless you have lots of runway ahead of you is to go around. I always have it in my mind that a go around,  is always a possibility. When i forget that is when i get humbled. So when i am set up for approach i have the trim where i am holding it off. I dont trim for hands off landings because if it is trimmed that way and you do have to go around the nose takes lots of force to hold down. So i have rudder trim in T.O. position, and T.O. position flaps so the forces are not as great. Only if the runway is short do i use full flaps. Also and this is controversial, i use speed breaks on approach and landing so it doesnt float quite as bad and if i need to go around they retract quickly. All in all the machine is not hard to fly or land if things are planned and energy is managed for the prevailing conditons. Great airplanes they are just not as tolerant of sloppy piloting as other makes.