Artec 345 elt

• 2 weeks later...

You have to either replace the antenna under the fin with a new one or put the new antenna outside of the fin with a doubler..

http://www.mooney.com/en/si/M20-116.pdf

the installer will de-rivet the fin, replace the antenna and reattach the fin. 

I am looking to see if the 110-773 (B) antenna can be used with the Artex 1000 ELT.  the 345 does not have the GPS squitter, and the 1000 also uses the 2 wire switch. 

Edited by PaulM
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, warren.huisman said:

I am wondering if anyone was able to get 406 antenna mounted under the dorsal fin?  

Yes. It did require drilling and re-rivet of the Dorsal fin, touch up paint. No biggie, just time by someone who will do it right. Thanks Arnold Holmes!

I had a 406 installed in my plane. The local mechanic said he would have to drill out the fairing to install the new antenna. He made it sound like a big job that would really mess up my paint job. I had I whip antenna installed with a doubler. It looks very ugly and I regret doing it. I since have had some paint touch up done and it wasn't a big deal. I plan on installing the blade antenna now and getting rid of the whip on the fuselage. 

• Like 1

I bought an ARTEX 345 which is a drop-in replacement for the elt, but u need to buy another antenna. That is the part I didn't know. That requires drilling out some fairings in the tail to put in the new 406 antennae. I just put in the doubler and antenna the came with the new ELT. So now I have a whip antenna that is very ugly. If you want the ARTEX with a blade antenna in the tail as we had before. You will have to purchase another antenna and 10+ hours labor. So the 406 upgrades that I thought was going to be a small less than 1k upgrade does turn out to be much more than that. Just my experience probably as a new owner but it was a shocker for me just wanting to do a simple upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone share the details of the blade antenna that matches to the ARTEX 345 ELT.  Like some of you, I thought this was a simple replacement using the same antenna that was already installed (naive!).  Need antenna manufacturer and model number.

Thanks

• 2 years later...

I'm in this exact same boat right now.  I've got my M20J at the avionics shop currently and they're doing a new panel, including the Artex 345.  However, I asked him to hold off on the ELT for now because he said he'd have to install the whip into a new hole with a doubler.  He suggested that even if he were to grind off the cherry max rivets holding down the fairing that the ELT antenna wouldn't fit (I assume he's talking about the whip though, not a blade style).

What is the compatible blade antenna that fits under the dorsal fin for the Artex 345?

Thanks! Derek

11 minutes ago, Derek said:

I'm in this exact same boat right now.  I've got my M20J at the avionics shop currently and they're doing a new panel, including the Artex 345.  However, I asked him to hold off on the ELT for now because he said he'd have to install the whip into a new hole with a doubler.  He suggested that even if he were to grind off the cherry max rivets holding down the fairing that the ELT antenna wouldn't fit (I assume he's talking about the whip though, not a blade style).

What is the compatible blade antenna that fits under the dorsal fin for the Artex 345?

Thanks! Derek

This addresses this subject:

https://www.mooney.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/SIM20-116.pdf

• Thanks 1