Rigging the plane

Tommy

So my plane is finally getting its well-deserved panel upgrade next month and I thought it might be a good opportunity to get something done about one thing that is bugging me for a while since the belly panel is going to come off.

It seems like my plane only flies straight and level with small degree L) aileron deflection. I figure it's probably to do with the rudder being deflected to the right. It seems getting worse now and I feel like I am flying in ever so slight sideslip and am paying some aerodynamic penalty for this.

Does anyone have this problem before and is able to shed some light on this for me please?

Thanks guys!

Tommy

ps. The A&E did notice there is some slack in the aileron control rod towards the left last annual but elected to leave it alone.

Tommy,

This is what they made the ‘travel boards’ for.

Some Mooney specific, angle of deflection, measuring devices.

If your rudder is out of alignment, that would show up on the TC’s ball in level flight...

Somebody experienced with the rigging procedure can probably tell you more about where the procedure starts and ends...

If going through all this you may be wise to purchase some brand new bearings to make the controls like new again...

Check with your mechanic, prior to ordering...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

So my plane is finally getting its well-deserved panel upgrade next month and I thought it might be a good opportunity to get something done about one thing that is bugging me for a while since the belly panel is going to come off.
It seems like my plane only flies straight and level with small degree L) aileron deflection. I figure it's probably to do with the rudder being deflected to the right. It seems getting worse now and I feel like I am flying in ever so slight sideslip and am paying some aerodynamic penalty for this.
Does anyone have this problem before and is able to shed some light on this for me please?
Thanks guys!
Tommy
ps. The A&E did notice there is some slack in the aileron control rod towards the left last annual but elected to leave it alone.
Tommy, the Mooney has specific tools for setting the alignment of the plane up correctly. If your AP doesn't have them you can rent them but a better option is to take that plane and do what it does best, travel to a Mooney service center and have them make the adjustments. I had my AP check and replace anything that was worn in the control department then get it close to straight. Took it to the service center and was blown away at flying hands off on the way home. If that Mooney is straight and adjusted correctly it will fly with little input. I gained several knots on the way home flying straight and not crabbing. Lasar has a few great "fixes" that are easy to do and well worth it for the control rods and trim system. Call them and they can help. Good luck.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The process is laid out in the manual quite well.  It is time consuming but very doable with the travel boards.  Get a set and go through the procedure with you mechanic.  You will learn a lot about your plane and exactly how the controls work.

• Like 1

On mine when I got it, it flew pretty straight.  At my first annual, the A&P noticed that the ailerons, flaps, and rudder were all rigged out of spec.  He broke out the travel boards and put them all back to spec.  Well, after that the plane would roll hard left if you let go of the controls (about 10 degrees per second roll rate).  With substantial aileron input only, the plane would fly straight and the ball was centered. 

We have since dropped the left flap 3/4 degree and it is close.  One degree drop will probably be about right.  Don't know what this will do to my airspeed, but it will certainly reduce the cramping in my left arm!

• Like 1

Tommy,

With the plane leveled laterally and longitudinally make sure the instrument panel Lord mounts are in good condition and not sagging or broken and that the ball on the turn coordinator is centred.

As others have said travel boards are required to set thing to neutral and to set overall travels.  In the absence of them we can figure out how to do it with an inclinometer.

Clarence

The ball is ever so slightly swung to the right (I think the ball is just ouching the right center line) 

The yoke is tilting left ward and the aileron on the left wing is up-deflected a bit. The plane will hold straight and level but only in this configuration. I am wondering if it's the rudder alignment is out. 

Will definitely get the rigging boards!

Good thought on the flap but as far as I can tell they are full retracted. I am not sure if I am happy to rig the flap as a solution, which also likely has its own aerodynamic penalty!. 

I normally try to suck up flaps from wing that’s higher in roll. I only then put in some flap after no adjustment is left. 

All of this is done while trying to get the ball centered With the rudder trim tab. Some install aileron trim tabs, however this is not approved on any M20 except for the STC “aero trims” adjustable electric trim tab. 

Keep in mind it will only be in “trim” at one speed. All other speeds you might have a slight roll. 

It’s nice to start with boards. However, I don’t need to take the boards to an airplane that flys straight. 

-Matt

Don't use the travel boards. That are just to get you in the vicinity after removing flight controls. The fine tune adjustment like you are making has to be done with trial and error. The service centers often do 3-5 flights for this fine tuning, it can be time consuming. 

Do you see the same roll at different flap positions?

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Don't use the travel boards. That are just to get you in the vicinity after removing flight controls.

If you don't use the travel boards, how do you ensure that the flight surfaces and travel limitations are within spec?

I can understand tweaking within those limits, but if you subsequently go beyond that, wouldn't you be out of the type certificate specs?

30 minutes ago, Cyril Gibb said:

If you don't use the travel boards, how do you ensure that the flight surfaces and travel limitations are within spec?

I can understand tweaking within those limits, but if you subsequently go beyond that, wouldn't you be out of the type certificate specs?

I"m saying don't set it to the travel boards and then fine tune because that would be 2 steps back. 

-Robert 

5 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Don't use the travel boards. That are just to get you in the vicinity after removing flight controls. The fine tune adjustment like you are making has to be done with trial and error. The service centers often do 3-5 flights for this fine tuning, it can be time consuming. 

The fine tuning comes after the travel broads...who's to say that this aircraft hasn't had multiple tweaks over its life time and is no longer in proper rig? You can't just jump in the middle and work your way out, you might get it to fly hands free but is it truly in rig, i would say no unless you got extremely lucky. Years ago I flew a C-150 that would fly hands free, I went by while it was in for an extensive annual and they were rigging the controls, still flew hands free when done but felt different (better) and was 5 mph faster. 

Has anyone discussed the effects of fuel weight?

My M20C did not have a wingleveler... it was inop.

I did a lot of WnB experiments trying to eke out some extra speed and controllability...

I noticed some days the plane would roll left, most often.  Other times it would roll right...

Is it possible what Tommy is witnessing is the lateral imbalance of the weight of the pilot and fuel?

On one occasion I flew my M20C with a perfect balance of weight, completely hands-off controlled by pilot leaning in the cockpit...while maintaining the magenta line (numbers on the Loran indicating a centerline). Incredibly nice smooth weather day...

note for Tommy... try to burn off fuel from the heavy wing, see how many gallons need to be used before the plane stays level.  Then as fuel burns off, the other wing will lead the roll....

Probably out of rig if the heavy wing is empty...

Fun PP memories... not a mechanic or CFI...

-a-

• Like 1

@carusoam, they're at RACWA in Perth. The Australian Mooney pilots association also own a set (mooney.org.au) that are available for use to members for the cost of postage (I believe they're kept in Albury, NSW) @Tommy where are you located?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ujhan said:

@carusoam, they're at RACWA in Perth. The Australian Mooney pilots association also own a set (mooney.org.au) that are available for use to members for the cost of postage (I believe they're kept in Albury, NSW) @Tommy where are you located?

I am based in Brisbane. I did email the guy but yet to hear back from him. It is Easter here. 

Sounds like potentially a big job. If I don't need elevator rigging, do I still need to life the plane?